Votes: 1 4.0%
  • NEITHER!

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I like the old one... I prefer the songs. I prefer the Umpa Lumpas.

I like the new one. But it's Burton so you can only watch it once every 24 years.

However, I'm an arse-hole and think that sticking to the source material is more important than making a good film so...

No! WAIT!

The Shining... Kubrick didn't use the source exactly and made a good film... The one that used the source exactly was complete and utter dross!

Oh dear... But... Americanised version of a British book - makes my flesh crawl...

Willy ****er... Oh my... Erm... I abstain!

Rush

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Because CGI's are like, totally the lazy way out...

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

I hope you realise that CGI is way more complicated than clicking a few buttons and drawing a couple of lines. It certainly isn't easy. CGI makes it look a huge amount better, not because it's an easy way out. (Which it certainly isn't.)

Maybe you should write to Pixar, arguing how lazy they are and demand them to re-make Toy Story using finger puppets and sets made out of cardboard and pipe cleaners.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
The new movie still isn't that good.

I think the reality of the situation is that the old one isn't either :p

Ollie

CF Legend
I swear Taylor must be making more accounts and voting in the poll as there is no way the Willy should be winning. :p
I really want to watch CatCF again now. But my sister had the disk last and she's probably lost it.

I think the reality of the situation is that the old one isn't either

The old one is one of the films I can almost recite the entire way through and it's in my top like, five/ten movies, whereas the new one is nowhere even near.

Ben

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I think the reality of the situation is that the old one isn't either

The old one is one of the films I can almost recite the entire way through and it's in my top like, five/ten movies, whereas the new one is nowhere even near.

Pssst... Taylor... newsflash... we don't all have to agree with you! Stop saying that like it somehow nullifies his opinion!

kimahri

CF Legend
I prefer the old movie purely because is saw it first...

To be honest, WWATCF seems to be more inspired by the book but goes of to do it's own thing while Charlie an adaptation.

And stuff.

Edit. Also, Scary tunnel <3

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Burton did kill the magic from the original Wonka, using it to promote his gothicy crap effects he blends into films.

Depp acted awful as Wonka. I wanted to pull them big fat teeth out of his mouth, they were too white!

Ben

CF Legend
Ormerod said:
Burton did kill the magic from the original Wonka, using it to promote his gothicy crap effects he blends into films.

Charlie is in absolutely no way whatsoever gothic... in any description.

nealbie

CF Legend
Is anyone actually going to post something relevant like the fact that Charlie was much closer to the subject matter it was based upon than Wonka ever was? :roll:

Ormerod said:

Depp acted awful as Wonka. I wanted to pull them big fat teeth out of his mouth, they were too white!

1) Where are these effects? Are we talking about the same film?

and 2) How is having "too white" a set of choppers a reason for the film to be crap? Explain please. His Dad afterall is a dentist, possible reasoning hmm? :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
If your talking about these 'effects' they put a almost cartoonish look on the film, which works really well in the art deco style.

Karen

Hyper Poster
I love them both and nether of them are true to the original book.

I love the whole innocent feeling to the original film.

I love how the second one keeps the songs very close to the ones in the book.

Both are fantastic for the decade in which they were each made.

Jake

Strata Poster
Ian said:
"The other one is better than the other one and I've read the book so my opinion matters more than most"

YAWN. That is such a gay argument.

That best one is the old one, there's something more charming and enjoyable about it. Seems more realistic, and I use that term very loosely.

I know what you mean, it's probably because so much stuff is computer generated in the new one, whereas they had to actually make all the stuff for the original, I especially love the giant room where everything is made of sweets in the first one, it's so magical.

So yeah, I like Willy more... I don't read books, so don't give a crap what's in the book.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Going back to Neal's post, If you watch all Tim Burton films, he over exaggerates elements, and makes bits worse. I realised he killed some of my favourite scenes from the original (The boat ride through the tunnel).

Johnny Depp (like I mentioned in my previous post) really burnt the biscuit for me. I loved Gene Wilder as Wonka, he was off the wall and obscene. Depp just played a trippier version of him. He didn't look good as Wonka either.