What's new

Walibi Belgium | Kondaa | Intamin Mega Coaster | 2021

Enil

Roller Poster
I'm starting to believe that we won't see a pull through. Maybe there is plenty of space around the track and there's no need for it. They were seen measuring the clearance envelope on the brake run and lift hill, so perhaps those were the only places where this was needed?

Enil

Roller Poster
The ride still has to warm up so it is normal that it looks a bit slow on the first test runs. On IAAPA they also said that it had a ride time of around 1:30 and the video is 1:46 and the train still isn't in the station so we can expect the train to go a bit faster when it warms up.
I think ThrillsExpreds is just joking around ;) It's a bit of a meme in this community to comment on test rides saying it's slow. I think it has a really good pace already, except for the non-inverting cobra roll which does look slow, but that'll surely change as it warms up. As for the ride time, bear in mind that it comes to a complete stop on the brake run in this video so I wouldn't use the videos play time as comparison material. What we can conclude from this video is that the ride time is solid: over a minute from first drop until brake run. It'll surely speed up but a ride time around the minute mark is very good for an intense ride like this imo.

Enil

Roller Poster
Does someone know what that loud sound at the top of the lifthill was, it didn't really seem to be a good sound.
It's completely normal, that sound is made by the anti rollback system. As the train crests the hill, it gains speed and the rattling of the ARS produces a louder sound as the metal piece on the underside of the train which it consists of slams against the anti rollback teeth on the lift hill. On Untamed for example, this sound is very audible too.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I love that they actually made the lift that fast! They announced at IAAPA that the ride would feature a "high speed chain lift" but I didn't expect it to be that fast.
Doesn't really look any faster than the likes of the lift hill on Hyperion?

Anyhow, yeah I'm a bit disappointed with the pacing on this test run, but I fully understand and appreciate the fact it will speed up significantly since this is the first test run and so it doesn't really mean anything.

Enil

Roller Poster
Doesn't really look any faster than the likes of the lift hill on Hyperion?

Anyhow, yeah I'm a bit disappointed with the pacing on this test run, but I fully understand and appreciate the fact it will speed up significantly since this is the first test run and so it doesn't really mean anything.
I suppose Hyperion also has a high speed chainlift then ;)

Coasterwaffle

Roller Poster
It's completely normal, that sound is made by the anti rollback system. As the train crests the hill, it gains speed and the rattling of the ARS produces a louder sound as the metal piece on the underside of the train which it consists of slams against the anti rollback teeth on the lift hill. On Untamed for example, this sound is very audible too. @Coasterwaffle: send me a pm if you want me to explain it in Flemish.
I totally understand what you are saying but the thing is that I haven't heard any anti rollback system that is so loud, the video is made from maybe 100 meters (300 feet) away and it still is so loud. I think that there could be something wrong but I wouldn't know what.

Enil

Roller Poster
I totally understand what you are saying but the thing is that I haven't heard any anti rollback system that is so loud, the video is made from maybe 100 meters (300 feet) away and it still is so loud. I think that there could be something wrong but I wouldn't know what.
Yeah there could indeed be something wrong but I think it's supposed to sound like that, the ARS is essentially metal slamming on metal so it's rather loud by default. Look at Steel Vengeance's ARS for example ;) On the other hand, this is much louder than Intamin's other newer installations...

Trax

Hyper Poster
The anti rollback should work noiseless on Intamins, they are using a magnetic based mechanism for decades now to keep the rollback quiet. This also reduces the wear a little bit. Hyperions anti Rollback used to be extremely loud too, but only during the earlier test runs. I think the lift might not have reached full speed yet, or the anti rollback is not fully adjusted; either way, once everything is set and done we shouldn’t hear any sounds when the train crests the lift.