What's new

Will another launch method be discovered in a future?

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
Since the last launch method invention several years have gone by. Maybe a company like Intamin of S&S is investing in a new launch system for a future. I would be incredibly intrigued in knowing how it would function, but it might not even occur. It could change the market quite a lot, especially if it is a reliable or cheaper mechanism like an evolved version of LSMs.

BTW, by future I mean 20 years or less.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
I mean, what's left? Pushing with some kind of arm? Unless we discover something new, we have seen every type of method possible.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I think it would be funny to see hyper-strengthened cables in the future so we see a horizontal 'slingshot' launch, like on those flat rides, that are strong enough to launch a train

Dar

Hyper Poster
I mean, what's left? Pushing with some kind of arm? Unless we discover something new, we have seen every type of method possible.
Revolution at BPB would like a word!

Instead of new launch methods, I can see R&D looking more at how to make the current systems better and easier to use. Smaller stators so you can put them on tighter radii turns, higher efficiency so you need fewer stators and less power/cooling, maybe even looking into better power storage solutions, that sort of thing

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
Perhaps one day. However, I don't think we'll know what it will be until it's announced. I doubt anyone saw hydraulic launches or compressed air launches coming before they were put on coasters. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt we'll know what the next big launching method will be until it is put on a coaster.

Boodangy

Mega Poster
I think it would be funny to see hyper-strengthened cables in the future so we see a horizontal 'slingshot' launch, like on those flat rides, that are strong enough to launch a train
To expand on this, some of the more controlled/sophisticated slingshot rides use giant banks of springs to cause the actual slingshot effect. Perhaps this could be somehow combined with the good old dropweight system to make a faster system where even larger springs are stretched by a winch pre-launch that also lifts the drop weight, and then the train engages a catch car connected by cable to the drop weight/spring system. Once let go, the springs contract and the drop weight drops, complementing eachother and launching the catch car forward.

Issues I foresee: the requirement for a tower. This wouldn't be an issue if the ride were to have a top hat post launch like an old style S&S Hypersonic XLC type of ride that could house the tower with the springs and drop weight system. Also, while the drop weight would be reliable and long life, the springs after so many launches might wear out and although the smaller ones are relatively cheap, springs large enough to boost the drop weight launch would probably cause excessive wear & tear on the attached structure and replacement might be costly. However, this kind of system would most likely not require nearly as much cooling as other popular launch types. But I'm no engineer.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We had a thread like this a few years back with some interesting discussions:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Come on now...bit of imagination required...
A small explosive charge with a damper and recoil device...clamping heads to headrests compulsory of course.

Reactions: Dar

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Instead of new launch methods, I can see R&D looking more at how to make the current systems better and easier to use. Smaller stators so you can put them on tighter radii turns, higher efficiency so you need fewer stators and less power/cooling, maybe even looking into better power storage solutions, that sort of thing
This was where my mind went. LSMs for instance take up far less footprint than LIM of old, thanks to smarter computing and calculation. Or inventions like the swing launch, that let you maximize space efficiency using the same launch multiple times.

One forecast I would have is launching track with the train. We are already seeing designs that involve moving track - having ability to quickly move more structure could lend to better dark ride theming and storytelling.

Another thing I’ve always been interested in is using energy recapture technology in the brake run. This historically would be redundant, excessive technology with new true return on investment - but as technology has improved, especially in efficiency gains of squeezing out every ounce of energy on electric motor regenerative braking capture, a roller coaster could have LSMs on the brakes to recapture energy that would be fed right back into the ride’s electrical system or local park grid. No storage required even!

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Disney (apparently) filed a patent for this not too long ago - kind of a swing propulsion - seems a bit dodgy to me, at first I though it was just a new take on the drop-track, but no apparently the motion is meant to throw the coaster forward - so the track sections had better align first time!!.... also if something goes wrong or a sudden break - think of the whiplash! I could sort of see it working better on a log flume or modern rapids where you would essentially be chucking a boat forwards and onwards towards essential a slide/chute.... the need for tracks and wheels (both under and over often) to engage is more pressing with a coaster!

Also the motion would have to be somewhat controlled of wouldn't it just bash into the lower track with the motion - how would you cushion it? so many questions!
park-ride-with-drop-swing-patent-diagram-2 copy.jpeg

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I also wonder what can be done with air pressure - ever seen one of those compressed air/pneumatic canister tubes? i.e. using suction!

Ethan

Strata Poster
Another thing I’ve always been interested in is using energy recapture technology in the brake run. This historically would be redundant, excessive technology with new true return on investment - but as technology has improved, especially in efficiency gains of squeezing out every ounce of energy on electric motor regenerative braking capture, a roller coaster could have LSMs on the brakes to recapture energy that would be fed right back into the ride’s electrical system or local park grid. No storage required even!
I swear I remember that years ago, Freischütz at Bayern Park was said to do this when it rolls through the station at the end of the ride. Is this true? I can't seem to find any evidence of it now.

Edit- Though I'm not certain on the reliability of the source... There's an article on Park World Online from 2014 stating:
The ride boasts several bragging rights, including the most coaster inversions for Germany and most inversions for any catapult coaster worldwide. It will also be the first to feature a “flying launch,” where braking energy will be recovered and reused for the next thrust start.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Not necessarily a different launch type but i wonder if Nuclear powered launches could be viable. Electrical loads for launches are insanely high and themeparks in general must draw a crazy amount of power.

Some do....
New flat rides have regen braking from the manufacturer and older ones can be refitted with a suitable drive that has a capacitor bank instead of a braking resistor.

The problem with using it on coasters though is that full regen braking isn't considered fail safe like straight up magnetic brakes. In order to get a proper braking effect, you still need to apply voltage to the drive coils, variable AC would give just as much control over the deceleration as it does over the acceleration but DC would give a much faster and harder stop.
I've seen what happens to a ride when the variable frequency drive sneezes 600 volts DC into a running induction motor and it's hilariously terrifying.