What's new

Unsafe/dangerous rides and coasters

bdfesq

Roller Poster
I am new to the forum and both an attorney and rollercoaster enthusiast.

I represent a client that was seriously injured on the X-2 rollercoaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I wondered if anyone else here ever suffered any head injuries from this 4D ride.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
gavin said:
To clarify, I've never stated Chinese knock-offs are unsafe or dangerous

Well, actually, you really did, which was what prompted the response in the first place:

Well, I guess it's a little hard to do satire or sarcasm on these forums...the emphasis here is on the argument that they are likely more dangerous than say a more widely respected manufacturer.

Then we're going back to "what if" and "would/could/should" arguments that make the assumption that the rides are poorly maintained and that any safety system has to be inferior. I'm not saying that they're absolutely up to scratch because I don't know, in the same way that none of us here knows. We're making assumptions on safety based on some weird shaping, poor paint jobs and accidents that haven't happened.

Obviously, neither of us have any proof over this issue, so none of us can essentially win the debate as such. I'm merely speculating based on the information available to me, as are you. When I'm trying to prove a minor variation in safety between knock-offs and genuine models, I appreciate that with the statistics available, there are too many variables to even consider proving this statistically.

gavin said:
Fair enough, and I'm simply pointing out the "views of countless others" are over-generalised and demonstrated (not from you, but from many) through largely "OMG!! It's such a deathtrap!! LOL". When people have a "view" based on zero actual knowledge of the subject - and this goes for anything, not just coasters - then I think it should be challenged.

If people are bored by this discussion, they don't have to read it. It was a crap topic anyway, with no actually decent points being made beyond "This coaster shook me around a bit; therefore:dangerous!"

Sorry if I hijacked such a thoughtful and exciting thread.
:roll: Agreed, there are far too much exaggerated 'views' concerning these #OMG 'death traps'. Granted, there may be several instances of accidents just waiting to happen, but as you've stated, it's merely a huge generalisation that rightfully should be challenged.

At the end of the day, all I'm trying to say is that virtually any knock-off (so that applies to coasters worldwide) is likely to be more accident-prone than the original design. That's simply just the way the world works, unless you do the same amount of R&D; if you don't have the original blueprints, the 'stab in the dark' as such will be slightly off. Just take knock-off watches for an (albeit slightly flawed) example. That's all I have to say.

I have my perspective and you have yours...so lets let this 'thoughtful' and hugely philosophical discussion continue. I likewise wouldn't want to hinder the imparting of such useful knowledge.

wakey1512

Roller Poster
The bottom line here is that to make a roller coaster on a 'budget' or any product for that matter, money must be either saved through more efficient production methods, or actually cut down on the production quality itself, which I think the latter is the most obvious. I watched a video of a brand new knock off SLC doing a run about half full and you can just see the train losing energy on every single inversion and turn. By the time it attempts to go through the double inline twist, hardly a demanding inversion, its nearly coming to a standstill and only just makes it through the last inline twist. The brakes are comical at this point as the train is only doing about 5mph. I would dread to see the same with a fully laden train. My guess is they don't run at full capacity because of this?

I ended up with the seatbelt around my neck on Wild Mouse at Blackpool, so that'd be the first choice. Second would be Wind Storm at Old Town in Florida, oh my God that thing was gross.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Don't mistake dangerous and "the ride ops have only just met you and already want to see you dead" ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It is all still worth pointing out that roller coasters are still statistically one of the safest modes of transportation out there. Want to know real danger? Try walking or driving - you are far more likely to be involved in an incident.

bmac

Giga Poster
Hyde244 said:
It is all still worth pointing out that roller coasters are still statistically one of the safest modes of transportation out there. Want to know real danger? Try walking or driving - you are far more likely to be involved in an incident.

Is it funny that coconuts and vending machines are more dangerous than roller coasters?

JKM

Mega Poster
I didn’t want to write my first post about accidents, but I think it is anyway interesting. I was in Gardaland last summer, where I was riding Blue Tornado and at the end of first drop my shoulder restrains just opened. I immediately closed it, heard “ click, click, click “ and thought “ please, just do not open on loops ! “. For a second the only protection I had was a belt. Through the next part of ride I didn’t noticed any problems, otherwise I wasn’t be here today. I think I should report this thing somewhere. I was trying to send massage to this Vekoma, but they didn’t answered me.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
They're probably not interested in a massage. I get loads of messages on my phone offering me a massage, and I always ignore them.

TilenB

Strata Poster
JKM said:
I didn’t want to write my first post about accidents, but I think it is anyway interesting. I was in Gardaland last summer, where I was riding Blue Tornado and at the end of first drop my shoulder restrains just opened. I immediately closed it, heard “ click, click, click “ and thought “ please, just do not open on loops ! “. For a second the only protection I had was a belt. Through the next part of ride I didn’t noticed any problems, otherwise I wasn’t be here today. I think I should report this thing somewhere. I was trying to send massage to this Vekoma, but they didn’t answered me.

If you did get a feeling that there was something wrong with the ride, I think you should rather inform the park first and not the manufacturer. After all, it is them who check the ride every day before the opening and closure of it and the manufacturer. I guess that the maker is only involved in the regular maintenance that usually occurs once a year, mostly in the off-season, but even for that, I'm not that overly sure...

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
No.

When I was a kid, 11 I think, I legitimately thought I was going to fly out of the Phoenix at Knoebels and was holding on the bar with all the might I could. That was of course as a small kid and no coaster experience like that.

I can't ever say I've ever felt actually scared for my safety on a coaster or ride. Maybe there were scary moments like first time on Skyrush, and shockingly Full Throttle in the back row felt like it would pitch you out, but I never truly feared for my life or safety. Honestly, no major park (even small) will have this concern.

The only rides that may be truly unsafe are fair ones, or perhaps some of these very obscure/small/run down and neglected parks, but yeah...I can't imagine most parks have any rides that are actually dangerous/unsafe

singforfood

Roller Poster
The ride itself is safe, but the first time I went on Full Throttle at SFMM, I was uneasy with the restraint system. The problem is... I have very long legs, and the bottom half of the restraint that locks your shins into place was actually preventing the top half from reaching my lap. Not exaggerating at all, it was probably 8-10 inches away from my hips, and when we went through the loop I actually felt the seat belt take my weight for a second.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Obviously roller coasters are designed to be safe. I don't doubt that, but sometimes I can't help but doubt the vigilance of ride maintenance at grottier theme parks. If the park has broken bits of themeing everywhere and generally messy, unkempt grounds, this will lead me to wonder how much they look after their rides too.

In particular, the Eurofighter at BonBon Land springs to my mind. When I rode it, there were bits of foil and rubbish mingled in with the flat part of the chain lift?! Why hadn't someone spotted that and cleared it up? But then, no one had spotted the countless broken animatronic creatures lying face down in the mud everywhere you look, either.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
singforfood said:
The ride itself is safe, but the first time I went on Full Throttle at SFMM, I was uneasy with the restraint system. The problem is... I have very long legs, and the bottom half of the restraint that locks your shins into place was actually preventing the top half from reaching my lap. Not exaggerating at all, it was probably 8-10 inches away from my hips, and when we went through the loop I actually felt the seat belt take my weight for a second.

Oh wow.
I'm surprised the top hat part you survived! I felt myself getting legit out of the seat movement, and when I was on line, as a train came into the breaks I saw a guy who looked like he just faced death and his friend was scream/laughing "He almost lifted out!" He looked like a bigger dude too so I almost wonder if it was like your situation.

singforfood

Roller Poster
JJLehto said:
singforfood said:

Oh wow.
I'm surprised the top hat part you survived! I felt myself getting legit out of the seat movement, and when I was on line, as a train came into the breaks I saw a guy who looked like he just faced death and his friend was scream/laughing "He almost lifted out!" He looked like a bigger dude too so I almost wonder if it was like your situation.

Imagine what it's going to be like when I go on TC! Excited, but a little terrified. And also hoping that they actually let me ride.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
JJLehto said:
No.

When I was a kid, 11 I think, I legitimately thought I was going to fly out of the Phoenix at Knoebels and was holding on the bar with all the might I could. That was of course as a small kid and no coaster experience like that.

I can't ever say I've ever felt actually scared for my safety on a coaster or ride. Maybe there were scary moments like first time on Skyrush, and shockingly Full Throttle in the back row felt like it would pitch you out, but I never truly feared for my life or safety. Honestly, no major park (even small) will have this concern.

The only rides that may be truly unsafe are fair ones, or perhaps some of these very obscure/small/run down and neglected parks, but yeah...I can't imagine most parks have any rides that are actually dangerous/unsafe

Back seat with hands up, I basically held myself in with my feet, under that little nook down there. It was actually pretty awesome. Real skinny people though (not me) probably should hold on to the restraints on Phoenix.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
It was only on my last ride on Phoenix, that I mustered up the courage to go hands up on the final four hills. It is quite ridiculous how far I lifted out of the seat, but there is no ride which is more fun. Although, I didn't find there much air at the back, the front is where it's at on that ride <3

That being said, although I wouldn't say it is unsafe, it was just a little unnerving, in the same way the wild mouse at BPP can be a little unnerving due to lack of restraint.