What's new

What roller coaster would you like to ride backwards?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Six Flags has been on a recent bout of reversing roller coasters. Which got me thinking - what roller coasters would be interesting to ride backwards?

Here's some youtube inspiration. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk7bZEMQ9Vc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWkRR9kvdZ8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCaJR3230do[/youtube]

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Gotta give this one to Maverick. That drop taken backwards would be absolutely incredible, as would the launch. And I wouldn't change anything about Voyage, but I'd like to get to ride it backwards once. If it whips you around and surprises you as much as it does forward, I'd love to experience that backwards so you couldn't see what was coming! Full Throttle might also provide a good backwards ride.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'd like to experience a nice, big steep drop backwards. So a dive machine or Eurofighter could be pretty cool (you'd also get hangtime on the steep lift hill!).

I'd also like to try out something with a smooth, but forceful launch, maybe an Intamin accelerator like TTD or Stealth. Going down the top hat would also be crazy (although it'd be somewhat like a rollback too ;)).

I wouldn't want to do Maverick. The ride is already insane enough, I'm afraid making it backwards would ruin it.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Ive actually thought of this and have only really come up with a few specific coasters, and a few types of coasters that would be interesting.

Maverick is the first one that springs to mind. That 1st drop freaked me out going forwards the first time, going about it entirely backwards would be phenomenal until those quick and snappy trasitions kicked in. Then you would be in some serious neck pain til the end of the ride.

Skyrush is really the second one mainly for its fast ascent, quick change into its drop and all that airtime and turns. I honestly think this would be the best one to ride backwards imo.

Legend as well as Boulder Dash tie for specific coasters simply because their layout is more unknown and is constantly turning and not sitting in one specified direction for any decent section of track. I disagree with Jarrett about Voyage because its esentially an Out-and-Back type layout with the turn arounds only really being the only place that would essentially mess with your mind. The reason I say this is because youd be able to watch the return track run and get a proper guesstimate as to where the turns would be. It would still be fun mind you, but would still be able to be somewhat predictable.

Now then, as for the general types of rides. The Hypers/Mega/Gigas immediately spring to mind for this. The long ascent upwards would end up feeling a lot longer than what it really is, and the drop would be made that much more intense because of it.

Another type that would greatly benefit from this would be a majority of launch coasters. As in, ones that dont really do much beyond the launch for the simple reason of them not possibly being the smoothest thing out there. As awesome as a backwards Rock'n'Rollercoaster might be, it would almost certainly be a seriously rough ride.

Thats it that I can think of really.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Jordanovichy said:
Since when has Sheikra had a reverse seat? Wow, that'd be amazing fun <3
Other than mrawS and NamtaB, none of the backwards videos I filmed have had reverse seats. :wink:

Since my favorite backwards rides have all been on out-and-back woodies, I would love to to give Colossos and Boulder Dash a go in reverse.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I'm not a fan of anything that goes backwards, but I think a dive machine would be pretty intense. Just staring at the sky waiting for the moment it drops, it would be almost like a free fall.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Me and Jarrett were talking about this on Skype the other night. Any Dive Machine would be perfect.

KoasterEv

Roller Poster
Intricks said:
Snoo said:
TOP THRILL DRAGSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Add in a randomized launch timer and I honestly think the ride would literally launch into a whole new level of win.

LOL. That would be amazing. I just don't know how they would get past the restraints because people's necks would snap going in reverse on that badboy. I'd assume they would have to upgrade the trains to have something like Superman - Krypton at SFMM....

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Anything and Everything by B&M, Intamin, Mack, RMC, GCI, and Gravity Group that's NOT a kiddie/family coaster.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
<3<3<3 Backwards rides! Man, my top 5 most wanted to ride I've ridden but now 'backwards' would be something along the lines of...

1 Bounder Dash <3 (#1 ride as is...)
2 Dragon Khan - just a big ass B&M looper
3 Lisebergbanan - lots of long swooping turns along the hillside.
4 Ultimate - just think about it....
5 Leviathan - Mmmm

And part of me wants to try a B&M flyer backwards... going up the lift almost upside down? And to think of how the pretzel loop would feel heading into it feet first.... Tatsu, Manta... yes please.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
A boomerang! That would be AMAZING!
(Come on, someone was bound to say it eventually!)

But seriously, I vote for a dive machine. I think Oblivion would be cool.

^A flyer backwards would be... weird. Really weird. But now you've mentioned it, I wanna try it!

Sythe

Mega Poster
CanobieFan said:
<3<3<3 Backwards rides! Man, my top 5 most wanted to ride I've ridden but now 'backwards' would be something along the lines of...

1 Bounder Dash <3 (#1 ride as is...)
2 Dragon Khan - just a big ass B&M looper
3 Lisebergbanan - lots of long swooping turns along the hillside.
4 Ultimate - just think about it....
5 Leviathan - Mmmm

And part of me wants to try a B&M flyer backwards... going up the lift almost upside down? And to think of how the pretzel loop would feel heading into it feet first.... Tatsu, Manta... yes please.
I think a flyer backwards would probably be too extreme, since all the blood would be rushing to your head, but it's just a guess.

coaster addict

Mega Poster
Best Backwards Rides?

We just got done riding the Batman Backwards on Media Day (Friday the 13th) at SFOG when we wondered what other rides should be turned around and which are better backwards.

I'd love your expert insight, coaster fanatics!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q1nrdVvh8c[/youtube]

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Best Backwards Rides?

Hahaha, your face (I'm assuming you're the chap) was grimacing most of the time. Classic.

I've never been a fan on backwards facing seats. I prefer to see where I'm going, however, for the sheer gimmick of it, I'd love to try a classic woodie backwards.