What's new

What impressed you the most in the past year?

sirloin

Roller Poster
I had a couple of rides that really impressed me. Twisted Timbers impressed me greatly, as I expected it to do. Granted, just about anything would have been an improvement, but Hurler really went from zero to hero.

Lost Gravity was another big winner. I didn't stop laughing from start to finish. I'd read solid reviews beforehand, but even so, they weren't enough to convince me in advance that the ride would be outstanding. I was blown away with how much fun it was and it was arguably the highlight of that park, even if Goliath was the initial reason I wanted to visit. I enjoyed Goliath, but it, and Steel Vengeance a bit later, didn't quite live up to my expectations.

As for Cedar Point, the real surprise of the two new credits I needed there was Valravn. SheiKra and Griffon never did anything for me, so I was expecting Valravn to be only a marginal improvement, but there was something about it that made it feel a bit more complete and a highlight of a trip that also included some of the best Maverick and Magnum (trimless, baby!) laps I've ever had.

GotsFancyPants

Roller Poster
Lightning Rod was my second RMC and blew me away compared to Twisted Timbers. That last element (forgot what its called) gave some exhilarating positive gs before ejecting me out of my seat, making it my favorite element on any coaster.

I’m gonna get some crap for not liking the quad down better.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Lightning Rod was my second RMC and blew me away compared to Twisted Timbers. That last element (forgot what its called) gave some exhilarating positive gs before ejecting me out of my seat, making it my favorite element on any coaster.

I’m gonna get some crap for not liking the quad down better.
I get even more for deeming it "overrated". ;)

GotsFancyPants

Roller Poster
I thought it was too at first, but the more I rode it, the more I liked it, and I’m a sucker for anything 50s, especially with such great theming.

Fi

Mega Poster
Steel Vengence is incredible and easily the most impressive ride of 2018.

But I think I was even more impressed by the Intamins announced at IAAPA, which look stunning. They’ve seen what RMC are doing and really stepped up their game.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I thought it was too at first, but the more I rode it, the more I liked it, and I’m a sucker for anything 50s, especially with such great theming.
I've ridden Lightning Rod 7 times (5 in 2016, 2 in 2017) and even based on my last ride it barely cracks my top 20. Had I based it off of my first, however, it would definitely be in my top 10 - but after 3 consecutive laps that night I was about to pass out, and the very next morning I noticed some black-and-blue bruises on my thighs. Wonder what those could've been from, maybe Thunderhead? ;):p

Pear

Strata Poster
I rode it 4 times and didn't feel like passing out once. I'm confused how someone could even come close to passing out on it as there's barely any positive g's. The ride wasn't even that painful on my thighs and I had no bruising at all.

Hutch

Strata Poster
For the RMC restraints, they feel restrictive at first, but once the train leaves the station and goes through the ride I more or less forget they're there. They certainly didn't bother me when I whored Lightning Rod for a couple hours in the evening, let alone cause any pain or bruising on my thighs. When you have airtime as strong as Lightning Rod with lap bars that aren't noticeable during the ride, that's when you know you have a good restraint system.