What's new

Universal IoA | Jurassic World VelociCoaster | Intamin Blitz | 2021

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I thought Velocicoaster's stall exits the stall by rolling out the opposite way whereas IG's exits the same way it enters?

Yeah... it does, maybe I just didn't word it very well. My bad. When I said it exits the stall the same way it entered, I meant the direction of rotation stays the same. Anti clockwise in, anti clockwise out, so it's kinda like a zero g roll with pause in the middle. The RMC stalls always switch direction, and I'm really looking forward to experiencing an Intamin stall.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Yeah... it does, maybe I just didn't word it very well. My bad. When I said it exits the stall the same way it entered, I meant the direction of rotation stays the same. Anti clockwise in, anti clockwise out, so it's kinda like a zero g roll with pause in the middle. The RMC stalls always switch direction, and I'm really looking forward to experiencing an Intamin stall.
I've never experienced a zero-g stall as well so very much looking forward to seeing which coaster delivers the better one :)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Well technically I wouldn't consider the "stalls" on Pantheon and Veloci as stalls at all, I would consider them more as elongated zero-g rolls or corkscrews. Because I would define a stall as a linear element where you enter and exit from the same side (ala all RMCs). But we also include linear cutbacks, such as the ones on Wicked Cyclone and SteVe as stalls, and they don't stretch out. So yeah, for me personally, the ones on these Intamins aren't technically stalls, they just look like stalls. I guess it's really up in the air as to what is considered a stall though because they all seem to be a bit different.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I knew this sounded familiar:

There's clearly three different inversions - for anyone too lazy to click the link:
Zero-G Roll: Continuous roll in the same direction
Zero-G Cutback: Continuous roll with a change in direction at the top
Zero-G Stall: A pause in the roll at the top
Doesn't matter if the roll continues in the same direction or reverses halfway though - as long as there is a section of track where there isn't any rolling, it's a "stall". This clearly has a "stall":

RNCPKx6.jpg

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
The more I see of this, the more I'm sure this is going to be a better cred than Iron Gwazi.
I think I agree. Intamin are smashing it with their new coasters this year, even though one could argue that they're 'borrowing' heavily from RMC with certain elements (stalls, sideways airtime etc..) but so what? If it means we get more coasters with more crazy new manoeuvres in more parks, bring it on!
That's just made me realise that the state of Florida is actually getting TWO zero g stalls in the same year and I gotta say, I think Velocicoaster's looks better. I like the way it exits the stall by rolling out of it the same way it entered, rather than the RMC method of switching the direction of rotation. Looks cool.

Now that's some hot takes! Though I won't rule it out. I was a little unimpressed with IG's layout. I mean ride is gunna be sick as hell but it does look a bit drawn out, like it's kinda spacious and theres lots of turns, esp up in the air. It doesnt seem as jam packed as SV or Hakugei or maybe even other RMCs that hit one after another. Of course need to ride it and may be totally wrong! Velocicoaster does look more compact and throws more at you. If its a forceful ride...it could rival Iron Gwazi. I agree its "stall" (look Im calling it that, IDC) looks better than IG too.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'm in the train of thought that it does look a little on the slower side, and I assume it won't end up much quicker given how long it's been testing.

Not necessarily a bad thing though. If could help create a ride of two halves, with the second half being much more relentless and insane, and having that follow a 'tamer' first half only emphasises that relentlessness more. But that's a hard thing to pull off right. I think Taiga does something similar, and it does that perfectly imo, so here's hoping we see lightning strike twice!

Matt N

CF Legend
I think it looks great, personally, and I can’t wait to hopefully ride it at some point!

With regard to the speed; the slower first half might actually make for some pretty nice hangtime in some of those larger inversions. Besides, I don’t even think it looks slow in the first half, personally! A lot of Intamin launch coasters tend to have a slower first half and a faster second half, anyway; @JoshC. already mentioned Taiga, and I’d also say that Taron looks to do a similar thing (I haven’t ridden either, mind, so do correct me if I’m wrong here).

In terms of my expectations here; if I like it half as much as I like Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, I’ll be thrilled!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I'm in the train of thought that it does look a little on the slower side, and I assume it won't end up much quicker given how long it's been testing.

Not necessarily a bad thing though. If could help create a ride of two halves, with the second half being much more relentless and insane, and having that follow a 'tamer' first half only emphasises that relentlessness more. But that's a hard thing to pull off right. I think Taiga does something similar, and it does that perfectly imo, so here's hoping we see lightning strike twice!

Taron does exactly that. The first part is actually quite intense but it really cannot compare to the insanity that is the second part. Intamin has really mastered the art of coaster dynamic in their layouts so that things keep getting interesting. Heck, even on this coaster, the first part is more "traditional" in terms of elements (no funky inversions or maneuvers) whereas the second part is basically a catalogue of RMC's best elements cranked to 11.

Universal is onto a hit with this one.

And I love how Universal is MURDERING every enthusiast (and some parks that try to roast them) with their tweets.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^^come on now, you know that this'll beat the brakes off Icon 😄

First half does look a bit underspeed when cycling empty trains, but with loaded trains it looks about perfect. The key with the first half is getting that ideal speed, you don't want it to be too fast that you miss the theming & raptors in there, but don't want it to be too slow so that it feels sluggish. 2nd half I have no issues with the speed. Thing hauls a$$.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
I seriously think that this could be closer to soft opening than we think! It ain't meant to be open until summer but with people already getting on it (staff and promotional folk) I don't see why else they couldn't soft open it say within the next few weeks. Wishful thinking I know 😂

Edward M

Strata Poster
We're all gonna die they've not got any nets! Hope they don't go up tho what a way to spoil that gorgeous view
Was thinking the exact same thing! I imagine they will for obvious safety concerns, but I also wonder if their rather stringent loose article policy somewhat negates the need for nets. I highly doubt that's the case, but I'd love to keep that view on that pathway.

@velocicoaster hit me in the head with your riders' loose articles queen.