What's new

What are you reading?

Crowther's Fantasy - the lost children of Asora

By John Lovell - the fact hes my boss makes me laugh :lol:

An Evil Cradling by Brian Keenan, the first book for my A-level English course that I've actually enjoyed reading.

Finished Nation by Terry Pratchett a while ago.

Pratchett's still on form! Funny, witty and clever. Good fun, and lovely to read.

8.5/10

Just started Making History by Stephen Fry.

Spazzed out a little when I saw I could buy all of his books for under £20, so I did.

Started off with the Sci-fi (as one should ;) ) and so far it's been frankly amazing.

On the same level as Pratchett for wit and intelligence (if not more, considering the subject matter). He's a fantastic writer, able to change the tone at the drop of a hat.

It's a book that makes you feel nice for being intelligent. Reading all the physics in-jokes and actually understanding them is brilliant! And a little of it's written in script form, including a monologue using Saint Saëns' Organ symphony, which I'm listening to right now. Fry clearly has taste in music.

It's also about Hitler! And time travel! So, y'know, what more could you want?

So far, i'd say another 8.5/10

Thoroughly enjoying.

Just finished The Catcher in the Rye, by J D Salinger

I read this book for one reason only, just so that I could read the origin of the quote "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." that is used in one of my favorite Anime Series (Ghost In the Shell SAC: Laughing Man). I didn't know what to expect when I started the book, especially since it originates from the 1950's, but man I was in for a little chock really. The story is pretty straightforward, but the way that it's written really made it somewhat hard to read. The story could have been much shorter, like one of those short novels, if he haven't written it in such way that he did. The language of the book is pretty bad and it contains: (according to wikipedia) 237 appearances of the word "goddam", along with 58 "bastard"s, 31 "Chrissakes," and 6 "****s".

It's about a guy, Holden Caulfield, that just have gotten kicked out from his 4:th school and about what he thinks of life really.

A pretty interesting read and I would give it a 6/10.

Next up is the Manga behind the Ghost In the Shell movies, by Shirow Masamune.

Finished my box-set of most of the Doctor Who books.
Now to read the novel of Star Wars: Force Unleashed. :)

The Doctor Who books are fantastic. The authors really go to work to create stories with great depth.
They are aimed at the adult audience as some of them contain really vicious parts where it goes into really high detail about people getting ripped limb from limb. And they could all work really well as episodes for the TV series.
Worth reading if you get the chance. :)

The last Harry Potter. I had it ages ago, started it, and couldn't be bothered to read it. Now, after re-watching some of the films, I've been inspired to read it, and it's brilliant.

Have you read any of his other books?

The main problem I had was it was so much worse than his other work.

Ben said:
Have you read any of his other books?

The main problem I had was it was so much worse than his other work.

Of course! I love Stephen King. Well, after reading Duma Key (which was shockingly bad) this seems better.

Maybe if I'd have read it before it might have been different. Well, I'm only half way through at the moment.

Maximum Ride: The Last Warning or something like that.

Got through 4 chapters, being that they're about 3 pages

^Hah, it's a pretty bad book. Normally I'm alright with enviromental preaching, but this is WAY over the top :p

Almost nothing happens throughout, seriously.

I finished The Eye of the Moon by Anonymous the other day. It's as mad as the first, and I love it for being so absolutely bonkers throughout. With some form of plot twist at the end of almost every chapter, it was bloody hard to put down.

Cheered me up no end. It's such a teenage boy's book: (nearly)all the men are gruff and hyper-masculine, all the women are busty and sexy; gore, guts, vampires, werewolves... it just keeps on coming. Leave your brain behind!

8.5/10 beacuse I'm easily amused.

Uncle Arly said:
t. Well, I'm only half way through at the moment.

Ahhhh, you're still in the "I like the way this is going, there's a great chance this is going to be great" zone. It doesn't last, and rushes headlong towards a typical piss-poor King ending...

danielfitzgerald99 said:
I have just finished "Interview with a vampire" by Anne Rice. It is fantastic. Beautifully written.

It's not beautifully written, it's blandly written ina style which is designed to attract those with a false sense of gothic romance.

The book isn't bad, but it's nothing special. I enjoyed "The Vampire Lestat" much more, but only because it was set in Renaisance Venice, which is a period and place I'm quite interested in. Still not well written :p

I just like the way it is written. They way she describes what he feels and his senses.

I have to read the other 2 but I can't bloody find them so I will read the Twilight books 1st then return to Anne Rice.