What's new

What are your thoughts on going backwards on coasters?

What are your thoughts on going backwards on coasters?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. With the swing launch seemingly being the flavour of the month in launch coaster world at present, as well as shuttle and semi-shuttle coasters increasing in popularity, the number of coasters that go backwards for at least a portion of their layout is ever increasing. So my question to you today is; what are your thoughts on going backwards on roller coasters? Do you love it? Or do you think it’s an uninteresting gimmick?

For me, I honestly think it depends on the ride and the way in which backwards travel is used.

In rides where backwards travel is used to traverse over an exclusively backwards section of track, like Thirteen at Alton Towers, I think it can be quite fun. I do quite like Thirteen’s backwards section; it’s a real laugh!

However, I’m not huge on shuttle coasters. I’ve done 3 now, and while I wouldn’t say that any of them are terrible rides per se, none of them are exactly my favourite either. I often find that the backwards stretch isn’t as fun as the forwards stretch, and even on milder shuttle coasters (e.g. family boomerangs), the backwards g’s are often a bit uncomfortable and make my head hurt a bit. I don’t find Revolution’s backwards section especially pleasant, in terms of a thrill shuttle coaster.

But what are your thoughts?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't love it. It triggers something in my head leaving me feeling a bit dizzy. It tends to not last too long, but it's not a very pleasant feeling I'll admit.

I get it on everything from proper Boomerangs to Family Boomerangs to even the tamer (and great) stuff like Firechaser or Thirteen. I can tolerate it on the tamer stuff, but couple it with the intensity of a Boomerang and yeah... that's why I hate them so very much. :p

So yeah, put me in the "I don't like it" camp.

I can't imagine how awful the namtaB coasters must have been... :D

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Strong dislike whenever it involves any 'turning'. Straight line back-and-forth is OK but sub-optimal compared to the infinitely more fun 'just go forwards with turns'.

I particularly dislike junior boomerangs - they feel like 1/2 of a full ride as (to me) the backwards section is redundant.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I don't know why, but going backwards through a vertical loop makes my feet tingle like no other element. It's not something that's worn off over time either - it still gets me every time.
This is a good thing by the way - I like feet tingles! 😁
So yeah, I dig going backwards.

You know what would be really trippy? Backwards Oblivion!! Imagine that.

They could call it... Noivilbo.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
It’s a big fat no for me! I can’t stand going backward; all the fun and enjoyment is literally sucked out of the ride and it leaves me feeling dizzy and nauseous.

I just also note, I’m also unable to tolerate facing backwards on a train / other moving vehicles.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I don't like going backwards.

I can tolerate it for short, tame sections like Expedition Everest or family boomerangs.

But full length coasters, and especially backwards inversions, have so far had a 100% success rate in making me feel sick every time.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's in the "don't like it camp", if only because it usually means I'm riding a Vekoma Boomerang or Invertigo, neither of which is a good outcome. 😅

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Definitely depends on the ride/the context it’s used in.

It can easily make a good ride a lot better.

It can just as easily make a bad ride worse.

I think there just aren't enough of the former yet. Personally I love it.

Last edited:

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Yeesss, love me some backwards rides! When the Paramount parks had their racing coasters with backwards trains I almost exclusively rode the back sides and having done backwards Batman at 2 SF parks, again, I was allllll for it! Also, my one and only ride on Swarm was in the 'front' backwards car <3

Stevie

Roller Poster
Yeesss, love me some backwards rides! When the Paramount parks had their racing coasters with backwards trains I almost exclusively rode the back sides and having done backwards Batman at 2 SF parks, again, I was allllll for it! Also, my one and only ride on Swarm was in the 'front' backwards car <3
This is exactly how I feel! As a kid, there were days at Kings Island that I could get in the front car/back row of the backwards Racer and ride that all day. The first drop was incredible.

Heth

Mega Poster
I don't mind short bursts of it. I can easily tolerate rides like Expedition Everest, Revenge of the Mummy and Th13teen.

However, larger sections make me feel rough. EuroMir at Europa Park I did not enjoy, and even Vekoma Junior boomerangs start to make me feel a bit dodgy, but I'd still ride them once per trip.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Depends on the ride - I actually don't mind Boomerangs, and the backwards launch bit on swing launches is good, but I don't like the backwards bit on family boomerangs, and the idea of doing swarm or a batman backwards fills me with dread!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Backwards launch up a spike? Love it.

Shuttle loop/boomerang? Fine. Like it just as much as the forward bit, which is still not much in most cases.

Retrofitted? If it's not Hollywood Dream (where the backwards train is MUCH better), no thank you.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
I generally think it's fine. It's not ever bothered me, but in most cases I'm also not that excited about it either. On story based attractions it can genuinely enhance the experience. While things like the backwards racer at Paramount parks were definitely gimmicky, I did get excited about it as a kid. Was it actually a better ride experience than going forward? Probably not. If I had the chance to do it again, or to ride a batman clone backwards would I do it? Sure I would.

One ride on which going backwards DID significantly enhance the experience was Wicked Twister. Sure, in order for the ride to work you needed to go backwards and forwards but the strongest backwards launch was the most thrilling part of the ride. Twisting backwards all the way up the spike in the last row, then feeling weightless while facing straight down... it was a thing of beauty.

zen

Roller Poster
... See above posts?

In summary, it's subjective.
Yeah but I'm wondering what differences are there that aren't opinions such as how does it feel to be pulled over a drop backwards and is it more thrilling to not be able to see where your going.

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah but I'm wondering what differences are there that aren't opinions such as how does it feel to be pulled over a drop backwards and is it more thrilling to not be able to see where your going.
Personally, I’m not necessarily sure that it is more thrilling per se, in my opinion at least.

Yes, the sense of sight forward is removed, but I find that backwards sections are often slower, especially on, say, shuttle coasters, which makes them a bit less exciting for me, personally.