What's new

Thorpe Park: What could the future hold?

reed2play

Roller Poster
Also, I can imagine a dive coaster would basically be seen as a less steep version of Saw by a lot of non-enthusiasts.

I'd personally love a B&M hyper at Thorpe; I personally think that Mako is outstanding, and the UK really needs a properly airtime-focused coaster, in my opinion!
Completely agree, a heavily theamed B&M steel floater airtime time coaster would be my first choice, followed by a GCI woodie.

Also, I can imagine a dive coaster would basically be seen as a less steep version of Saw by a lot of non-enthusiasts.

I'd personally love a B&M hyper at Thorpe; I personally think that Mako is outstanding, and the UK really needs a properly airtime-focused coaster, in my opinion!
Thorpe is begging for an airtime focused coaster (please, no more inversions, we have enough). An Intamin hyper like Skyrush would be a dream come true. If it is a GCI though, I just really hope it’s got more airtime moments than Wickerman.

Ethan

Strata Poster
My bet is on a triple launch coaster, something like a Sky Rocket II. If they got a sky rocket for example, they could smack one in a small space an not use up that fresh island behind Stealth. It would be the UK's first triple launch coaster and the UK's tallest inversion, so pretty marketable? It also has that "killer image" that Varney gets excited about, because the coasters themselves are pretty impressive to look at (notably the seemingly unsupported heartline roll at the highest point).

So yeah, my bet is on a Skyrocket II.

Snoo

The Legend
My bet is on a triple launch coaster, something like a Sky Rocket II. If they got a sky rocket for example, they could smack one in a small space an not use up that fresh island behind Stealth. It would be the UK's first triple launch coaster and the UK's tallest inversion, so pretty marketable? It also has that "killer image" that Varney gets excited about, because the coasters themselves are pretty impressive to look at (notably the seemingly unsupported heartline roll at the highest point).

So yeah, my bet is on a Skyrocket II.

I sure hope not. Those rides are just.. there? I mean, it would fit with Thorpe obviously but this is me being more optimistic hoping they'd go more unique given whats been going on out there over the last few years.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I sure hope not. Those rides are just.. there? I mean, it would fit with Thorpe obviously but this is me being more optimistic hoping they'd go more unique given whats been going on out there over the last few years.
Don't get me wrong I'd love something more interesting too. But this is a park that instead of a new coaster, invested in a VR experience and has attractions themed to Love Island and a dead television show. Therefore I'm not feeling optimistic that any new attraction will be anything more than "just there".

Edit: What I actually wish the park would do is just stop investing in terrible ideas and just clean up the place. Completely overhaul the entrance area, the bridge, the Pavillion etc. Make it feel like a true theme park and not a glorified JobCentre Plus. The place has so much potential, it's on an island after all! Give people a good first impression when the enter the park, and stop theming things to terrible IPs. I know IPs sell (I wrote a dissertation that touched on the subject), but my god does this park pick some terrible ones. I'd much rather they pull a Phantasialand and theme everything really well with original ideas, no IPs, all original soundtracks (which they have done recently) and make it an enjoyable place to be. So yeah, that's what I want from Thorpe in 2020 but we will never get that because customer experience and satisfaction seemingly means nothing to Merlin as of late. I actually wish London Paramount did happen, at least that might have given Merlin a kick up the backside to actually step up and sort their game out.

Last edited:

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I'm not getting my hopes up. Thorpe only seem to build average, boring coasters.

A B&M Hyper would probably be the best coaster in the UK so I'd take that. But there is a real opportunity here for them to build something world class, hopefully they grab it by the bollocks and put Thorpe on the global coaster map.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Thorpe actually has a pretty great coaster selection for a European park, its primary lineup is a nice collection of rides that would have been star attractions at most other parks on the continent. I know Nemesis Inferno isn't as big as Katun, Stealth is smaller than Red Force and Colossus might not be as imposing as Helix, but what other parks has got five coasters on that medium-large scale? It's true there are many parks whose main star attraction is bigger and better than anything at Thorpe, but the next greatest coaster in those parks tends to be smaller than Thorpe's second-largest, and the next after that can't stand up to Thorpe's third largest one, and so on down to five. The overall quantity and average quality at Thorpe is better than most other parks outside the US, even though it lacks a true stand-out ride.

But I too wish they would try something else than the theme they've been going for over the past decade or so: Grim, futuristic Urban fantasy/dystopia, whose main backdrops tend to be industrial buildings in various stages of decay or disrepair. Or translated into practice, "The cheaper we build it and the less we maintain it, the better it fits the theme!". Half Rusted Shipping Containers: The Ride practically makes itself, you just need to buy some defunct containers (can basically be bought for the scrap price) for theming, strew them about and then let entropy take its course. But it makes an awfully samey visitor experience, and the line between immersive theming and an impression of disrepair comes down to how well you manage to sell the other aspects of the setting. I think Thorpe has some great potential and some great attractions already in its lineup, it just needs to abandon the dreary, derelict image instead of actively pursuing it.

reed2play

Roller Poster
Thorpe actually has a pretty great coaster selection for a European park, its primary lineup is a nice collection of rides that would have been star attractions at most other parks on the continent. I know Nemesis Inferno isn't as big as Katun, Stealth is smaller than Red Force and Colossus might not be as imposing as Helix, but what other parks has got five coasters on that medium-large scale? It's true there are many parks whose main star attraction is bigger and better than anything at Thorpe, but the next greatest coaster in those parks tends to be smaller than Thorpe's second-largest, and the next after that can't stand up to Thorpe's third largest one, and so on down to five. The overall quantity and average quality at Thorpe is better than most other parks outside the US, even though it lacks a true stand-out ride.

But I too wish they would try something else than the theme they've been going for over the past decade or so: Grim, futuristic Urban fantasy/dystopia, whose main backdrops tend to be industrial buildings in various stages of decay or disrepair. Or translated into practice, "The cheaper we build it and the less we maintain it, the better it fits the theme!". Half Rusted Shipping Containers: The Ride practically makes itself, you just need to buy some defunct containers (can basically be bought for the scrap price) for theming, strew them about and then let entropy take its course. But it makes an awfully samey visitor experience, and the line between immersive theming and an impression of disrepair comes down to how well you manage to sell the other aspects of the setting. I think Thorpe has some great potential and some great attractions already in its lineup, it just needs to abandon the dreary, derelict image instead of actively pursuing it.

The problem is that Thorpe haven’t added anything of real note since the Swarm in 2012. A well theamed B&M airtime hyper would undoubtedly be the jewel in the crown in their coaster line up, if they get one. I think off the top of my head Portadventura, Europa Park and Liseberg all have a current stronger top 3 set of coasters. But going past that into a top 5 Thorpe does still pack a decent punch.

Totally agree with you though about the Industrial buildings, please Thorpe freshen things up abit. As you say the potential is there, it just needs an identity as that’s what this park lacks right now for me.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
@Pokemaniac

Agree they've got a very good line up 'on paper', but they're not very re-ridable. There's nothing at Thorpe where you would get off and instantly want to go straight back on for another go (apart from perhaps Stealth, for the launch).

Equally they're not thrilling enough to make it a regular visit, it's a once a year park at the very most.

And then theres the shocking operations and overselling of fastrack :rolleyes:

If they added an RMC, the other rides would be more enjoyable in a weird way.

Europa Park for example is another one where there's not a true wow-factor-coaster, but Blue Fire, Wodan and Silver Star are better than any Thorpe coaster IMO.

reed2play

Roller Poster
I think in relation to other U.K. parks, the rides at Thorpe are pretty thrilling. I can’t see them getting an RMC anytime soon, although that would be sweet.

The thing is though Europa Park knows it’s market, that’s one of the reasons it’s a multi golden ticket winner, Thorpe on the other hand seems to be gropping around in the dark abit finding there’s. Plus I think in 2020 Europa will get that stand out coaster.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I think in relation to other U.K. parks, the rides at Thorpe are pretty thrilling. I can’t see them getting an RMC anytime soon, although that would be sweet.

The thing is though Europa Park knows it’s market, that’s one of the reasons it’s a multi golden ticket winner, Thorpe on the other hand seems to be gropping around in the dark abit finding there’s. Plus I think in 2020 Europa will get that stand out coaster.
I think Alton have a far better line up in terms of quality, especially since the addition of Wickerman.

And each there's no way an RMC is coming.

I think Thorpe know their audience, hence the fun fair vibe of the place.

In fairness they've done a great job with The Walking Dead: The Ride. X was just pointless and a bit of a joke - it's still a crap coaster but a good experience. Top turd polishing from Thorpe.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Just coming here to remind you all we have: loggers gone, likely lack of im a celeb returning and slammer is still standing. The new for 2019 attraction is some dodgy gaming festival thing so yeah. dreadful.
Even worse: according to the sources I heard, it's replacing I'm a Celeberty and will be themed to (shudders) Fortnite.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Even worse: according to the sources I heard, it's replacing I'm a Celeberty and will be themed to (shudders) Fortnite.

Your sources are wrong. This event is going in the marquee, and though Fortnite is one of the games, it isn't themed to Fortnite. It's true I'm a Celebrity is gone, but this isn't a replacement for it.

Personally I just don't get this. Thorpe are struggling for people, so something like this isn't going to encourage anyone to come (I know it's not meant to, but my point is they need something to get people to come). And it's strange filler thing.

I'm sure there's other stuff happening this year, but making this a sole announcement after teasers after a couple of weeks (with a logo which looks like it was knocked up on Microsoft PowerPoint) is pretty poor in my opinion.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Much like Love Island Lates, it's pretty harmless and easy to ignore if it's not your thing. I guess the plan is to attract young gamers to the park and then hope they shout about it on social media. Some of these kids have hundreds of thousands of followers.

Personally I'd much prefer they'd focus on the actual rides and attractions. The throughput and downtime on the coasters has been shocking on my last few visits. And of course to replace the likes of Loggers, Slammer and I'm a Celeb.

But yeah, I can see why they're pushing this event.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Unfortunately I've pretty much given up on Thorpe as a destination I want to visit by myself, with friends or with the family.
Shame as I hadn't missed a season until last year, but the constant crap gives me no reason to return.

Jared

Hyper Poster
I’m A Celebrity will be replaced by a series of Escape rooms I reckon, they’re in fashion and could be installed on the cheap with little operational costs.

kai phillips

Roller Poster
I’m A Celebrity will be replaced by a series of Escape rooms I reckon, they’re in fashion and could be installed on the cheap with little operational costs.
they already have an escape room, wouldn't it make more sense to open it year round rather than build a new one.