ytjunelwanm91.jpg

3rptddlwanm91.jpg

ifznvdlwanm91.jpg

m0lnbelwanm91.jpg

Source

Last edited:

Indy

Hyper Poster
That's not really surprising though. The hydraulic launch is almost certainly gone. Assuming they are truly "reimagining" the ride, new trains are almost certain as is a new launch system, so the old launch system and braking configuration are obsolete. I truly have no idea what they are actually doing to the ride, but I'm guessing it'll be gutted apart from the tower.

Trax

Hyper Poster
With the work already starting, I have serious hopes that TTD will be back in action for the 2023 season. They have close to 7 months for all the works, which sounds more than enough to replace the launch and brake track, given that both are quite low to the ground.
Let’s hope that I am right🙃

Indy

Hyper Poster
With the work already starting, I have serious hopes that TTD will be back in action for the 2023 season. They have close to 7 months for all the works, which sounds more than enough to replace the launch and brake track, given that both are quite low to the ground.
Let’s hope that I am right🙃
I would be a little shocked if this is the case. If they intended on opening it next year, I think they would have just announced what they are doing with it rather than provide the cryptic "reimagining" announcement. Not to mention, they are already investing a lot of money into the Boardwalk expansion and whatever they do to TTD could overshadow that investment or blur the profits.

I'm not going to bet money that it won't open in 2023, but my gut says that they are doing a lot of the prep/teardown now and will announce the reimagined TTD experience next year as their 2024 featured attraction.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Well, with all the delays in deliveries, I can imagine that they don't want to announce an opening date until they are certain, that they can make it.
The amount of work necessary for the reimaginaning - at least, as we expect it, is really not that much. Yes, you have to replace/remodel the whole straight track of the launch and brakes, + add new electronics for the LSM and do some remodeling of the station to accomodate the new trains, but this is easily doable within 7 months. There is no need to pour new foundations, there is no track to be mounted in larger heights, the supports should also be able to remain in place.
You can set up most of the electronics necessary while you change/modify the existing track, and simply lay cables to the LSMs later.
Other parks can build whole coasters within 7 months, so the LSM upgrade is certainly within the realm of possibility.

However, I can't rule out a 2024 opening, but why would you start now, if you don't expect everything to be delivered within a few months?

Christian

Hyper Poster
I thought Liseberg would be able to retrack a medium size prefabricated wooden coaster in a couple of months. I was wrong. This seems like a way bigger job, not counting building and testing the most powerful coaster LSM in the world (if they go with that).

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
It's possible that Intamin could have designed a retrofit kit that allows LSMs to be bolted into the same mounting points that the different mechanism for the current launch/brakes use, making installation much easier.

But I agree that the parks announcement seems more likely to be 2024.

Trax

Hyper Poster
That’s unlikely:
1. the new trains have only one pair of magnets, which are located in a different position compared to TTDs positioning for the brakes. This might be fixable with a change to the trains.
2. The fins on the launch track are mounted below the track, while LSM modules are mounted on top of it.

You might be able to fix a LSM module to the mount of a fixed brakefin, but not to a movable one; at least as far as I know.

Swat

Mega Poster
It's possible that Intamin could have designed a retrofit kit that allows LSMs to be bolted into the same mounting points that the different mechanism for the current launch/brakes use, making installation much easier.
I'd put money on this being a 'upgrade/modernisation package that Intamin will sell for all hydraulic launches

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Only for the launches or also for the track itself?
I was meaning for just the launch. Would save them a lot of money and would be a good potential product for Intamin to sell.

But I'm saying this as someone who knows nothing and has a very minute amount of engineering type experience 😂

Was just spitballing really

cookie

Giga Poster
So notable block zone aficionado Ryan Chin (aka ElToroRyan) posted a new video with a peculiar rumor: that Intamin may not be involved with the TTD "re-imagining" and Cedar Fair is reaching out to another company. Intamin would then no longer be held liable for the coaster, and Cedar Fair and this new company would take full liability going forward.

He makes a point to take this rumor with a grain of salt, but it would be an interesting twist if true.

Last edited:

Trax

Hyper Poster
I am really not sure if Intrasys would be able to provide enough thrust to accelerate the train. Maybe with a new double stator setup, which in return would allow for the brakerun and maybe even the trains to be reused without major alterations.

However, the part fell of a train, so if the launch system is at blame for the incident, it’s only partly.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I'd be a bit surprised if it proves to be a different manufacturer, but I won't bet against it. The notion that Intamin won't be held liable anymore is essentially a given though. A significant modification of that nature would pretty much void any sort of contractual or legal tie that Intamin has. It's like souping up the engine of your car and then trying to take it to the dealer and have them cover the repairs after you blow it up. You messed with the product, so it's no longer their problem in any way. Just like Six Flags Discovery Kingdom can't sue Great Coasters if something goes wrong with Joker.

Wonder if Formula Rossa would be able to use LSMs. I doubt it.
It won't go 240 kmh but they could remove the brakes after the launch and I imagine it would be fine.