What's new

Where are RCT2 files typically stored?

tribar

Mega Poster
I recently got a new computer and copied everything over from my old computer via an external hard drive. However upon installing RCT2 on my new computer, I found that I can't find all of my old parks, tracks etc. Where is this stuff typically stored? Would an external hard drive carry this over? Is it something to do with Windows 8?

Thanks.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's the My Documents folder that's maybe different in Windows 8?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

tribar

Mega Poster
furie said:
I think it's the My Documents folder that's maybe different in Windows 8?

I checked there but I couldn't find it. Only RCT3 files were there.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I must have been thinking of RCT3 then :lol:

I've just looked on my PC and the saved games are stored in a saved games folder in the install folder of the game.

So if the game installed to c:\program files(86)\atari\roller coaster tycoon 2 on your old PC, that's where the save games will be.

Backups of the program files area tends to be hit and miss, as restoring it on a new PC can destroy parts of Windows and pre-installed packages, so it's unusual for a transfer to include them. So you'll need to fire up the old PC and find out where RCT2 is installed and then grab a copy of the Saved Games folder and drop it into the new install folder on the new PC :)

tribar

Mega Poster
furie said:
I must have been thinking of RCT3 then :lol:

I've just looked on my PC and the saved games are stored in a saved games folder in the install folder of the game.

So if the game installed to c:\program files(86)\atari\roller coaster tycoon 2 on your old PC, that's where the save games will be.

Backups of the program files area tends to be hit and miss, as restoring it on a new PC can destroy parts of Windows and pre-installed packages, so it's unusual for a transfer to include them. So you'll need to fire up the old PC and find out where RCT2 is installed and then grab a copy of the Saved Games folder and drop it into the new install folder on the new PC :)

Not an option. My computer crashed. Do you know of any other way?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Only way is to recover your old hard drive I think. You could try dropping it in the new PC as a second drive?