What's new

Volcano Refurbishment

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: Volcano Refurbishment

I know its open as I saw an orp from a friend from over the weekend. Not sure if they did anything to it though...

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Finally! So is this the only thing that they'll probably be doing during the 2013-14 off-season? I hope they add some sort of new ride, but this is certaintly great! this is such a low capacity fantastic ride!

bmac

Giga Poster
CPSFMMCW said:
Finally! So is this the only thing that they'll probably be doing during the 2013-14 off-season? I hope they add some sort of new ride, but this is certaintly great! this is such a low capacity fantastic ride!

Right now I don't think Kings Dominion is on the table for anything drastic for next year. 2015 will probably be a different story I hope.

Also I never heard "low capacity" and "fantastic" in the same sentence, especially when talking about Volcano.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
bmac said:
CPSFMMCW said:

Right now I don't think Kings Dominion is on the table for anything drastic for next year. 2015 will probably be a different story I hope.

I think you're probably right. But it looks like KD is probably on the drawing table for a winged coaster of the cedar fair parks-lets hope its true!

Coastin Eric

Roller Poster
When I first walked into the station of this ride I said "How is this not dual loading" so there is definitely room for improvement.

Is it possible that they altar the LIM mechanism so it's similar to Maverick where one train launches and one sits on a brake run prior? They could even run four trains possibly. It seems like a lot of hassle to make switch tracks inside that station...

bmac

Giga Poster
It's a gigantic piece of crap that barely pushes out 500 people an hour, it'll get torn out before they do anything in terms of refitting that station. I honestly hope the 2015 attraction replaces Volcano so they can finally get rid of the long dead Congo area.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
I think at this point, when they say "upgrade" or "refurbishment" or "improvement" then that screams double loading platform. Either that or like paint the track red to look like volcano fire. I wouldn't like that cuz i305 is red. But the anaconda will prob get a new coat of paint. anyone know if its possible to switch out the trains on an arrow and replace them to make it a more enjoyable ride? I hope so...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
CPSFMMCW said:
anyone know if its possible to switch out the trains on an arrow and replace them to make it a more enjoyable ride?

Yes and no.

Rolling X Train at Everland, an Arrow looper, had new, sideless, trains from Vekoma added a few years ago. It's still a crap ride though.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
F.A.S.T. said:
If this unannounced refurbishment was just decided upon a couple of days ago, there's sill a large amount of time that needs to be set aside for design and fabrication before installation can even occur. Who the hell knows when they are going to close the ride!?! They could even wait for next off-season. Lets not jump to such bold conclusions!
Just in case anyone was wondering what ever happened with this. F.A.S.T. was right, but they actually waited two off-seasons to get it done. The queue does move a bit faster, but would have been much better with dual loading.
For those not familiar with the station layout, the photos below shows the new loading on the old unloading side and you now exit on the old loading side. The only negative about the change is that the queue line now extends out into the plaza in front of the coaster because of the shortened queue inside of the volcano.

10011721_10152597838421336_4026993480881866359_o.jpg