What's new

Thorpe Park- How would you have done it?

spicy

Giga Poster
Cast your mind back 10 years ago to 1999, Tussauds just purchased Thorpe Park. A park with hardly any planning issues just a 100ft ceiling limit and a budget of about £150 Million to transform the park into the thrill capital of London.

The park you just purchased looks like this-

1999.jpg

We know how the story has gone on from there!

So what would you have done differently? Its only for fun but try and stay as realistic as possible.

xkirstyx

Roller Poster
i would have given it a bigger picnic area and more childrens rides aswell as hiring more security to keep the chavs out.

spicy

Giga Poster
So with £150 Million over 10 years you would have built a picnic area some childrens rides and hired extra security?

You could of done better then that surely? Or thats one hell of a picnic area :lol:

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Give it a bit more balance, so it's not almost exclusively big, thrilling rides. Build some rides that younger people find thrilling, not just adrenaline junkies.

Build some unique coasters and world first coasters, rather than build a niche theme first witha false claim for a record, a shrunken Strata coaster, adding two inversions to an old design to break a record, ruining the name of one of the greatest and most unique coasters ever built by building a barely original coaster with nothing to do with the prequel.

Not built whatever the hell X/NWO is.

Make it more family friendly without neglecting the fact the park is supposed to be the thrill capital and strengthen security to stop it becoming Chav Park.

Use the surroundings better, for example, theming a ride to the quarry or lake in some way, no matter how loosely, like the way Nemesis is themed to it's setting...after an alien was disturbed.

kimahri

CF Legend
Realistic as possible?

Do exactly what they're doing now. It's getting them profit so, what ever they're doing now is obviously working.

Or some deviation, like:

A more varied colossus, Keep N:I The same, Replace X:/NWO some years later and make Stealth longer, lower and more... twisty instead of the pathetic thing it is now.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Tbh there's not too much I would deviate from generally, Thorpe needs work but it's mainly atmosphere and reliablity issues more than the rides... However, I would have:

-Kept the theming to the standard Amity Cove was/is...

-Stealth more iSpeed or Xcelerator...

-Kept the original Colossus trains...

-Added more relaxation areas, such as keeping the farm...

-Themed NWO to Lost City so it makes sense...

-Themed all the flat rides incredibly well, like old Zodiac...

-Themed current Zodiac...

-Improved the capacity...

-Improved security...

-Saw have both a better queue and a theme to Canada Creek with Samurai...

-Remove the Arena and improve Ranger County with it...

So far that's all I can think of, probs would remove Octupus Garden and Neptune's Beach and just build some form of Main Street like area with some basic rides...

The main problem with Thorpe was the way it went downhill from 2004, in 2003 it was a brilliant park considering the 4 year difference, but now it has not become enjoyable due to the various factors that have happened since 04... A shame...

Jake

Strata Poster
The first thing I'd do would be sort out the whole entrance area.

The ticket booths are tatty, the bridge is too narrow and the Dome/Neptunes Kingdom area needs to be totally ripped out and replaced with something that makes sense, and isn't ugly/pointless.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I'd keep to a more family-orientated theme park, on the other hand I would make Chessie to be something on a more varied scale like Alton.

1*- I would get rid of the Ranger Country, to make some room for a compact family Intamin wooden coaster, that would be based at the back of the park From the rapids to Loggers Leap.

Keep Tidal Wave to be constructed.

2* - Construct a Gerstlauer Bobsled where Colossus stands, with a finale full of airtime hills!

I would simply construct more family-style flat rides, and keep the park to a nice gentle theme around the lake.

3* - I would later keep on a steady business, not taking to many risks and plan for a Mega-Lite which would be built around by Stealths area, I would get rid of some of the flats, including the rapids, to make room for it.

This would be approximately my finished product by today, showing only the rollercoasters in the dotted areas.

Thorpe.jpg

Only a rough plan.

yinyang

Mega Poster
1. - Blaze, wasn't no way out built before the purchase by tussauds?
2. - If you got rid of the rapids kebab, that would take away a great family ride. Rapids are one of the only rides the whole family (except buggy bound babies) can ride without a height restriction. It appeals to everyone, the amount of small parks I see and think a decent rapids ride would really change this park for the better.

I still think Chessington would benefit from a really good rapids ride, although many say that bubbleworks is like an indoor rapids ride, I still think a major outdoor one would boost Chessington's ride roster.

As for me, I would have put more into theming and the vibe of the place at Thorpe. As you see rides themselves may be well themed, some could be better, but the areas between lands don't really link too well and could be much much better.

marc

CF Legend
Can I just say Thorpe never worked as a family park before they took over. Thorpe Park was failing and if I am right X nearly bankrupt the old owners.

Yes there was bugger all there but Chessington was just down the road and this was the family park.

I think the route they took was the better one and went for thrill rides to please a gap in the market.

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
I would do everything that has happened up to 2010 and then i would paint samuria brown to match canada creek and placein canada creek not lost city. after that i will move x no way out to where the fungle safari was. after that i woulf get rid of octapus garden and put it next to the trampolines and climbing wall, then make a small family wooden coster from the back of slammer to just in front of the thorpe mega store.

yinyang

Mega Poster
^ thats' a heck of a lot of moving of rides and buildings, it's not quite RCT over at chertsey surrey lol :)

EDIT:- (in reply to harry boy)