What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

I know this isn't Derren Brown related but Thorpe has removed Loggers Leap from their website as well as saying on twitter that it will be closed for and only the 2016 season.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/664774895398748160[/tweet]

EthC said:
I know this isn't Derren Brown related but Thorpe has removed Loggers Leap from their website as well as saying on twitter that it will be closed for and only the 2016 season.
https://www.twitter.com/THORPEPARK/stat ... 5398748160

Saw this. Wonder what work is to be done, sounds hefty if it's for that long.

Unless they're gauging how the park will do without it.
(Sorry now I've started the inevitable removal rumours.)
I doubt that though as it's a solid part of the line up and a good crowd absorber.

Both Loggers and The Flume must be close to the stage where they are more expensive to maintain than their value to the company. Wonder how long either of them will be around?

Both Loggers and The Flume must be close to the stage where they are more expensive to maintain than their value to the company. Wonder how long either of them will be around?

Log flumes are sort of an iconic ride for the UK market though, so I'd expect them both to be around for quite some time, although be it them having a lot of work done to them.

True, that being said, they were spending a fortune on the maintenance of Valhalla at the time and had a new coaster that was clearly going to get them much larger audience numbers, hence them razing it.

"Closed for and only for the 2016 season"... ?

Forgetting the fact that Loggers is one of the parks' few rides that families can enjoy and didn't they spend money getting boats edited a few years back so kids could still ride after the height restriction change OUTRAGE?

But, isn't it SO weird to specify it'll be down for only 2016? Like, surely they realise everyone's gonna assume that's maintainance or improvements related? But I bet it's bloody not.

It's got to be a budget thing. But why Loggers??? Do flumes cost a lot to run? I can understand only running it, and more so Tidal Wave, between June-Sept, but why the hell would you choose to have that closed all year? Mind boggling.

I wonder how long it'll be before more UK parks follow the US pattern of only weekend operation unless through school holidays. Legoland do it, sort of. The 4pm weekday closes at Chessington this year were a bit like.... really? Why even bother? I've always wondered why parks don't trial afternoon operations when its quiet instead, say 12-6. Surely you could advertise that and up annual pass sales, do meal or snack deals for annual pass holders, etc. A lot of US parts do 3-10pm operation for Christmas events because LIGHTS, but Chessington's is what, 10-3? Wot.

That MTDP is the 2004 one. A more recent one was submitted on 2010 and showed no plans to infill that area.

For reference, only infills A, B, C, E and F occurred in that picture. :)

As for Loggers, I have heard loads of rumours flying about - some suggesting it is purely a budget thing, others suggesting that it has gone for good and will be left SBNO until it's replaced.

Will be interesting to see what they actually do with. Given that they really should sort out that station building, tunnel, a water cleaning system, etc, I wonder if it would just be better to rip it down and start again?

I've heard it's getting official maintenance along with The Flume. It's getting a new molded trough, a new operating system and a slight retheme to a western sort of ride.

Good to hear it's getting official maintenance. Parks maintaining their rides unofficially has got to stop!

spicy said:
My immediate thought was that maybe they are planning on filling in the loggers lake next year and a new coaster/ride for 2017?

I know that was one of the sites stated for land filling on the original MTDP..

http://www.crsbly.com/features/tpg/features/mtdp04/photos/infill.jpg

There won't be a new coaster for 2017, as 2016 is the year for Thorpe's major investment. 2017 will be Alton's year.

Not anymore, I doubt it - you can put that back a year or two.

https://mindswanted.co.uk/bellows

This unlocks new concept artwork of the outside and inside of the ride!! Looks exciting!

If you cant access it here is the pics :p

12305448_10205572639859740_781868471_n.jpg

12285668_10205572640139747_2034390847_n.jpg

I know its a screen shot but its better then nothing lol

In a weird way, the dilapidated industrial vandalised theme makes me excited. It seems slightly more original than other Merlin concept art and well.....it just seems interesting.

Also, I've read on a couple of other sites that one of the pictures is from the Blade Runner game.....

With all the run-down/dilapidated themes they keep using on their new rides - and the general lack of up-keep in the park - Thorpe is going to look like one of those abandoned amusement parks in a few years.

Dilapidated warehouse, yawn.

Looks like it's going to be converted to flats at any point.

If you can't even be arsed to do something original within your own park let alone the industry I don't hold out much hope.