What's new

Weird things to happen to you at a theme park

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
What are some of the weirdest things to happen to you at a theme park?

FOR ME:

*There was this time at SFOG during the 2006 season when Goliath opened that it was mysteriously closed for most of the day. However, at the end of the day, there was practically no queue, and we only waited about 30 minutes for the new B&M. In the station, after we were strapped in and ready to go, my dad asked why it was closed and they said calmly, "Oh, some guy had a heart attack and died on it." And then they dispatched the train and my dad started flipping out. We were all fine, though.

*For my birthday, we (we being me, my sister and my dad who were both GP) took my friend (who only had 2 credits, The Beast at Kings Island and Barnstormer at Disney) to Cedar Point. We all rode Raptor, and he loved it. We then went to Maverick, but the curse of the Intamin struck again and it was down, so we went to Millennium. My sister had gone to ride Windseeker but that's another story, but she got lost and Andrew and I rode alone. He loved that one, so we went to Maverick and got to ride it in the rain (that's right, they dispatched us just as it started sprinkling) and it was amazing! And then we ate. And that was the biggest mistake of the day. When we went back to ride Millennium, we waited for a good 45 minutes after lunch, but as soon as we got off, my friend puked all over the maintainence path below the exit ramp! We then rode Wicked Twister (which was a horrible idea because Andrew had specifically said that the resason he didn't have many credits is because his family likes spinning rides and they made him sick) and that ended with him blowing chunks as soon as we got off the ride. And then, despite the fact that he said he was fine, we ended the day with him hanging over the side of a Gemini train cropdusting on the catwalks!

I have a few more that I might add to this post.

Weird things?

Erm.. I've found twenty quid at Alton Towers on two separate occasions before.
Seen someone faint in the Spinball Whizzer station and in the Le Monstre station at La Ronde.
We saw a large group of about 10 people trying to get into one Winnie The Pooh car that holds about 4 at Magic Kingdom once, and then later on in the ride heard over the PA "Please remain in your vehicle at all times".
Can't think of any others right now.

I went on Tomb blaster once and it broke down at the snake scene. Lights up, everything...we then walked the rest of the ride.

Funny thing was, that happened again exactly the same, the next time I rode tomb blaster.

OH! Also, when I did work expericance at Chessington, I did a walk around the Bubbleworks. I looked into the "bath" that the charecters share in the fountain finale and...well... it haunts me to this day what I saw

Oh, I almost forgot. When I was with my friend Andrew at Cedar Point, we were passing the time in the switchbacks for Millenium Force by watching the expressions on the riders' faces as the train pulled into the final brake run. Most of them were pretty funny, but one took the cake! When one train shot through that last overbank and into the brakes, it slowed to a stop, and towards the front of the train, there was this seventy-something old granny with her gray hair going all over the place who looked REALLY mad. XD

I'm sure Snoo has some shenanigan stories of our visits to CP.

We can combine to brag that between he and I, we both experienced the very first types of break downs on Maverick. He had the very first rider rollback in the launch tunnel, I had the very first rider rollback on the lift hill.

Well, a few years back at Chessington, I was in the queue for Griffin's Galleon, which I don't exactly ride very often, and by pure coincidence, the twins who sat next to me in my class at the time where right behind me in the queue. This is even more weird to think that the school I went to was in a very rural area of Kent and had just sixty pupils.

Aside from this and one other slightly less remarkable instance of seeing somebody I knew, I can't really think of anything else.

Haha, I like this topic!

I've had a few, one which really freaked me out, but was funny at the same time. Me and my friend were at PortAventura and it was a late night (got to the park about 9PM), the weather was really stormy, but we was hoping to get a stormy, wet night ride on the front of Furius Baco. So we was queuing for Furius Baco, and over-time the storm would get worse and worse, until they stopped the ride from running. But every now and then they let a few trains go for a ride. The lightning storm was constant, we managed to see the spike of Hurakan Condor get zapped! After waiting about an hour and half, people started leaving the queue so we left with them, but in hope to find Dragon Khan running. On our way to Khan there was no-one in the park, but by the time we passed Tami-Tami all the lights started to turn off, so it was dark, stormy, and we were alone in the polynesian tropical woods (brilliant setting for this!). So we headed back towards the front of the park and out of nowhere this huge figure ran from the left of us and it was Betty Boop! Followed by Woody Woodpecker, we jumped a mile like some scene out of a horror movie, really **** freaked us out! We got to the front of the park and there were only a few people left exiting, and left for the hotel. Brilliant night, true theme park experience, didn't need any rides at all!

Other moments included riding a Boomerang and SLC by myself (thanks to Siam Park City and lack of anyone in the park)

P1020291-Copy.jpg

P1020286-Copy.jpg

Good fun!

I remember being in Alton towers, and it got very cloudy... I looked up and could actually see the hail in the sky coming towards me. It was a bizarre experience.

I was at WDW During a Hurricane. The day before it hit the parks were so empty I walked right on Continuously 16 times. That was the best hour of the trip. I didn't wait once.

That same trip I saw one of my best friends who had moved away a few years earlier. There was no prior planning but there he was. That was a good trip.

Many years ago Alton Towers had a showboat-themed fun house and, as I was queuing to get in, the man in front suddenly turned round and started hitting me with his jumper, shouting "Don't even think about it!" - then turning back round and carrying on. The next five minutes stuck in small spaces with this nutter were a bit uncomfortable.

Oh I just remembered the first time I rode Furious Baco a mosquito managed to get it's needle stuck about half a centimeter above my eye. It swelled up quite a lot but that was all, it could have easily been a lot worse.

buschgardens-fabio-roller-coaster-1999apr.jpg

Obligatory shot of Fabio

A few years ago I was watching oblivion in a thunder storm, there was a flash and a loud bang, and half the park shut down, they then covered all of the oblivion cars (with people on) with blue waterproof blanket things before they restarted it LOL

While I was stood in the queue for Colossus at TP last year one of the riders phones dropped out of their pockets on the first corkscrew and bounced off my friends head and onto my shoulder before hitting the floor. The phone still worked due to us breaking it's fall and I managed to get it back to the owner when she got off the ride.

Not sure if anyone will think this one is 'wierd' but when I went to Cedar Point in 2010, I met 3 different groups of people who were either from Yorkshire (my home county) or had lived there. One guy I got talking to in the MF queueline was from Hull and had taken his kid there for a yearly trip. A couple who I met near Maverick were visiting friends in Detroit but they lived in Barnsley. The third one was an American woman I met in the hotel giftshop who had actually moved back to the states after marrying an English guy and living in Doncaster. There was me thinking the amount of Yorkshire folk who fly half way around the world to go to theme parks would be pretty limited but that didn't seem to be the case, it's a small world!

To be fair, halfway around the world still isn't quite far enough away from Yorkshire ;)

Last year I sat next to someone on Apocalypse at DMP, who it turns out was someone I knew from Facebook. We've been very good friends since :)

I visited Terra Mitica on my own and rode Magnus Colossos (sp?) with just 2 other people on the train and then spent the rest of the day with them. At one point when we got split up due to number of seats on a ride, I walked off as I wasn't sure they wanted to hang around with me all day but they came and found me which was really nice of them and turns out they lived quite near to where I lived too :)

Another weird thing, also in Terra Mitica. There was an eldery woman who tripped over raised brickwork around a tree and I seemed to be the only person who cared. I was flapping about trying to get this woman help and no one did anything to help, I just find that a bit weird.

FaceYourNemesis said:
Last year I sat next to someone on Apocalypse at DMP, who it turns out was someone I knew from Facebook. We've been very good friends since :)

How on Earth did you discover this? :lol:

TP Rich said:
FaceYourNemesis said:

How on Earth did you discover this? :lol:

It was only us two going round for more rides on Poccy, so we hung out after a while. It was after chatting for a bit that we realised we knew each other from Facebook.

What are the chances? :)