What's new

Wings3D, Help thread (NL)

Probably not without screwing up the texture on that face.
You can add nodes edges etc, but you can't move or remove any of them since that would screw it up.
But you just have to redo the texture of that face you change.

I don't mind re-applying the texture afterwards, but because I made the side wall already and need to put two doors in it. Is there a way to use a cube the shape and size I want for the door to make a clean cut through the wall?
Or is there an easier way to do it?

^ There is a boolean type way to do stuff in wings, but I haven't tested it.

^^ You have 2 options, either create the doors on both sides on the object and then bridge them together.

Or you could make a cube with the shape of the door, place it within the wall, invert it, and bridge it together. Have a look at: http://www.geocities.com/paulthepuzzles ... eweld.html

Finally, after being a beta for 8 years!! they have finally reached 1.0, so if you haven't updated in a while this is the time to do it.

www.wings3d.com

If I update will it affect anything I've made so far on my Saw rec?
Also what's changed in this version?

It shouldn't affect anything compatibility wise, during the last few updates they have finalized all features and removed a lot of bugs so that everything is done for 1.0. I have never had any compatibility issues with any earlier updates, even if I have installed every version since I first downloaded it.

Just uninstall it and install the new version and everything should work perfectly.

Next update (the development version) is to optimize the program to make it run faster.

Is there a way to make the program run faster when I'm working in it? It seems the more I build the slower it goes.
How do you reduce polygons like you and Erol talk about? Will that make it run faster? And can I do it although I've already built most of it?

^ Yeah, showing more polygons = more processing power = slower program.

But do you use the "Eye" and the "Lock" on the objects in the "Geometry Graph" window?

If you lock an object then the program needs less resources = faster, so "Lock" (click on the lock on the object in the Geometry Graph window) it also helps you from screwing up the other things around the stuff you are working on, by not being able to accidentally select the things around...

Then if you are working inside a room in the station, then you don't really need to see all the stuff outside the building, etc... So you can use the "Eye" to disable all the other objects you don't need to see at that moment, this also speeds thing up a lot!!

I've never really ventured into the menus that much. I'll give it a go next time I'm on it.
Thanks. :)

I like this thread it helps alot. :)

Another problem and it's really affecting my Saw recreation.
Whenever I go to put my saw file into the track-packager it comes up saying there are loads of textures missing. I've moved them all into the right folder in the No Limits object file and kept them loose but it still keeps coming up saying they're missing.

Do you know what the problem is as I know the files are there but it can't find them. And I need to send the ride to another computer downstairs so I can start with the filming for when it's finished.

I have no idea about the Track Packager problem, is all the textures working in NL?

It could be some texture limit/object thing acting up maybe...

Lol if I can't sort it out then my whole Saw rec is screwed. All the textures show in Wings and when I put each section of the ride (each part is a different object file) and put it in the sim and go to package it it comes up with that error. I remember doing it before when I just sent the file for the queue line downstairs to do some filming and only some of the textures showed when we went into the sim.

That can happen from time to time. Nobody has the same computer, so it could be something internal, or something wrong with wings itself. The best thing to do when making overly large themed rides (or recreations) is to export the objects individually, such as the station, or queue or whatever, then piece them together. This way, once one object is done, you no longer have to worry about textures.

^That's what I've done. I've exported each section of the ride as different objects and tried to line them up in the sim. But I can't ride it on my PC with all the objects as it crashes so I have to send it to my brothers computer downstairs. But now it keeps coming up saying loads of textures are missing when they're not. :?

^Do you have a sharable drive network? If not, then the textures could still be on your pc and have not gotten transferred to your brothers pc ;)

^I haven't got them onto my brothers PC yet. I'm trying to put it in a track package to send it but It's not recognising the textures. If I sent the rendered Wings 3D files across and the textures in a zip folder would he be able to put it in the sim and do it that way? Or wouldn't that work?

I simply cannot work this program lol! I am using Windows, and how the hell do you make something??? I can only make basic shapes... And to go up and down (Using arrow keys to pan around screen) Takes about an hour to get to the other side!!! Could someone PM me some tips, and maybe Ollie, you could tell me how you done your space ships... Amazing for a first try! And your saw rec is AMAZING!

Edit: Sorted it myself :eek:

you need either the old terraformer or the construction kit.