What's new

Universal IOA | Incredible Hulk | B&M Retrack

Re: Universal IOA to close Hulk for new enhancements

^^ Portaventura hasn't been owned by Universal for a good few years, 2004 I believe?

Weird to see this! Didn't think it was that terrible last year, only rough by B&M standards but still not that bad.

I second the question from earlier, is this the first time B&M track has been replaced? If not, surely this is the largest amount ever done!

Rumours are the replacement track was made for the failed Dubai park....so presumably they have a complete set that they could use if they wanted to.

That's a dumb rumour, you can't just use any old track, each piece is custom made for the coaster.

^ Well unless the park had a Hulk clone. Even then I'm still not sure it would work.

I rode Hulk October last year and I didn't find it rough at all. I am really surprised by the amount of re-tracking happening here but I guess they wouldn't do it unless it really needed it.

Crazycoaster said:
That's a dumb rumour, you can't just use any old track, each piece is custom made for the coaster.

As the spicy said, it was presumed that it was a clone. Beijing universal has been pictured with a hulk clone in it's concept art so it's plausible that it would have been a clone in Dubai too. Not sure why they would have commissioned it so early though. It was just people saying it on the comments of that video- no idea if it is true or not, as I said, it's just a rumour.

The speculation really doesn't matter at this point - obviously they are going to be needing new track!

SilverArrow said:
Weird to see this! Didn't think it was that terrible last year, only rough by B&M standards but still not that bad.

This. I really don't understand why it makes economical sense to replace this much track. I never found it that rough at all. Unless for some reason the 'grinding' people are talking about is affecting trains and costing them a load of money.

^Unless it makes sense from an engineering standpoint? Hulk's likely one of the most ridden coasters out there, and in the Floridian heat and humidity, so maybe some of the track simply has had too much stress and wear on it?

It would be very odd if they were only retracking, but as it happens, they're introducing new trains, theming and perhaps even a new launch system. Retracking isn't entirely necessary at this point, but if they're performing a major rennovation on it, they might as well tie in a track rehab, to save downtime later.

I just hope they don't change its epic theme music:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwr_IlKjr5U[/youtube]

The launch system was pretty weak, and drained a ridiculous amount of power, so I hope they change that :)

CoasterCrazy said:
^Unless it makes sense from an engineering standpoint? Hulk's likely one of the most ridden coasters out there, and in the Floridian heat and humidity, so maybe some of the track simply has had too much stress and wear on it?
No, probably not. Steel is one of the most durable materials man has ever built with - and we have yet to see an honest case of a steel roller coaster needing retracking due to wear and tear.

In all likelihood, the retrack work plays into the general overall of the roller coaster, with plans to alter the layout.

Could none of the track removal be for site access?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.

Lofty said:
Could none of the track removal be for site access?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.
Wouldn't have thought they'd scrap the pieces if so. The video shows them at a scrapyard.

^I'd be inclined to agree. They look discarded, not like you'd expect them to be stored if they were going to reuse them.

I didn't mean to store them - but a change of layout seems a bit of a wild statement considering they've literally just scrapped some pieces.

Lofty said:
I didn't mean to store them - but a change of layout seems a bit of a wild statement considering they've literally just scrapped some pieces.
Well if they were just removing them for site access, why would they be scrapping them? They'd be storing them 'properly', surely?

I think retracking is more likely than a change of layout, but then I still find that quite surprising! :lol:

Apparently universal had signed a contract with the scrapyard to get them to agree not to give away or sell any parts (presumably to fans) before it's melted down. (Source is in the video description, obvious again, not 100% confirmed). Suggests scrapping.

I don't think anyone here (or elsewhere) has suggested that it will be a new layout?

Wonder how long before we get more info. Very intriguing.

No, probably not. Steel is one of the most durable materials man has ever built with - and we have yet to see an honest case of a steel roller coaster needing retracking due to wear and tear.

Might I suggest the first drop of The Big One at BPB as one example? I read reports of stress fractures in the track. It was a particularly brutal transition into the turn - a wonderfully dramatic start to the ride.

One reason why the track might be being replaced is that track of a different gauge is being fitted. It does seem very odd indeed that all of the track is being removed...

Over the course of the years, I wouldn't be too surprised if the entire track work of PMBO has been replaced. Not too long ago it seemed like every winter they replacing more and more track.

Crazycoaster said:
Is ALL of the track being removed though?
Not that we know of. All we have is the video showing the scrapped track.

Also, FWIW, the new trains will most likely have the Flyer vests.

The rumor I've heard from one of the guys from InTheLoop is an interesting one:

Supposedly, Universal planned to build a park in Dubai that would have featured a Hulk clone, themed to King Kong. According to this rumor, this King Kong coaster was completely fabricated by B&M and Clermont, but the project for Uni Dubai was eventually cancelled. So, there is a complete Hulk clone somewhere in storage, waiting to be constructed. If this rumor holds true, King Kong Hulk could be replacing the current Hulk.