What's new

UK dark coasters

cp23

Mega Poster
What decent enclosed coasters are there left in the UK and how likely is it that we'll see a new one any time soon? I love dark coasters, and really miss the Black Hole, and am sad I never got to ride Blackpool's Space Invader. I think X:\ No Way Out is dire, though.

So, what decent dark coasters are left in the UK? I've heard Raptor Attack, the rethemed Rat ride at Lightwater Valley, is pretty good.

I'd love the Black Hole tent to be used for a new AT dark coaster and/or for Thorpe to strip the X building and put a decent coaster in there (call it X2 or something like that). Not sure how likely either of these suggestions is, though.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
cp23 said:
I'd love for Thorpe to strip the X building and put a decent coaster in there (call it X2 or something like that). Not sure how likely either of these suggestions is, though.

I don't think any theme parks have renamed a rollercoaster formerly known as X and called it X2 before..

But, as for new dark coaster, "Brean Fun City" bought Blackpool Pleasure Beach's Space Invader 2 coaster and have claimed that it will be the UK's only Dark Ride Rollercoaster, so we might get something good there next year from them.

cp23

Mega Poster
They're claiming it to be the UK's *only* dark coaster!?

I knew Brean had bought Space Invader but wasn't sure whether they'd be running it enclosed or not. Glad to hear they are, just wish it were somewhere other than Brean; never been there but it looks like a total dive. I may well be doing the place a great injustice, however.

cp23

Mega Poster
A friend went to Thorpe today and said X:\ No Way Out was running with the lights on. Googled it and apparently they're doing this now (after 14 years!) to reduce motion sickness. Well done Thorpe management, you truly are cretins. One of the few remaining UK dark coasters ... no longer a dark coaster.

Once upon a time people would have thought this were an April fool's joke or something :-(

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
^ So I guess Raptor Attack is the only one left in the dark then? Or is there any others?

EDIT: Ah sorry, I think I'm blind haha, but ive just read the post about Space Invader being enclosed at Brean, so there's only 2 coasters in the dark in the UK? Kinda sad that really as I love coasters in the dark and think there should be way more in the UK. I do hope they add a new one in the Black Hole tent as it's a shame it's sat there rotting away. =/

cp23

Mega Poster
I'd give anything to see a new dark coaster in the Black Hole tent. Well, truth be told I'd give anything to see the Black Hole back in the Black Hole tent, but that ain't gonna happen :-(

I just don't understand why (UK) parks don't build them any more; they can be absolutely fantastic!

T0M

Hyper Poster
They are amazing experiences. Raptor Attack, and also the Rat Ride before it, is/was one of the best themed, atmospheric experiences in the UK.

cp23

Mega Poster
Glad to hear it! There's a small chance I might go to Lightwater Valley this season so definitely look forward to that (if I go!).

I really think the UK needs something like Eurosat or Vogel Rok, both stunning experiences in my opinion.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I'd strongly advise it, I started going to theme parks this year for this first time since I was 13 in 1998. Raptor Attack has been the scariest experience so far!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
DjTommyB said:
^ So I guess Raptor Attack is the only one left in the dark then? Or is there any others?

EDIT: Ah sorry, I think I'm blind haha, but ive just read the post about Space Invader being enclosed at Brean, so there's only 2 coasters in the dark in the UK? Kinda sad that really as I love coasters in the dark and think there should be way more in the UK. I do hope they add a new one in the Black Hole tent as it's a shame it's sat there rotting away. =/

Cheese Factory, Gullivers Milton Keynes - epically awful coaster.

cp23

Mega Poster
Tom Green said:
I'd strongly advise it, I started going to theme parks this year for this first time since I was 13 in 1998. Raptor Attack has been the scariest experience so far!

Well now my interest really has been piqued! How does it compare to the (gone but not forgotten) Black Hole?

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've not been on Black Hole, but I've done Raptor Attack. I didn't really find it scary at all to be honest. There's definitely been effort put into the ride, and the indoor queue area has a very dark atmosphere. Judge it for yourself. It's definitely an improvement on The Rat.

T0M

Hyper Poster
The Black Hole was brilliant but Raptor Attack is a more interesting coaster layout and the dinosaurs make you jump/anticipate/nervous on your first ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Blackhole was rubbish. Space Invader was rubbish. X:\NWO is sputum on the sole of the shoe of rubbish. The Rat was... alright actually.

Generally, UK dark coasters = rubbish.

nealbie

CF Legend
Bring me Vliegende Hollander, or at the very least turn Valhalla into a coaster and get all the effects working! Then we'll talk UK dark coasters! :p

cp23

Mega Poster
furie said:
Blackhole was rubbish. Space Invader was rubbish. X:\NWO is sputum on the sole of the shoe of rubbish. The Rat was... alright actually.

Generally, UK dark coasters = rubbish.

Well then we need a decent one to buck the trend! Don't agree that Black Hole was rubbish, though; it was my favourite ride at AT.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Clone Zone IS a coaster...

It's basically...

http://www.rcdb.com/932.htm?p=2279

... inside. Sure, it's powered, but, it's as much a coaster as Flying Fish.

And Clone Zone's fab <3

Actually... Erm, yeah :)

Though it's fab in a cheesy way, not in a "OMFG, that's amazing" way.

I'd forgotten about Clone Zone :) And yes, it IS a coaster (if you count powered coasters).