What's new

TusenFryd | Storm | Gerstlauer Invert | 2023

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, sorry 'bout that.

The name "Dragen" was found on the planning proposal quoted in this post:

I think it was also confirmed in an article in a local newspaper, but those are a hassle to dig up as they require paywall access. I had a friend from the area show me the articles once.

EDIT to mention: The name actually fits quite well, as TusenFryd used to have a small Zamperla Dragon coaster named Dragen. It was very popular, but apparently cost more to maintain than the park was willing to pay for, so it was sold. The public still has Dragen in fresh memory, so bringing back the name for a bigger coaster would be a neat publicity stunt.

As for the involvement of Gerstlauer, I can only confirm it personally. I know someone involved in the project.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Spoke to a friend who has been a seasonal worker there for many years. He has talked with the mechanic team at the park, and they seem pessimistic about getting it open next year. Still missing a lot of ground work, apparently, which needs to be done before Gerstlauer can move in. But the site has been fenced off, at least. I'll see if I can get permission to post his photos here.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ooops, that took a while. Still, better late than never?

... is probably what TusenFryd says about their originally-scheduled-for-2021 attraction which might not happen until 2023. Anyway, pictures:

BnvrfGZ.jpg

No, you dolt, it is a pair of white leather gloves!

The old driving school has been entirely torn out. As far as I can tell, this picture is taken from here: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.7463...4!1sHwWbQLfHjxkJ32blgJrCJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The picture below is the same place, with the dirty panti- er, gloves not being as visible on the fence (they're still there but very hard to spot against the background - above the far right corner of the table).

kS4eLkV.jpg

I don't immediately recognize where the next two photos are taken, but it's probably out of bounds. My best guess is that it's up the backstage road that begins here: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.7469...4!1sW2HdE2rqlg8I-_muMTad7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

IWP8myM.jpg

0VPIvoQ.jpg

Google Street View hasn't been to the park since 2009, so it's hard to verify, but I think the fence detail to the very left here is part of the kids area that opened in 2011: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.7469171,10.7764295,119a,35y,261.84h,57.82t/data=!3m1!1e3

The pictures were taken at some point in August, so they aren't day fresh, but still, it shows there was quite a bit left to do of the groundwork before any coaster crew can come moving in. It could theoretically be done before winter arrives, though. The ground won't freeze until November or so. But getting the coaster ready for opening day 2022 seems like a stretch. Maybe they'd get it open for mid-season, but I believe 2023 to be more plausible, given the time required to train ride ops and such. Besides, if they postpone the opening of this attraction, they can wait an additional year before opening the next attraction, and that will look good in the spreadsheets.

Coasters

Roller Poster
Great update, I think we will have to wait until 2023.

Tusenfryd posted a survey today showcasing some consept arts of a retheme of the area between Finkarusellen, loopen and Speedmonster.
As Tusenfryd did loose a lot of money during the pandemic, I would guess that we will get this upgrade first hopefully next year and then Dragen in 2023 on their 35th year of operations. It´s cheaper for them to upgrade existing infrastructure and moving rides that are allready in the park. I think it´s a great move to move Mc-hopp and Minibil to this area so they can free up some land for future attractions. Nightmare is moving out and Minibil moves inn.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.32.56.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.34.01.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.34.43.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.35.03.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.35.32.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.36.06.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.36.39.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.37.30.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.38.04.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.38.12.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.38.25.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.38.33.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.38.46.png

Ethan

Strata Poster
I mean, the name 'Fifties Hills' makes me sick, but it looks pretty cute? Nice to see a park of this nature renovating themselves!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
On one hand, it is really nice to see literally anything happening in this side of the park. Apart from the interior retrofitting of the haunted castle, nothing has been done to the north side of the park since 2006. A lot of the buildings and infrastructure here have been standing since the park's opening year of 1988, and it really looks the part.

But there is an other hand too. This retrofit doesn't add anything but themeing to the park, and it involves the removal of yet another attraction. Granted, it reverses the removal of another ride (Trafikkfryd, the driving school), but I'd say Nightmare is a bigger loss - for a certain demographic, at least.

But overall ... I'm for it. It is a badly needed overhaul. It's something the park must do at some point, and there's no better time than ASAP in this case. The existing buildings are old and quite worn, the park needs themeing, and this development addresses both. But it also needs to be followed up with further investments. Shuffling existing rides around won't serve in the long term, and the park hasn't received any new rides in over half a decade. But with that necessary investment, with rides that build upon the "platform" of the themed area, I think this can be a real lift for the park.

Coasters

Roller Poster
Tusenfryd making upgrades for 250 million NOK
On Saturday 23 April, Norway's largest amusement park opens for the season. Tusenfryd announces the largest investment in the park's 34-year history. Over the next three years, large parts of the park will be significantly upgraded, and several new attractions will be built.

In a normal year, we have 500,000 guests inside the gates, and we have regularly launched new attractions and individual upgrades. What we are now publishing is a long-planned and comprehensive reinforcement of our offer. 250 million NOK enables a future-oriented investment our park has never before been the subject of, says CEO Bjørn Håvard Solli in Tusenfryd.

The overall move is that "New TusenFryd" is transformed from a traditional amusement park into a theme park with new and clearly defined zones. Several big thrill attractions will also be built.

Already this year, approx. 50 million NOK will be spent. The first work started earlier this winter to ensure that the first new attractions are ready for this year's season.

- What we can reveal from new rides for 2022, is a new water slide in addition to the fact that we open "The Dungeon" - a labyrinth of scary experiences where actors also appear to really get the pulse of the guests. In addition, we are introducing two completely new themed zones, says Solli.

The first new zone is called "Route 66" which is built as a small town just along the legendary "Route 66". New rides here includes a new bumpercars and motorcycle carousel for children, a new traffic school and an expanded and upgraded "Rockburger" restaurant.

In the second new zone, "Expedition Lost Kingdoms" is being built, an area where you embark on an adventurous voyage of discovery on different continents. Here you will find a brand new roller coaster for children as well as other exciting experiences and activities guests can take part in.

At the same time, Solli emphasizes that the park will not be perceived as a construction site. The public will not be significantly affected by the work as this will mainly take place the part of the year the park is closed.

All the measures are otherwise based on customer surveys and evaluations from the guests.

- It will be fantastic when everything is ready in 2024. The investment lays a solid and important foundation for Tusenfryd to be Norway's largest theme park for exciting and pleasant experiences with family and friends for many years to come. In addition, we are proud that we as a social actor in this way also secure hundreds of jobs for young people and contribute to creating significant value in accommodation, catering, trade, transport and in the tourism industry in the region in general, says Solli.

Attachments

• 277564440_10158939765292549_3743466138774262884_n.jpg
    277564440_10158939765292549_3743466138774262884_n.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 277466500_10158939765297549_2807008861179339338_n.jpg
    277466500_10158939765297549_2807008861179339338_n.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 58

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Tusenfryd making upgrades for 250 million NOK
On Saturday 23 April, Norway's largest amusement park opens for the season. Tusenfryd announces the largest investment in the park's 34-year history. Over the next three years, large parts of the park will be significantly upgraded, and several new attractions will be built.

In a normal year, we have 500,000 guests inside the gates, and we have regularly launched new attractions and individual upgrades. What we are now publishing is a long-planned and comprehensive reinforcement of our offer. 250 million NOK enables a future-oriented investment our park has never before been the subject of, says CEO Bjørn Håvard Solli in Tusenfryd.

The overall move is that "New TusenFryd" is transformed from a traditional amusement park into a theme park with new and clearly defined zones. Several big thrill attractions will also be built.

Already this year, approx. 50 million NOK will be spent. The first work started earlier this winter to ensure that the first new attractions are ready for this year's season.

- What we can reveal from new rides for 2022, is a new water slide in addition to the fact that we open "The Dungeon" - a labyrinth of scary experiences where actors also appear to really get the pulse of the guests. In addition, we are introducing two completely new themed zones, says Solli.

The first new zone is called "Route 66" which is built as a small town just along the legendary "Route 66". New rides here includes a new bumpercars and motorcycle carousel for children, a new traffic school and an expanded and upgraded "Rockburger" restaurant.

In the second new zone, "Expedition Lost Kingdoms" is being built, an area where you embark on an adventurous voyage of discovery on different continents. Here you will find a brand new roller coaster for children as well as other exciting experiences and activities guests can take part in.

At the same time, Solli emphasizes that the park will not be perceived as a construction site. The public will not be significantly affected by the work as this will mainly take place the part of the year the park is closed.

All the measures are otherwise based on customer surveys and evaluations from the guests.

- It will be fantastic when everything is ready in 2024. The investment lays a solid and important foundation for Tusenfryd to be Norway's largest theme park for exciting and pleasant experiences with family and friends for many years to come. In addition, we are proud that we as a social actor in this way also secure hundreds of jobs for young people and contribute to creating significant value in accommodation, catering, trade, transport and in the tourism industry in the region in general, says Solli.
This is great, but absolutely no mention of Fragen whatsoever? It is still going ahead, right?

Coasters

Roller Poster
This is great, but absolutely no mention of Fragen whatsoever? It is still going ahead,
They have made some progress on Dragen, foundation and footers have started to pop up around the layout.

The new coaster for this year Huri Huri is gonna be located in the new themed area Lost Kingdoms.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like they will be getting a small SBF Visa spinner! I saw something about it earlier (on Facebook, maybe?) but could not verify it so I decided not to post. From the looks of the concept art, it will be placed near the top of the park, straight ahead from the entrance.

With the new coaster for Hunderfossen too, this year will be quite a coaster year by Norwegian standards. A whooping two new kiddy coasters!

Also, here is the link to the press release:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Also, "The Dungeon" appears to repurpose the building that used to house Nightmare, the 4D theatre shooter ride. It was never *that* popular with guests and seen as a one-and-done ride. Funnily enough, the park used to have a haunted house attraction in the same building before Nightmare was built. I guess they are reverting to the roots with this one, in an even cheaper fashion.

I seem to recall that they planned to relocate the Bumper Cars to the Nightmare castle, though, and refurbish the facade to look like an old-timey fire station. I guess there was no room for that in the budget after all?