What's new

WDW Magic Kingdom | Tron Lightcycle Power Run | Vekoma Motorbike Coaster | 2023

Matt N

CF Legend
Didn't Disney terminate construction on Tron for ages, as well as Guardians, in order to recoup lost money from the lockdowns? I could be wrong there, but I seem to remember construction grinding to a halt for a long time in order to save money, hence why both rides are now opening in 2022.

Changa

Mega Poster
Didn't Disney terminate construction on Tron for ages, as well as Guardians, in order to recoup lost money from the lockdowns? I could be wrong there, but I seem to remember construction grinding to a halt for a long time in order to save money, hence why both rides are now opening in 2022.
It could be, but how much would construction of 2 rides cost? Based on the construction progress, most of the planning and manufacturing was done before the pandemic. Was the ongoing cost of employing the construction team detrimental enough to the company's finances to justify them stopping & restarting?

Niles

Giga Poster
Little update but finally the canopy that will light up has started to installed.
tron-lightcycle-run-construction-5-1-1200x800.jpg

tron-lightcycle-run-construction-12-1200x800.jpg

tron-lightcycle-run-construction-18-1200x800.jpg

tron-lightcycle-run-construction-19-1200x800.jpg

The path that Leeds you under the coaster is also coming along well.
tron-lightcycle-run-construction-20-1200x800.jpg

While still taking ages once the panels are all up this will look much more complete, when they get it all working and seeing it at night, it will be amazing.

Source : https://wdwnt.com/

Last edited:

cocoa

Mega Poster
i finally got around to watching the OG tron the other day and it was so much better than I was anticipating. I have zero idea what happened but I loved it. perhaps I could have been more sober, but i'm now sold on this franchise lol

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
The overwhelming lack of excitement on this thread is hilarious to me. When will Disney be creative again? Everything about this addition just feels so... Bad?
I don't think the lack of excitement has to do with the coaster itself, it has to do with the extremely obnoxious amount of time this is taking to build. Iron Gwazi, Ice Breaker, and Velocicoaster have been rumored, announced, built, and opened in the timeframe between announcement to now. Guardians is going to open before this as well. At some point the hype machine will run out.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
2022? Is that a certainty, because I've seen multiple suggestions (admittedly on guesstube youtube) that it will be 2023. Does look to be a way off too.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I don't think the lack of excitement has to do with the coaster itself, it has to do with the extremely obnoxious amount of time this is taking to build. Iron Gwazi, Ice Breaker, and Velocicoaster have been rumored, announced, built, and opened in the timeframe between announcement to now. Guardians is going to open before this as well. At some point the hype machine will run out.
I just think the whole thing feels off.

It looks so plonked. It doesn't look right next to Tomorrowland and doesn't suit the rest of the land stylistically. Would have been a much better fit in Future World at Epcot but I understand they don't want to cram all the new attractions into one park. And the fact that it's just another Disney clone... I'm just a bit tired of it.

And then you look at Paris and all of the new attractions are clones, except for one and it's a retheme of a ride that already exists. Plus the Avengers Campus is bland and have been designed to be able to be cheaply rethemed in 8 to 10 years. I know the company was hit very hard by Covid but even before that, it just feels as though they're creatively bankrupt and I (personally) think that shoehorning Tron into MK just proves it. Perhaps if it was in Epcot or Hollywood Studios I'd be more forgiving.

I just think the whole thing feels off.

It looks so plonked. It doesn't look right next to Tomorrowland and doesn't suit the rest of the land stylistically. Would have been a much better fit in Future World at Epcot but I understand they don't want to cram all the new attractions into one park. And the fact that it's just another Disney clone... I'm just a bit tired of it.

And then you look at Paris and all of the new attractions are clones, except for one and it's a retheme of a ride that already exists. Plus the Avengers Campus is bland and have been designed to be able to be cheaply rethemed in 8 to 10 years. I know the company was hit very hard by Covid but even before that, it just feels as though they're creatively bankrupt and I (personally) think that shoehorning Tron into MK just proves it. Perhaps if it was in Epcot or Hollywood Studios I'd be more forgiving.
It fits fine with Tomorrowland doesn't it? In what way does it miss the mark stylistically? Tomorrowland and Future World are the same theme really surely?

I also don't the prolem with Disney putting in clones, the vast majority of park atendees will only ever be going to one of these parks so it makes perfect sense. Same with Legoland.

Changa

Mega Poster
It fits fine with Tomorrowland doesn't it? In what way does it miss the mark stylistically? Tomorrowland and Future World are the same theme really surely?

I also don't the prolem with Disney putting in clones, the vast majority of park atendees will only ever be going to one of these parks so it makes perfect sense. Same with Legoland.
They're both future themes but Tomorrowland is meant to be a coherent look styled to a 50's b-movie spaceport whereas tron was orignally styled to look like modern architecture with digital elements. Futureworld would be a slightly better fit as each pavilion can have a self-contained style. It used to have a coherent aesthetic but nowadays anything goes between them. Not a big difference but a bit of a missed opportunity, particularly with how much they pride themselves on (and charge for) immersion.

I completely get the business case for cloning rides but it's definitely a shame to see. Rides like ratatouille still cost tens (if not hundreds) of millions but is built on old technology & theming. New rides come with new technology, and the rate that Disney can develop their tech with the right incentive is exciting, thrill level or not. The original Ratatouille and Rise of the Resistance opened just over 5 years apart, which shows the rate of progress they CAN make (with the same ride system!).

They're both future themes but Tomorrowland is meant to be a coherent look styled to a 50's b-movie spaceport whereas tron was orignally styled to look like modern architecture with digital elements. Futureworld would be a slightly better fit as each pavilion can have a self-contained style. It used to have a coherent aesthetic but nowadays anything goes between them. Not a big difference but a bit of a missed opportunity, particularly with how much they pride themselves on (and charge for) immersion.

I completely get the business case for cloning rides but it's definitely a shame to see. Rides like ratatouille still cost tens (if not hundreds) of millions but is built on old technology & theming. New rides come with new technology, and the rate that Disney can develop their tech with the right incentive is exciting, thrill level or not. The original Ratatouille and Rise of the Resistance opened just over 5 years apart, which shows the rate of progress they CAN make (with the same ride system!).
I'm not having that at all! They are both furture themed areas and Tron fits in perfectly fine with Tomorrowland and actually brings a much needed update to the original styling.

Why is it a shame for them to clone rides? I will likely never go to Tokyo so to see something from there in Paris or WDW would be great for me. As I say the vast marjority of visitors will only ever visit one Disney "area" or Legoland so why they wouldn't they use clones. Visitors want to see the big attractions and having them in multiple places is better for the public. Yes if you visit more than one park you are at a disadvatage but people who do so are the exception rather than the rule.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I agree with @Changa that there’s a nuanced difference in theme, but I don’t think it’s obnoxiously different - adding almost any modern ride system would have the effect of feeling ‘actually futuristic’. With that in mind, the aesthetic of Tron fits in with Tomorrowland as much as it reasonably could for any modern ride. It could be said that it helps balance the area out to feel less dated, whilst retaining elements of the original theme.

I do agree that Disney would be better off leaving alone it’s more popular IPs, or go back to investing in its more obscure ones. I think Tron fits into the latter ‘obscure IP’ category quite nicely.

Other examples of “welcome obscure IPs”, ignoring all controversies and strictly for illustration purposes only, would be Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain (the latter is obviously being re-themed for appropriate reasons - the Princess and the Frog overlay is also fairly obscure). It’s just not ‘obvious Disney stuff’ and it pays off.

Examples of IP-less themes that Disney should build more of:

Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Matterhorn
Spaceship Earth
Mission to Mars (or whatever it’s called)
Test Track
Carousel of Progress
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Pirates of the Caribbean
Expedition Everest
Country Bears (this sort of show pains me but you get what I mean)
Countdown to Extinction (re-themed to Dinosaur, which I think nobody cares about / has seen)

A more obvious example of ‘doing it wrong’ is plastering Disney characters over Epcot fireworks, rather than maintaining a vanilla ‘worldwide’ theme. Not sure about the re-theme of Maelstrom (I thought the original ride was pretty pants as a dumb, sugar-craving kid).

There’s a balance to be struck, for sure.