What's new

What makes a favorite coaster for you?

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah my number one isn't something I've seen mentioned (or I've missed it) - re-rideability.

When I put together my top 10, it's literally a fluid list based on what do I want to ride right now. After I'd ridden Silver Star, suddenly I started to crave a ride on Shambhala again. After riding Taron, I was desperate to get back on Helix.

I guess you could break it down a bit deeper and look at why I want to ride them again but honestly it's just an absolute feeling I get at the end of the ride as a package.

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
1 Drop
2 how comfortable the seat&restraint is
3 smoothness on inversions
4 positive g's
5 speed
6 wait time...
7 smoothness
8 good transition

Matt N

CF Legend
For me, a major factor is the amount of airtime the ride has. I know that that may sound like a very small-minded view to some, but I personally love airtime. That is one of the many reasons that Mako is my current number 1 coaster.

Another major factor for me is smoothness/comfort. If a ride has good airtime/a good layout, but is incredibly rough (for example, something like Grand National, in my opinion.), then the pain will unfortunately overrule the airtime and make me rank the ride far lower.

But all in all, I'd say that my favourite coasters are coasters that blend together to make a fantastic overall package. Whether the ride focuses on airtime, inversions, both or neither, I will like it if I come into the brake run feeling like I enjoyed the overall package that the ride had to offer, if you get what I mean.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I don't really care about inversions or sideways forces. I'm with @Matt N on this (you are spot on about the National too by the way). I like airtime. I love the feeling of my stomach in my throat.

A quality that doesn't get mentioned that much on the forum that I rate is suspense.
One thing I love about older woodies, is that they don't have banked turns and element after element. A real pleasure for me is the anticipation of going round a flat turn on a wooden coaster, waiting for the next adrenaline hit from the forthcoming fat drop. The fear builds, the nerves kick in, and you feel scared. You need a respite from modern element overkill for that to take place, and i think it's underated.

I suppose a great ride for me to try out would be something like El Toro. Massive drops, high speed, and balls to the wall woodie greatness.

Snoo

The Legend
Right now, just define the qualities of Lightning Rod and there you have it. Over the years, solid ejector airtime has dominated my top few coasters. Combine that with a unique and unforgiving layout, you have yourselves one of the best rides not only for me but in the world.

Just to quote myself.. Steel Vengeance is this but taken up a notch IMO. Short of the MCBR.. which is barely noticeable as you take it at speed, the ride is unrelenting from start to finish. I will say I didn't have the WTF moment I described after this post until I rode SV at night. The inability to see much makes the ride even more fun.

Heth

Mega Poster
For me there's a few things.

Generally speaking it's (in no order):
1. Airtime
2. Theming
3. Surprises

One BIG factor that affects me a lot is personal significance as well.

In late 2013 I began writing my Masters Degree dissertation on called "What can we learn about architectural narrative from theme parks?". I needed to do a site visit to a park in January 2014 in order to have a workable case study. Efteling was easy to get to an was open this time of year. I first visited in 2013 and though I liked it, it wasn't my favourite park. Visiting for quiet 4 days in January completely changed my opinion though, and I quickly warmed to the park. Once home and writing the dissertation, the announcement and construction of Baron 1898 began. I followed the construction from day 1, and whilst I'd openly admit the track for that ride isn't the best, it is my number 2 coaster partially because it holds a personal significance to my own personal achievements. That and it's themed well and love dive coasters!