What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

I googled Dark Secrets and found there is a television show of the same name.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2906890/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

When an abandoned industrial building is cleared for demolition, a locked door is discovered in its basement. The door conceals an archive of strange and disturbing specimens, recordings, photos and documentary films; compelling evidence of monstrous creatures and preternatural events. The documentarian's whereabouts remain unknown. In his records, he identifies himself only as The Teller. Whoever The Teller was, he saw it as his mission to make the public aware of these troubling truths. His many eerie case files and investigations reveal a frightening world of dark secrets.
The plans do look like an abandoned industrial building... The perfume bottle does look Victorian which, coupled with the name Whitechapel, does make me think Jack The Ripper further more.

Alex23

Roller Poster

That show is from the US though Ian, if they were going to use a show could it be Sherlock? Its a BBC IP and is Victorian based.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'm not convinced it will be BBC IP. As far as I'm aware, Merlin's connection with the BBC goes as far as CBeebies, with Paramount having the bulk of the "best" BBC IP's in their inventory and I imagine that would include Sherlock.

I can't see ITV IP and BBC IP being in the same park and virtually sitting next to each other. I'm not ruling it out, it just seems illogical.
illogical.jpg

Alex23

Roller Poster

Downton Abbey: The Ride? Im sure that would hit the spot with the thrill seeker market ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I am hoping this is elaborate enthusiast red herrings and they've finally worked out how to work with the community

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

I went today and a lot of clearing has gone on. You get a great view of everything from Inferno!
A ride op I was talking to, while X was down, informed me that he had to sign a document stating he wouldn't say anything about the new ride, but admitted he knew absolutely nothing. No idea if the whole document thing is true. One thing he did know, was that during morning testing of X, the engineers play Fleetwood Mac. The ride op thought a dark ride in the X pyramid would have been better.
Anyway here are a couple of photos:
11146284_10202689922527958_3118968608721864951_n.jpg

10373828_10202689922647961_6922628150161345790_n.jpg

With a reasonably sized area, I am hoping for something good.

coasterboy

Mega Poster

Victorian theme that's supposed to be "time sensitive"?

It'll be Assassins Creed.

The new game "Victory" is supposedly set in Victorian London, it's most certainly an active IP and was one of the options on the survey Thorpe sent out a while back. Since the game hasn't been announced yet, the announcement of a ride themed to the game would indeed be considered time-sensitive.

I really hope not, but it does make a lot of sense.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

coasterboy said:
Victorian theme that's supposed to be "time sensitive"? It'll be Assassins Creed.

I think you could be right! This theory seems somewhat likely, especially since the Assassins creed games are aimed at the age of Thorpe's target audience.

The IP wont be that 'Dark Secrets' TV show. That would be **** tragic, its unpopular, very few people know of it and it has mixed reviews. Its also American, not British.

Ethan

Strata Poster

I really don't see that IP having a big appeal if I'm honest, maybe for the gaming nerd people but most people would have never played it.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I thought it might be something to do with gaming too, Assassins Creed would be a great shout imo.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

IMO, Won't be assassins creed because...

Merlin have never used an IP that is still relevant, we can assume due to cost. For large investments that is.

They've never planned in advance to sync an attraction with a new media release.

I highly doubt (proper) video games are seen to have a big enough audience.

Doesn't fit the family brand change. I believe a large scale dark ride for Thorpe can only be to solve the family issue. Here's their only UK park without tricky planning restrictions and a company who don't have a great track record of dark ride popularity. (Not due to lacking quality, but the nature of thr UK audience, IMO.)

spicy

Giga Poster

They should go for something like Justice League at Movie World. Thorpe doesn't have a shooter and it would not only be popular with families but all ages

Doesn't have to be superheroes like Justice League because Merlin would never pay that much for the IP. But they should just go to Sally Corp and get that ride system with a different IP in my opinion.

But Merlin...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Why is everyone so convinced this will have an IP?
Merlin have created some amazing brands with even going near an IP.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

owentaylor121 said:

It's because Merlin see them as easy solutions basically. If they can get a popular name them into the park, it makes marketing 10 times easier for them, so that they can draw in the crowds and get the instant return they so desperately crave. Swarm wasn't as successful in its first year as they had hoped, which seems to have triggered a bit of a chain reaction; there certainly seems to have been a knee-jerk reaction to that, what with Angry Birds and I'm a Celebrity IPs coming in. It doesn't matter that Swarm is a popular ride on park now, it's still not seen as a successful investment.

I totally agree that Merlin have some amazing brands and themes - Smiler being the most obvious one in recent times, and they've been able to do a good job with Nemesis and Swarm too imo. But it just seems to be a fear that Merlin have that they if it isn't successful enough at first, then it's not successful at all. I guess being a dark ride too, if they don't want to reveal what the actual ride is, a good theme is essential to bringing people in, and an IP is the easiest way to do it.

I'm with Joey though in that is won't be Assassin's Creed. It just doesn't scream out family market to me, and this ride seems essential in showing to everyone again that Thorpe Park is a place for families (with slightly older children) to go to. I have heard that a game IP is possible, but I really hope that doesn't happen - I can't see any suitable game IP really working for Thorpe.

nadroJ

CF Legend

owentaylor121 said:

Because Swarm was their last major investment without an IP, and according to Merlin it wasn't very well received and they blame the lack of IP for this.

Intricks

Strata Poster

AC for a dark ride? What would you do exactly for it. The game is all about being sneaky and using the brilliance of parkour to move about. Is this going to be an obstacle course then, where you have everyone run and jump around small ledges like idiots?

Yeah, not going to be AC. I could see it being a SHOW of some form, but not a dark ride - its useless. That and I honestly cant think of a dark ride that is themed to a specific Video Game franchise.

As for Dark Secrets: I feel like I have heard about the show, but it also sounds like that one SyFy show Warehouse 13, so I could be mixing the two up.

Edit: I cant spell and I found the name of the show, so fixed them up.

Ben

CF Legend

nadroJ said:
owentaylor121 said:

Because Swarm was their last major investment without an IP, and according to Merlin it wasn't very well received and they blame the lack of IP for this.

Smiler?