What's new

Walt Disney Studios Park | Avengers Assemble: Flight Force | R'n'RC retheme | 2022

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
And maybe the fact that the park is tacky as :emoji_poop:, that Disney is ugly by nature and people in france don't have that much the theme park/immersion in big franchises culture.
I'm wondering, does the park fail to attract locals as much as foreign tourists ?

As far as I know from friends in France, French people dislike Disneyland and the majority tries to avoid the park at all cost. You'll see them all flocking to parks like Parc d'Asterix.

balrog

Mega Poster
You do chat some absolute :emoji_poop: Balrog.
Why, because I ask a question ? I don't know any local that feels as enthousiastic about Disney and Disneyland as many british or north americans seem to be. And the more baroque aesthetics that characterise classic Disney properties doesn't really fit french culture that well. I'm trying to connect dots. It might be a long shot, but at least I'm not being as idiotic as your answers to my posts constantly prove to be.

Ben

CF Legend
No what you said was Disney is tacky, Disney is ugly and the French people don’t understand what a theme park is.

You’re now saying that French people don’t appreciate Baroque but Americans do, despite it being a European architecture style?!

So you’ve totally changed your post and ideas in the space of two posts, displaying how you do in fact, chat complete ****.

balrog

Mega Poster
Ben, I still cannot decide whether I find you more entertaining or annoying. I appreciate your relentless search for meaning that isn't there. But simultaniously, I get irritated by your constant drive to criticise everything.
You seem to have a hard time to accept other's diverging opinions, which seems to be incompatible with a peacefull enjoyment of internet forums, as those are ment for people to exchange and debate opinions. I'm wondering if you don't find some kind of self-gratification in the critisizing of others.

Anyway, if I did express my opinion that DLP is ugly, I never said French people don't understand theme park, just that imerging ourselves in big franchises is not really part of our culture.

Moreover, I used baroque as an adjective, I was not specificaly talking about the artistic style. Anyway, your discussion about Baroque and France both being european on opposition to America is ridiculous. First because Baroque comes from Italy and primarily influenced neighbouring central european countries, not France, secondly because european influence is highly important in america and the US have a higher population originating from the previously mentioned countries than France anyway. Third, Disney is american, everything Disney is extremely ingrained in american culture, including the aesthetic choices. Fourth, with time, the use and consumption of a given style tend to drift geographically, often switching continents entirely, as an example, European Baroque now has a much higher influence on east Asian cultural production than on its European counterpart.

Last edited:

Ben

CF Legend
I am not ‘searching for meaning that isn’t there’ I’m literally reading your posts. I even repeated it back to you in my last post. Because you have changed your tune doesn’t mean I’m ‘searching for meaning that isn’t there’. I’m sick of people on these forums being like oh you misinterpreted me - no what you say is in black and white if you say something other than what you mean that isn’t my problem.

Using baroque as an adjective is the artistic style, but thanks for the art history lesson.

Sad your entire argument falls over when you remember there are three successful Asian parks. It’s so convenient the love of baroque just skipped France but spread to every other place in the world.

Also this entire point is moot because nothing about the Disney parks is ‘baroque’. There’s Main Street, which is old Americana, there’s the castle which was inspired by these places - ‘Cinderella Castle was inspired by a variety of real and fictional palaces. These included Fontainebleau, Versailles and the châteaux of Chenonceau, Pierrefonds, Chambord and Chaumont, as well as Castle Neuschwanstein, Bavaria, the Alcázar of Segovia in Spain‘ - none of which are baroque and half of which are in France, there’s Fantasyland which in DLP’s case is a mix of styles from across Europe (never baroque), there’s the jungle of Adventureland, the Jules Verne landscape of Discoveryland and the Wild West in Fronteirland.

The exact same logic applies to the films (in fact they set a lot of them IN France!) which all have a different look or style dependant on what culture it’s featuring.

Maybe if you stop talking out of your arse I won’t have to keep criticising you?

balrog

Mega Poster
Maybe it's a language problem then. In french, baroque with a small b means exuberant and excessively ornated. I guess I wrongly assumed it was the same in english.
Doesn't change the fact that your messages were dumb.

Ben

CF Legend
No that’s what the style is and Disney still isn’t that.

But sure call me dumb for pointing out everything you said wrong.

spicy

Giga Poster
Disney is ugly by nature

c67d4829340daee85524f395fdbf07a2.jpg

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
no what you say is in black and white
Sorry, me again.
Some texts aren't all black and white, they're open to interpretation.
It can often be difficult to judge the tone of someting without the full context or hearing it spoken. You can read it in a different voice in your head and completely change a sentence. It's why emoticons exist really, just some people might be lazy to use them or think they look tacky.
If a deeper explanation doesn't tie up with the way you initially read it, it doesn't automatically mean someone has changed their tune.

For reference, the tone of this post is intended to be helpful rather than aggressive/condescending etc. and has no bearing on the discussion in this thread, other than the quoted statement. So, lets pick... :) this one.
I should probably default 90% of mine to the Hixee wink.

balrog

Mega Poster
But sure call me dumb for pointing out everything you said wrong.
Because you ate twisting meanings and focusing over pointless details. Yes, I might have used the word baroque improperly but it didn't make my entire talk ****. And beside that, your sentance
You’re now saying that French people don’t appreciate Baroque but Americans do, despite it being a European architecture style?!
is probably the most absurd sentance one could write using the words Baroque, French and American.

As for DLP being ugly, well, the word Disney is commonly used in France to describe something kitch, ugly and very fake looking. Where I'm from, there is a whole housing complex nicknamed Disneyland because of how crappy it looks. So I guess we can assume that DLP isn't winning any beauty pageant any time soon, not one judged by french people anyway. But I might be wrong, I started the whole thing with a maybe for a reason.

Ben

CF Legend
Again, I am not twisting anything. What you have written is nothing to do with tone like Heartline is banging on about because there is no way to change the meaning of your post with a different tone.

I mean, you don’t know what baroque is since you think Disneyland is it, and have then got no response to any of my other points about it so, probably going to ignore you calling anything I say ‘absurd’ until you get your facts right and can respond to me. Also, I was relaying your own point to you so you just called your own point absurd.

For fun, tell me what you think a pretty theme park is since the Disney widely regarded as the prettiest one amongst enthusiasts is not doing it for you. Heaven forbid you ever go to Magic Kingdom or Tokyo...

Ethan

Strata Poster
Where I'm from, there is a whole housing complex nicknamed Disneyland because of how crappy it looks. So I guess we can assume that DLP isn't winning any beauty pageant any time soon, not one judged by french people anyway.

Proof that the French have terrible taste then? Sounds about right.

Also, in the concept art, what is the large grey part with a path going to it behind Toy Story Land?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I’d say that looks more like a service access road to be honest.

The artwork is only the first draft artwork to show that they’re building stuff, so take it with a pinch of salt when the final result doesn’t look exactly like it here.

balrog

Mega Poster
I'm not a big theme park fan. I like the "thrilling" coasters and rides. I never cared for dark rides and shows and costumed caracters so Disney parks aren't really a must do for me. I'm going to japan in the summer and if I'm to dedicate a day to a park, Fuji-Q would be my first choice over Disney or Universal.
For what I've seen in pictures, it looks like MK and DisneySea look a lot better than DLP though, so my analysis of those parks could be a lot different.
Also I know I'm a bit fuzzy on whether the tackyness comes from DLP in particular or Disney in general, that's because I don't know. I've never been to any other Disney park or event, most french people never did. So maybe when we use "Disney" as an adjective, we really just mean DLP.

MOD EDIT: Some content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I've not been to DLP for a while. Is the new Star Tours in English or still in French? Will the new stuff be in English now Disney don't have to compromise?

balrog

Mega Poster
Sorry, although I ended my post on topic. I think this expansion represents the oportunity for DLP to reach the level that seem to be expected from a Disney resort, many people on french forums feel that way. So maybe the park will start to attract the local croud as much as it was supposed to, and this is great news.