What's new

What instruments do you play?

Edward M

Strata Poster
What instruments do you play? With such a wide range of instruments, I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting answers.

For me, I can play Piano and Guitar. However, I mainly play the guitar. I try to stick my ancient acoustic guitar (from the 50s) because it's sound is so authentic and powerful, perfect for Dylan songs. However it is fun to get back on the electric for some Stones and Bowie songs.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm pretty mean with a scalpel and forceps, but most people don't consider what I do with them as "play" in the same way I do...

Hutch

Strata Poster
I took 5 years of piano lessons, but stopped this summer as I was going away to school. Though I have been thinking about joining my school's jazz band.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I remember when I made this thread a while ago. :wink: Anyway I'm a bassist. I also used to play recorder when I was five.

BBH

Giga Poster
Some piano, some guitar, and hopefully soon viola.

I also play a mean B&M roar.

Posted while reading your mind.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
Played drums for years when i was younger.

I mix which isn't really an instrument but I guess it involves musical ability.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I started learning the piano aged 4. I got to grade 6, then quit as soon as I hit my stroppy, rebellious teens.

Then I started learning the drums, but my teacher wouldn't teach me double kick so I quit the lessons and taught myself. After that, I got work experience in a music shop, which mainly sold guitars. There was never any actual work to do in the shop, so I spent the 7 years they ended up employing me for, teaching myself guitar. (Or, rather, how to make it sound good through effects pedals)

When I first joined my previous band, they told me I "played the guitar all wrong" and that made me very happy. I didn't want to know all the scales and chords and AC/DC riffs, I wanted to have my own style of playing. I think a lack of knowledge in musical theory can free you up creatively - after all, it's called playing an instrument, not working an instrument.

Darren B

Giga Poster
gavin said:
I'm pretty good on the skin flute.

Really? Ive heard you being compared to a dog eating a plate of hot chips.

As for me, I've been playing the piano since I was 6. I stopped a few years ago and have no intention of playing again. I've sold my piano and haven't really missed it to be honest.

Peter

Hyper Poster
I used to play the Alto Saxophone through my childhood but stopped when I got to about 16 years old.

I was ok at it and played in a few school concerts (both solo and as part of a jazz band) - including terrifying moments where they made us improvise music on the spot in front of an audience, urgh! I got upto grade 6 (of 8) in the exams but didn't want to spend my free time revising music theory so didn't bother taking the exams any further.

It was fun to start off with and I really enjoyed it when I could play a piece well, however I struggled reading music on the spot and often learnt a piece by listening, feel and memory. It started to become a chore rather than enjoyment and I gave up.

Sometime when I still hear a Sax play I wish that I continued to an epic skill level, but really I didn't have the dedication to take it that far.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Piano, guitar, clarinet. Also singing.

Though piano is the instrument I had the most training in, reaching grade 8, I would now say my principle instrument is my voice given how much time I spend singing compared with performing on the others.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Piano/Keyboard, Harmonium, Harmonica, tabla, small amounts of guitar, small amount of drums.. Thats about it.

Right now though, its proving really difficult since I've just had surgery, sooooo humming is good enough for now lol.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Started playing bass, but then switched to guitar and keyboards in a band when I was a teen. Haven't touched either once I went to college and lost interest without a band to play with. Was fun while it lasted though.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Drums, but I am very very rust (and that's being polite to myself!) because I've not had a set in 10 years now.
I have a guitar and piddle around with it on rare occasion but usually I just make cool sounding but simple heavy riffs and various sounds.
At best I can make some post rock/metal music

Robinton

Roller Poster
I had an experience only with guitar during my teenage years, however now I'm an adult and didn't play for a long time :confused: