What's new

Water coasters

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
So with all the discussion about Fuga da Atlantide in the Euro Live topic I was wondering exactly what prevents it from being a water coaster? Is it that much different than the Journey to Atlantis coasters or Poseidon at Europa Park? I really don't get it? What makes some of these types of rides water coasters & other not?

I currently don't have it counted, purely because it wasn't on RCDB or CoasterCounter when I was adding the Gardaland credits to my count.

However, on reflection I don't really see why I shouldn't count it. By all logic, and like you said, it's just like Journey To Atlantis, so I don't see why it shouldn't count.

The only thing about it is that it doesn't use it's momentum to carry itself back up a hill, unlike Journey To Atlantis. That could explain why its not on RCDB.

I read this on Roller Coaster Philiosophy ( http://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/ ... -yarmouth/ )

It meets pretty much my exact idea on this. Though this relates to the "Snails" at Great Yarmouth, I think it still fits:
Rollercoaster Philosophy said:
What counts as a coaster is generally a pretty tricky subject among enthusiasts and has inspired a lot of debates. Most attempts to define properties that are necessary and/or sufficient for a device to be a ‘roller coaster’ seem to be at the inclusion or exclusion of rides that common sense would dictate don’t belong. I’ve since then come up with a method that favors simple intuition over increasingly complex checklists, but also requires a greater degree of consistency across judges that simple intuition can’t provide. I’ll call it something like the “categorical method” of coaster evaluation. Basically how it works is you define several categories of rides, and then treat each attraction as a credit in one and only one of those categories. I think the major categories would be something like this: Roller Coaster, Dark Ride, Water Ride, Car Ride, Flat Ride, Tower Ride, and maybe a few others. Pretending that I am as passionate about collecting credits in each of these categories as I am roller coasters, if I could only credit the Snail to one category which would it be? Intuition would tell me it’s a ‘Car Ride’ before a ‘Roller Coaster’. So even if shares qualities with a roller coaster or dark ride, categorically it remains a car ride first and foremost. What about Tyrolean Tubtwist? Nothing that intense deserves to be called a ‘Car Ride’ just because it’s electrically powered at times, and none of the other categories fit so ‘Roller Coaster’ is what I file it under as being of primary essence. Simple, right?

(Actually it’s not so simple. While it works well for coasters (I was able to use it to easily argue that all powered coasters do count towards my list while flumes or dark rides with dropping sections don’t), I found that if I were to treat all categories equally I had more tricky scenarios where my intuition was that a ride is simultaneously dark ride and water ride. This method also is clearly begging the questions “what categories are to be used?” and “how do you define the properties belonging to each category?” But for the moment it’s still the best and easiest method of credit-counting I’ve got when it comes to ‘miscellaneous’ rides.)

So it's still that "what overwhelming feature does the ride have" thing, what is its focus?

I've not been on the ride, but is it a water/transport ride with coaster elements, or is it a coaster with a water element?

I get willy lift on the drops on Pirates of the Caribbean at DLP, but does that make it a coaster?

I generally base it on whether it feels like a rollercoaster, or a type of coaster.

Hydro - One big drop, doesnt really look like a rollercoaster.

Fuga - Two drops, rollercoaster elements in it, intamin tri-track = water coaster.

What doesn't help matters is that Supersplashes are accepted on RCDB...

Fuga does provide an interesting arguement though... Thing is the only bits of track are the lifts and drops... Of course, same can be said for Florida's Journey to Atlantis...

Poseidon is most certainly a coaster as the majority of the circuit is coastery (i.e. swooping drops)...

It's trick for Fuga... But as RCDB says no, so do I...

Hmmm...I tend to just go by the logic that if it's on RCDB then it counts, if not it doesnt, even if I feel it should or shouldn't count. Just to save argument.

Bringing up the Snails again here, I think that they are no less of a coaster than Tyrolean Tubtwist, yet they aren't on RCDB, and Tubtwist is, so I count them accordingly.

Things like this are always going to be tricky to decide, so I guess it's just go with however you class it, some people will, some people wont. It's just down to personal systems and opinions.

At 1st I thought Fuga da Atlantide should be a water coaster, but looking again it only uses track to climb and drop not complete the circuit so just like Hyrda it cannot be counted. This is as much a coaster as Depth Charge at Thorpe, yes not a coaster.

Mack call theirs a water coaster as parks of the ride do what a coaster does so that is why. If the one at Europa did not turn round and drop then turn round again on tracks it would not be a coaster.

I'd personally class Fuga as a water ride. Not a coaster. Although it has coaster track, a cable lift, coaster drops, that's it, there isn't enough for us to base it as a coaster on..

Yeah Fuga isn't a coaster. Its no more than a coaster than Hydro. It has track that goes round and down into the water. But it isn't a coaster.
If if had drops and also went up and over a hill then it could probably be classes as one though.

The lack of continuous track isn't an issue, or you wouldn't count a SuperSplash (not the Plopsaland one anyway - for multiple reasons). As far as I can see, the only difference between that and Fuga d'wotsit is the bunny hop type bump (or lack thereof).

Its all a bit daft if you ask me.

Oh, and, just because I can never discuss creds without bringing this up... the mine train thing at Blackpool is SUCH A CRED!