What's new

What is your mentality towards riding kiddie coasters?

What is your mentality towards riding kiddie coasters?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. If you do coaster counting, one means that many enthusiasts tend to resort to in order to up their coaster count is riding kiddie coasters. One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that enthusiasts tend to have different mentalities towards riding kiddie coasters and the level of care they have about getting kiddie coaster credits. Some have the mentality of “cred’s a cred”, and will travel very long distances to get the latest big apple or go-gator added to RCDB, while others tend to confine their kiddie coaster riding to when they’re available in larger parks, or even don’t ride kiddie coasters at all in some cases. So my question to you today is; what’s your mentality towards riding kiddie coasters?

Tell you what, I’ll split this into some categories:
  • Category A: I’ll always ride kiddie creds, regardless of distance or surrounding attractions. I want the +1s!
  • Category B: I’ll ride kiddie creds if they’re close to my location or a location I’m visiting, but I wouldn’t travel any long distance for them.
  • Category C: I‘ll ride kiddie creds if they’re in a larger park I’m making a broader visit to, but I would never visit a park with the sole purpose of riding a kiddie cred.
  • Category D: I don’t generally ride kiddie creds at all.
Which category do you fall into?

Personally, I’m going to be controversial and say that I actually fall into Category D; I don’t generally ride kiddie creds at all. I think “never” is a strong word, but these days, I practically always avoid them. I did try taking a Category C mentality for a bit, hence why things like Troublesome Trucks and Octonauts sit in my count, but I was discouraged from this after various embarrassing experiences on kiddie coasters, and I now sit firmly in the camp of “I don’t do kiddie coasters”. In fact, when totting up the potential credit tally from a new park, I exclude kiddie coasters by default these days. For instance, while Europa has 13 credits in total, I’ve always done my cred maths assuming I’ll be getting 12 coaster credits on my April trip (assuming no major reliability issues or crowds or anything, of course), because I just remove B-a-a-a from my mind.

I get why people do kiddie coasters, and I have no objection to people doing kiddie coasters, but I personally find that the embarrassment outweighs the good feeling from the +1 for me, and even excluding that, I’ve personally settled into the mindset that I’d rather do a more significant non-coaster within a park, or a re-ride on a coaster I particularly liked, than do a kiddie cred. And even if I had less issue with doing kiddie creds, I wouldn’t ever see myself edging higher than Category C or B, personally; I’m not sure I ever see myself doing long road trips with the sole intention of riding kiddie coasters. But I don’t judge those who do; each to their own, of course, and you will always have the upper hand over me cred count-wise!

But which category do you fall into when it comes to your mentality towards riding kiddie coasters?

TilenB

Strata Poster
I guess B? Though there are other factors to consider. I would likely never pay a steep entrance fee for a park that only has a small kiddie/family coaster (e.g. I gave Aussie World and their 30+ AU$ entrance fee a miss) and I wouldn't try and argue my way into a kids only park/coaster (if they don't want to take my money, then let them be). It also depends on my mood and who I'm travelling with, as I'm not going to force non-goons to visit a kids-only parks...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Generally B. Wont make a journey specially for one, but if i'm in the area and/or there's a lot of smaller creds in the same area (i.e. UK south coast), I will make the effort.

Entrance price is also a consideration but I can usually find something else in the park to entertain myself with to justify the price.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
A cred's a cred.

though I'm, under this classification, Category B I guess...travelling way out my way or spending lots of money on a Wacky Worm isn't something I really have the time, funds or patience for.

Will

Strata Poster
A cred's a cred.
Just what I was going to say - though particularly in the years when international travel has been a problem, I've done a good few hundred miles for family/kiddy creds. Put it this way - if I ever get around to going back to Edinburgh Zoo, I'll swing by M&Ds :)

llcooljamez

Roller Poster
I will usually ride kiddie coasters if there is a small queue or it has interesting theming but i will not make a journey out of it to ride one

Heth

Mega Poster
Depends upon how 'kiddie' the kiddie coaster is. I would never ride a wacky worm or zieier tivoli, and would ride a jr vekoma if it's big enough (e.g. I wouldn't ride Barnstormer).

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
It's very situational depending on when, where, how much and with whom, but as a general rule:

A if it's on home turf or there's time to kill during a trip

B if plans are already stacked

Of course as time goes on, it leans ever closer to the former.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'm probably somewhere between B and C.

Personally, I've never really gone anywhere to specifically mop up kiddie creds, however, I'm happy to oblige if it's more of a social/laugh thing.

If it's in a park I'm at and I don't have to shamefully ask to ride, then again I'll get it. If it's a busy day and there are better creds then they will get my attention over the +1.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Somewhere between C and D.

I don't usually ride kiddie creds, and certainly have never ridden them on my own. Nor have I ever gone out of my way for a big apple / wacky worm.

However, 2 things, 1) I have been known to ride them with groups of thoosies, to join in with the fun. and 2) I made the decision a few months ago to start taking this cred counting thing seriously, and that includes chasing them worms baby...

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I used to ride them but nowadays it's option D.

It always looks super weird and most aren't any good anyway.

So I thought why bother for a meaningless cred count.

Now I stick to coasters I enjoy.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
mostly D.

I generally won't waste my time with a true kiddie coaster (wacky worms, go gators, dragon wagons, etc.).

But I'm not above taking a spin on a coaster on the kiddie/family bubble that's interesting for one reason or another.

rides like Meteor at Little Amerricka or its sibling Little Dipper at SFGAm.

James F

Hyper Poster
Between C/D

I wouldn't ride any super small kiddie coasters (I properly wouldn't even fit) The smallest I would go on would be things like Preston & Barbieri mini coasters or Vekoma roller skaters.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Eh. If the opportunity strikes, sure. But am I leading any less of a lived experience by not riding kiddie coasters? Nope.

I'm none of the above as I only ride with my 4 year old because I have to, given that my 10 year old has decided he's too big for them. I love coasters but I'm not fussed about the credits.

I definitely feel that "borrowing" children to go on is a bit weird though. You may say that doesn't happen but I've seen more than one YouTuber do this. However if anyone approached me to allow them to ride with my kids I'd happily let you and then run away and go on the big rides whilst you deal with the little twits!

Indy

Hyper Poster
Somewhere between B & C. I generally don't make much of an effort to seek out kiddie coasters. I just don't care that much. However, in certain situations, I will go to an FEC or something that is close to where I am to ride a kiddie coaster. With that said, it's becoming more common now that I have a child who is tall enough to ride coasters and is quite excited about it.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I don't think I fall into any of these TBH,

with Big apples / wacky worms / SBF spinners / Shark trips and Most zamperla's, I'm unlinely to ride, even if they were set up in my back garden, and I could get free rides on.

That said - I do have a soft spot for zierer small tivoli's and Octonauts, so will usually ride them, and may even make a special trip for one.

Gerstlauer junior's (Troublesome trucks, Schlange von midgaard) are always worth riding.

I'd also make an effort to ride any types/ manufacturers which I haven't already ridden.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
No matter what answer I put here, Delpiero will no doubt post that well known picture of me riding the Python Pit in... wherever it was, can't even remember now.
If not that one, it'll be the one of me on the worm at Worlds of Fun.
Or possibly witchfinder will remind me of the time we went to Birmingham and paid to ride the SBF spinner.
Or someone else will remind y'all that I did indeed attend last year's Coastal Cred Run 'O' Shame and rode 3 worms in one day.
Then there was that time I rode the Octonauts with Antoine - boy I tell ya, that was something to see right there as he's about 8'9"! 🤣

But I'm a 'D'.
No really I am. Ok, looking at those examples above you might think I was a complete whore... but I'm not, I'm a 'D'. Those were one off's, man. Rare exceptions. Moments of stupidity with other goons, just for the shiggles. They don't count.
I've lost track of all the worms and ovals and go gators and dragon wagons I've skipped over the years. Not just kiddie creds either, but generally crappy creds, numerous mice, JASSM's and JABBO's etc...
What about that time I went to Energylandia and literally rode half the creds.... by choice? Eh?
Or when I point blank refused to ride Wilderness Run?
I reckon if I'd have ridden all the coasters I've come across on my travels I'd be on over 500 by now. Look at my coaster count if you don't believe me:

See? Not many kiddie creds in that list.
So you see, no matter what Corney says, or Knobchops, or anyone else, and despite photographic evidence to the contrary, I ain't no ho.
I'm a 'D'.

Last edited: