What's new

Will we ever see another huge 4D Coaster?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Theres currently only 3 operating S&S/Arrow 4D Coasters operating currently, and there hasn't been one built since 2012.

Will we ever see another one built? They are said to be some of the most intense and popular coasters out there, so why haven't more parks purchased them? Is it down to cost or maintenance?

Last edited:

bernatc22

Mega Poster
The way I see it, both factors play a big role. They are very expensive, and require high maintenance, which could be understandable if they were the #1 choice for all publics, but I believe most GP have the same emotion when riding a B&M hyper or giga than a 4D, because they just don't care. So, for a park, a big, safe investment such a hyper or giga coaster is a much safer and profitable bet than a 4D coaster.
So personally I'd say no more 4D's will be built, sadly.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
I can imagine them building a new version of it, or maybe B&M having a go at something with a similar concept.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I can imagine them building a new version of it, or maybe B&M having a go at something with a similar concept.

I don't see why B&M would. They haven't made any new products in 8 years. Their coasters are all very safe; they haven't exactly innovated in several years.

As a company, it seems like parks go to them if they want a tried and tested product with tried and tested elements. I don't see why anyone would go to them and say "can you build us a gigantic risk of a ride costing tens of millions of pounds please"?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oh god I hope so!
They are fantastic machines, magnificent and imposing in their huge size and 'new brutalism' styling. I've only ridden X2, supposedly the weakest of the three, but man, what a total clusterf**k of speed, insane forces and noise. Absolutely loved it.
Massively expensive and a maintenance nightmare no doubt, but I wouldn't be surprised if another one pops up in China somewhere, or Dubai maybe. Or possibly even Energylandia at the rate they're going. But I wouldn't put money it. My advice to any 4D virgins would be to try and ride one of the existing three before they're all scrapped.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
I don't see why B&M would. They haven't made any new products in 8 years. Their coasters are all very safe; they haven't exactly innovated in several years.

As a company, it seems like parks go to them if they want a tried and tested product with tried and tested elements. I don't see why anyone would go to them and say "can you build us a gigantic risk of a ride costing tens of millions of pounds please"?
That's exactly what they did with the dive machine and flying coaster and that worked out ok for them.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
That's exactly what they did with the dive machine and flying coaster and that worked out ok for them.

Even with the flying model though B&M basically just polished a concept that Vekoma already tried.. Sure Air did things better but it wasn't a completely original idea. Dive Machines when boiled down is just a standard coaster with a steep drop, i wouldn't really call that too outside the box either..
Even the wing coaster was basically just a perfected version of something Intamin already done (Furius Baco)..

JoshC.

Strata Poster

The flying coaster was almost 18 years ago. Times change, the industry has involved and they're not the same pedestal they once were.

Think of it this way: 18 years ago, Nokia was up there as one of the best mobile phone manufacturers. Today, they are not, and you wouldn't expect them to be creating a flawless touch-screen folding phone. You'd go elsewhere for that. It's much the same with B&M and 4Ds imo

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
Even with the flying model though B&M basically just polished a concept that Vekoma already tried.. Sure Air did things better but it wasn't a completely original idea. Dive Machines when boiled down is just a standard coaster with a steep drop, i wouldn't really call that too outside the box either..
Even the wing coaster was basically just a perfected version of something Intamin already done (Furius Baco)..
But that's what I mean, B&M have past form with taking a flawed concept and getting it right, they could do the same with the 4D coasters and make something with the same forces but more reliable and a lot smoother.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
No s and a isn't intending to build another one of these if the new concept didn't exist maybe a Chinese Park would, but they'd go for the new concept, I the only company I can imagine designing a new type of one is vekoma, just seems like something they'd do

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's mostly a matter of costs vs. benefits. 4D coasters are immensely huge, have trains the size of buses with terribly many moving parts to maintain, require a complex support system, and hence carry a pretty hefty price tag both upon purchase and for upkeep. And they take up a lot of land and require a favourable relationship with whatever height or noise regulations that are in play. Sure, they are impressive and enthusiasts love them, but maybe they do that a little too much - practically speaking, they are the hardest-core thrill coasters you can buy, meaning that only a somewhat narrow segment of your target market would even want to ride them. And overall there is only a tiny handful of parks that could want to build one of them in the first place. Worldwide, that is. They're out of the price/scope/regulations range for all but a few players.

I think most of those parks would consider their options, weigh a bit back and forth, and find out there are better ways to spend their money. They could get an even bigger coaster for the same price tag, with a wider market appeal. Or maybe a coaster that carries the same white-knuckle factor for the thrillseekers (say, a Dive Machine or a launched multilooper - most park guests would consider them just as impressive) but costs way less. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the Free Spin coasters draw almost as many guests to the Six Flags parks as a 4D like X2 would, and adjusted for costs I don't even think there's a contest.

There's also the argument that 4D coasters are notoriously inflexible when it comes to layouts (you're practically forced to start with a vertical drop and a raven turn, and then do it somewhat compact from there, much like a Dive Machine) so that even for the great price, you're not getting something unique - the coaster would probably resemble X2, Eejanaika and Dinoconda - but I'm not sure how good of an argument that is. Parks build pretty samey Dive Machines all the time, for instance.

Maybe the 4D coasters will stand as the high water mark of crazy coasters this century. Very big, very thrilling, very expensive, and all around not very practical when considering the cost. The industry has seen a shift recently into smaller coasters that deliver white-knuckle thrills on a tiny footprint at a fraction of the cost of the huge multi-loopers that dominated the industry around the turn of the millennium. Maybe time and technology just moved away from the 4D coasters.

BBH

Giga Poster
I mean, with the crazy oligarch money being funnelled into some theme parks in the East, you never know. But outside of that, I consider it highly unlikely, especially since I'm not even sure that S&S offers it anymore now that they have the FreeSpin, which is designed to be scaleable.

rctneil

Roller Poster
I personally can't see another one being built just due to the crazy costs and maintenance required. I've ridden all three of the ones built and they all to me felt very similar. They can be pretty rough but you do get back to the station just going "Wow! What the heck just happened?". I just love coasters that leave you like that. They provide such a unique experience that I would highly recommend at least trying once if you can. Just don't take the back outside seats! Inside seats are where it's at!