What's new

What is your irrational fear?

Emetophobia. Maybe. It's been suggested I might but idk if it's a fear or just an immense dislike.

Smithy said:
Emetophobia. Maybe. It's been suggested I might but idk if it's a fear or just an immense dislike.

Does it make you feel sick just to think about it? ;)

Kim - They want to eat your flesh, but not in the cannibalistic manner ;) Also, all you have to do it put then into a full nelson and proceed to give them a wet willy and they will cave and run scared :lol: Plus, bear men are generally the nicest people you'll meet within the gay community, as the rest are seemingly superficial twats :D

Furie - I'm fine with everything else, its just ferris wheels induce the flight instinct whenever I see them. I will purposefully avoid walking near them at parks/fairs, as they look unstable as sin and ready to fall apart at any moment. It's not just a fear of riding them, it is a fear of everything about them. If I'm on one, I'm gonna die cause of some stupid brat, if I walk near one, it is going to spite me and fall apart while I'm near it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Smithy said:

This. But for me I'm pretty damn sure it's a fear.

It's a fear of being sick or watching/seeing sick. For those that don't know.

I've had it for as long as I can remember, but can't really put my finger on what has caused me to suffer from it. The last time I was actually physically sick was when I was 4, and I'm 19 now.

I don't really like eating out at all and if I do tend to go for the 'safest' option of anything that doesn't contain meat/fish/diary - diary I'm not too bad with, but still avoid it most of the time just incase.

Travelling I'm fine with surprisngly. If I know someone is travel sick I try to avoid them, but if I can't I am all anxious for however long I'm travelling for. I don't really like boats, but will travel on them if I have to. Though I do prefer to stay still on ferrys.

Recently though I have got better with it. Working in a restaurant has allowed me to learn that things aren't all that bad,same with working with alcohol and sometimes drunks.
A year or so ago I would've got off a bus because someone had been sick. When that happeneda week ago, I didn't move.
My boss is pregnant and her morning sicknesscan spread throughout the day. I don't run a mile from that, but would've done a year ago.

I still don't much like ferries though. And will phone home to find how choppy the channel is like I done back in December...

furie said:
Smithy said:

Does it make you feel sick just to think about it? ;)

:roll: Oh you!

But yeah, it's a strange one. When I used to drink 'heavily' in my teens I threw up in my sleep a few times, and hated it so much that I've not really drank heavily since. It's the gagging motion I can't stand, and if people are being sick in my house and I can hear it (or worse, smell it) I have to leave. I spent so long telling myself that I wouldn't be sick because I could stop myself because I hated it, and I think the years of trying to convince myself that was true almost developed it in my head that it became a fear. I've been sick once in about 7 years and I didn't break down, have a panic attack, anything silly, yet I dread feeling sick because it just leaves me unable to do most things. Which is stupid, because when I feel good, I'm able to think positively, tell myself that it doesn't matter if I feel sick, I'll eat, I'll get out and about regardless. Then the nausea comes again and I'm screwed.

Whenever I have an early morning, have to fly, or have an event coming up the fear of being sick, leads me to feel sick, and thus the horrible self-supporting circle sticks in. I've had tablets that've done nothing, tried some CBT which has done nothing. My main problem is feeling sick, I hate it and it really effects me physically. It's not like Rach's example where she seems to be able to manage it because it's somewhat rational in that it can be linked to physically being sick, mine is the feeling of nausea which I can't cope with.

furie said:
Youngster Joey said:
I have an irrational fear of heights. Strange, as I love Roller Coasters.

Falling from anything above a dozen feet or so is going to seriously damage your health or kil lyou. Again, completely rational to be scared of being high.

Just think of these things as a positive evolutionary trait :)

Spiders to to be honest (though not so much in the UK)

I get on the second rung of a ladder and freeze.

I also have an fear of needles. Which is quite common.

Straws.

I know it sounds odd. When I was younger, I'd cry and REFUSE to drink ANY drink that had a straw in it. I'm not too bad these days, but it still makes me feel ill to have to touch them.

Celine Dion and ending up having a toad chin...

david.jpg

Toad chins are more common with mega fat people, but I'd hate myself if the space between my chin and neck looked like that.

Not really a fear, but something that makes me shudder is changing room floors, especially swimming pools. All the grit and hair and other, whatever, mixed up with dirty water that you're having to tread on with bare feet </3 Urgh that makes me literally shiver just writing it =[.

Also, greasy things on skin. Like, if somebody is eating a burger and the grease gets on their hands or face. So horrible.

Okay, now I've stopped derping out and have understood the meaning of 'irrational' (how did I get a B in A-Level English again?) I'll post again. My biggest irrational fear are mirrors at night. I have no idea why, I've always been wary of being around mirrors at night, I always stare at the floor and will dramatically freak out even if I catch a glimpse of one out the corner of my eye. Most people I've spoken to about it say they think I'm probably just scared of seeing a ghost or a burglar in the reflection, but it's not that. Obviously that would be scary, but that's not why I'm scared of them, I can't explain it.

Another one is those massive funnels that you get on ferries. I'm not even gonna go into to it so I don't have to think about them. It doesn't just have to be on a boat, there's a whole cluster of them near Moorgate, they're kind of big and make loads of noise UGH.

Meeting new people really freaks me out too, and I think it's mainly due to my paranoia going into overdrive, I'm constantly thinking that they hate me, that they think I'm ugly, that I'm boring, that sort of thing. But I get like that even around friends I've known well over 16 years.

Lastly I'm absolutely petrified of massive junctions of train tracks, but that's probably because I used to have nightmares where I'd be right in the middle of hundreds of train tracks trying to find my way out but I couldn't because there were loads of trains speeding past. Huh, guess it kinda sucks that I go through Clapham Junction a lot!

Pretty sure there's more but this is hurting my head :c

IAN OMG, toad chin is SO my fear. The first thing I do when I wake up is check my chin in the mirror, the first thing I do when I see a mirror after I eat is check my chin, and even ask Brad, I would CONSTANTLY ask him if I still had a chin. If you're near me and pay close enough attention, you'll notice when I'm eating I literally continuously poke and prod at my chin to make sure it's still there, as if the food is going to directly clump in that area or something.

Ugh, toad chin </3 Gaining weight, especially in my face and stuff, is also a fear, which I'm sure stems from having once had an eating disorder and stuff.

Ferris wheels, but that's not really that irrational. It's not the height, it's the idea of being suspended by a stupid bucket.

Everything in my room has to be closed. I HATE when a drawer is slightly open, or when a door is almost closed, except it has a little crack meaning it's not exactly latched completely closed.