What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Not only this, but I'm sure at one of the Q&A's Wardley/Varney has done with nerds over the years, the question of restraints on the smiler came up, and there was chatter about the perception of the UK GP and lap-bars being associated with more tame rides. Having no OSTR styled harness would dissuade guests from going on bigger rides due to fears of it being 'unsafe'.
And if we never start normalising new major coasters having lap bars then the general public will think this way until the end of time. Icon and Flamingolossus took a risky left turn and I damn hope it plays/played out in their favour.

If you're at Thorpe Park of all places I don't think you'd be put off from a coaster because it "has lap bars". If we never introduce the concept they'll be scared of them forever; I think it's about time it started happening more.

I don't think the incident will push them to put OTSRs on Exodus. I'm assuming it'll be incredibly easy to see the layout from the station, and there absolutely should be cameras everywhere to see every part of the layout. Also if they only operate two trains, why would it be an issue? I'm sure the train would only dispatch when the other hits the brakes, the worst thing that'll happen is that the train gets block checked on the lift but that'll only happen in my dreams where the ops were trained at Europa and can send a train in 20 seconds.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I reckon if you didn't mention the lapbar vs OTSR to most guests they wouldn't even notice. Even more so on the OTSR-lapbars you get on the Macks. I reckon most people don't even really cotton on.

Probably not a bad story for one of those ****ty tabloids to pick up at some point, though, which is probably just about all the attention it would ever get.

Doublethink

Roller Poster
I reckon if you didn't mention the lapbar vs OTSR to most guests they wouldn't even notice. Even more so on the OTSR-lapbars you get on the Macks. I reckon most people don't even really cotton on.

Probably not a bad story for one of those ****ty tabloids to pick up at some point, though, which is probably just about all the attention it would ever get.
Headline: MeRlIn EnTeRtAiNmEnT, FiRm BeHiNd SmIlEr HoRrOr CrAsH PaRk AlToN ToWeRs tO BuIlD 235ft rIdE ThAt DaNgLeS rIdErS fRoM JUST A LAP BAR!

Matt N

CF Legend
The public don't seem to care about the Mack lap bars on Icon, and they also didn't seem to care about G Force, which arguably had even more minimal restraints, for 13 years, so I don't think this ride using Mack lap bars would cause too many problems, personally.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I'd heard the smiler had OTSRs because the lapbars had a bigger reach envelope, similarly probably total nonsense though!

Does Mack have any OTSR coasters at the moment? If not, I can't see it being worth the investment on their end to develop a restraint just for this.

Matt N

CF Legend
Does Mack have any OTSR coasters at the moment? If not, I can't see it being worth the investment on their end to develop a restraint just for this.
They don’t, as far as I’m aware; in fact, the reason Mack developed their lap bars in the first place was because they didn’t like the fact that OTSRs were on virtually all inverting thrill coasters at the time, so Blue Fire was their way of shifting the paradigm for inverting thrill coaster restraints and shunning OTSRs.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
The fact that paradigm shift actually seemed to work is something I'm eternally grateful for - the more coasters I ride with roomy trains and comfy lap bars, the worse and worse rides like Colossus look in comparison.

Few thoughts about this now it's had time to settle:
I love how wacky the ride layout looks - we basically got the Thorpe RMC people have been wanting with all the weird lateral-airtime-inverted-drop-trick-track elements they packed into this thing. Thorpe's big traditional airtime monster can wait IMO, just stick a decent-sized GCI on the island behind Swarm a few years after Exodus to round out the thrill coaster line-up. Honestly, the more I think about this ride, the more sense it makes. The UK height record is one that only Thorpe could go for, but one that could've undermined Stealth's appeal had they built it too close. So they were stuck with the relatively cramped loggers site, and while they could've crossed over to slammer if they *really* wanted, I think they still squeezed a good amount of the footprint and I'd rather have a short, consistent layout than one that feels too dragged out. Hoping it goes through and looking forward to seeing this go up.

Trax

Hyper Poster
I don't think they will demand new restraints. This only adds costs and we all know how Merlin likes to save money where possible. They'll probably go for belts in addition to the restraint, but the advantage of the OTS Lap bar is, that the belt can be locked into the restraint, so this does not kill any airtime and does not change the sense of freedom.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I’m not even worried. They’ll be the standard Mack restraints (or standard for whatever manufacturer this comes from.)

The only time I’d worry is if it were a gerst… Then I think they may be tempted to go OTSR, a) because it’s already an option on type… and b) it would help with parts / maintenance.

One thing I’m almost certain of, they’re not going to ask a manufacturer to design a completely different restraint system that nobody else will use. Just imagine the maintenance costs in parts alone for a none standard system…

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
"Worlds first Mack hyper coaster to feature OTSRs!" - marketing sorted.

No to seatbelts in general. As someone with only semi functioning hands I detest the added faff. Every time I go to BPB I always seem to get the seats that have had a mop or an elephant as the previous rider. No in-between! Takes me forever to adjust those ancient belts from the 1500s or whenever. I'd rather get flung out.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Out of interest; for the splashdown on this, are we thinking it’ll be a splash effect like on SheiKra:
Or a set of water jets like Shambhala:

My personal suspicion is that this one will be more SheiKra-like, as I think a fair bit of braking will be needed (or at least wanted) before those last 2 elements, what with the height difference between the big dive loop and the fairly low outerbank and final hill.

Jets probably, and then they can turn them off after a couple of months, as per Merlin's policy on ride effects.

Doublethink

Roller Poster
Do we have any word if the results of the consultation will be shared or kept internal? Guess some of the feedback will be included with the planning submission as to support from public/ locals for the project and how any concerns were addressed

Swat

Mega Poster
Do we have any word if the results of the consultation will be shared or kept internal? Guess some of the feedback will be included with the planning submission as to support from public/ locals for the project and how any concerns were addressed
The public consoltation is still open until the 7th of January with a review of the consolation results and final design development to be completed within January/Febuary.

I expect we will see answers to any highlighted concerns when the planning application is submitted in the Spring.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Fun little thing that hadn't twigged for me: the final airtime hill and brake run run exactly where Loggers Leap's lift and drop are:

1640110579813.png
(Image from new plans put to the council today, regarding an environmental screening).

Interestingly, a new image suggests that more of the lake might be infilled than shown in the original images:
1640110663373.png
(basically anything shaded brown, compared to a bit less in the first image)

I can't tell if this is a temporary thing for during construction or an actual change. If it is a change, it makes sense from a maintenance/engineering point of view (easier to get to supports), but a shame that there won't be any parts of the ride where you go over water.

Snurt2theHark

Roller Poster
It's also worth mentioning that this is similar with Wicker Man, the final drop before the last pass through Big Bob is where The Flume's final drop was, the helix turnaround between the first two passthroughs were designed to go around The Flume's station as well (although this is because it was going to be turned into a restaurant when the layout was designed).

I genuinely wonder whether this is both a coincidence between Wicker Man and Exodus, where it's some homage MMM thought would be cool but never really publicised (unlikely) or if it's been done to save money somehow (but I don't see how it would save money).

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Sorry if I'm being dim but what on the image confirms it's a Mack?
The track in the above image is very Mack. I think its quite possible anyway as although Gerstlauer have similar track, their Infinity Coaster trains don't exactly have too many rows and the General Manager was quoted as saying that they are targeting a throughput of 1000pph.

Last edited: