What's new

What should Gröna Lund's next major coaster be?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Saw a few people discuss the feasibility of a Vekoma Tilt Coaster at Gröna Lund over on the Energylandia Construction topic and found it quite an interesting subject.

What on Earth should/could Gröna Lund opt for as their next major coaster?

This is, of course, one of the most compact, tightly-knit parks in the world.

They now have multiple inverts, a woodie, and a classic Schwarzkopf amongst other things.

Taking all of this into account, what do you think would work well for them? And how plausible would it be to 'fit' said ride into the park without compromising any of the much-loved attractions?

Have your say...

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
A launch coaster seems a bit of a stretch with the small footprint of the proposed land for the new area, but maybe Mack could do a Big Dipper with a vertical launch like the new coaster at Europa Park. Otherwise I don't see a launch coaster happening any time soon.

Maybe a spinning coaster by Intamin could be a good option. Tornado at Bakken, but (a lot) less intense. Something thrilling for the whole family. Doesn't need a large plot of land, and could potentially be launched as well.

Sandman

Giga Poster
^ Both interesting suggestions actually.

Talking of Mack, I could also picture a Mack Inverted Powered Coaster. Family-friendly with a compact layout. Could also go above and around a lot of infrastructure, I'd imagine; which would be crucial in a park of this size.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
A launch coaster seems a bit of a stretch with the small footprint of the proposed land for the new area, but maybe Mack could do a Big Dipper with a vertical launch like the new coaster at Europa Park. Otherwise I don't see a launch coaster happening any time soon.
On the contrary, I'd say a launch coaster would be a good fit. In particular, a swing launch. Those take up less space than lift hills, after all, and can bring the train up to much higher speeds. Apart from the initial launch spike, the coaster doesn't even have to be tall. Look to Ice Breaker at Sea World Orlando for a masterclass in building a compact coaster on a cramped site. I think Gröna Lund could make it work.

Christian

Hyper Poster
On the contrary, I'd say a launch coaster would be a good fit. In particular, a swing launch. Those take up less space than lift hills, after all, and can bring the train up to much higher speeds. Apart from the initial launch spike, the coaster doesn't even have to be tall. Look to Ice Breaker at Sea World Orlando for a masterclass in building a compact coaster on a cramped site. I think Gröna Lund could make it work.

I also hink it will be a launch, or a vertical lift. Though Gröna Lund are well known for using the space optimally so even a large lift hill will not be a waste of space. Gröna lund will just integrate it into shops or other things.

We need to keep in mind that the entire expansion plot is about 110 m x 80m. They can not link it up with the old park because there is a public road in the middle. Getting permission to build coasters over that will be hard. Gröna Lund have also indicated that they will want the plot to focus on shopping, dining and entertainment. Although, I assume, a coaster can probably run over the restaurants and shops. I suspect they will want a coaster in the extreme category, considering their already sizable thrill and family coaster collection. There could also be two intertwining coasters, Gröna Lund will be able to make it work.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Randomising RCDB and judging the possibility of Gröna Lund getting the model:

Vekoma Mine Train: most likely not but could exist in its own area
SBF Zyklon: Would fit the space but literally why would they do it
Schwarzkopf Jet Star: Jetline exists
Brakeman woodie: Would be insanely cool but would never happen
Vekoma inverted boomerang: A shuttle coaster could definitely work
Beijing Shibolai Mite Mouse: No
Supercar Oval: Nyckelpigan exists
Vekoma SLC: Monster exists
Jinma mine train: No, they'd want a Vekoma

Christian

Hyper Poster
If I would guess something, I would say Vekoma Super Boomerang. The train treverses the track twice, thereby giving more ride with less track. I'm sure Vekema could create a brilliant custom layout to fit into the plot.

Sandman

Giga Poster
If I would guess something, I would say Vekoma Super Boomerang. The train treverses the track twice, thereby giving more ride with less track. I'm sure Vekema could create a brilliant custom layout to fit into the plot.

A new-gen boomerang could certainly add something to the lineup. As you said; if a reasonably interesting custom layout was conceived.