What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Darren B

Giga Poster
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

The tallest in the world is currently Colossos at Heide Park at 196ft.

The tallest drop on a wooden coaster is Goliath at SFGAm at 179ft, Colossos' is 160ft.

I don't see them going for height records with a woodie though. If they do go for wood I'd expect them to go with RMC or Gravity Group. GCI, sadly, are a bit 'Who?' At the moment. They're well behind the previous mention 2 in terms of coasters under construction and I don't see them regaining their popularity anytime soon. The Intamin prefab is a massive 'WHO?' I'd be shocked if we ever saw one being built again.

Again though, I'm still hoping for a B&M hyper. Thorpe are the only realistic park in the UK than can afford one, have the space and can obtain permission to build such a coaster. I'd love a woodie too, but there are plenty of other UK parks that can install one.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

/\ Good point. As I mentioned before, it's time the UK built taller than Pmbo and it's kind of embarrassing that we haven't whilst mainland Europe and USA have an abundance of 200ft+ coasters. AT could get something like B dash and Drayton could sell the universally hated G force and get something like Roar o saurus.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Idk whilst height is impressive, it's not a swaying factor for me in terms of what I'd be looking for. Obviously with a hyper you'd expect it to be there or there abouts (and it'd be good to see a ride of PMBO's size actually show the general public what rides of that type are meant to do with airtime hills etc...) but I'd rather the emphasis was on the layout and distance than height.

Though that said, this is Merlin, so there will have to be a unique aspect to it somewhere for them to consider it.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Drayton could sell the universally hated G force and get something like Roar o saurus.

Yeah, because that would go down really well..... :roll:

For this coaster, though.....B&M hyper. LOCKED IN. :wink:

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
Drayton could sell the universally hated G force and get something like Roar o saurus.

It probably would. No one likes G Force and no one would miss it if it was sold to help save up for a good woodie. G Force is a painful ride with dreadful capacity and it is near the bottom of Mitch Hawker steel.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Self promotion I know, but earlier this year I made what I could imagine a 164ft B&M Mega Coaster looking like at Thorpe Park. It goes along the back of the park and down the CCR on the way back (for a bit). It doesn't use the island but oh well...

s4oF8Xv.jpg

nY4Rxxi.jpg

It does show what it could look like though!

Martyn B

CF Legend

It's great that we're discussing either a woody or a hyper :)

Personally, I'd rather a hyper. Let's face it, a woody in the UK would be hyped to the high heavens, and would therefore end up being a major disappointment.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

cjbrandy said:
elephant58 said:

It probably would. No one likes G Force and no one would miss it if it was sold to help save up for a good woodie. G Force is a painful ride with dreadful capacity and it is near the bottom of Mitch Hawker steel.

Think about it in the eyes of the British general public, though. Drayton, a park which already has several decent family coasters/rides, has 2 thrill coasters, one of which being G-Force. The GP like G-Force, because; it goes upside-down, it looks intimidating (to some, anyway), it has a noticeably unusual method of propulsion, it's a big, tangly mess of steel. But, imagine if people turned up to see a little, 'kiddie' wooden coaster put there? 1) it's wooden (seen as 'unsafe', apparently) 2) it isn't an adult coaster as such 3) it has no inversions 4) what used to be there DID go upside down and WAS a thrill coaster 5) they have a lot for families already.

A lot of enthusiasts would indeed want to see a mediocre Maurer-Sohne replaced by a GCI/Gravity Group woodie, but would your average thrillseeker want to see G-Force gone and the woodie there? Probably not. :)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

I'm hoping for a B&M hyper as I think that it would fit the park well. As nice a wooden coaster would be I personally prefer the idea of a hyper.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

/\/\ Ok you make some good points and selling G force would be pointless because not much would fit in its place. Anyway the rumours say that Drayton's next coaster will be a mine train to replace the dated Buffalo Coaster.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Yeah but Draytons a **** can we carry on frothing over the possibilities at Thorpe? :D

Seriously though, I'd expect there to be plans, somewhere, that someone will find in the near future if they're starting landscaping?

tomahawk

Strata Poster

RMC. Every park needs an RMC. They can try and market it as steel (if Iron Horse and using lift similar to Goliath) but it wouldn't fit in without being white, black, or faded black/white.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

B&M hyper please I would like it to interact with inferno stealth and go up to Canada Creek into the old Miss Hippos Fungle Safari through parts of rumba and back into the station we could be onto a winner. But noticing it will we get anything taller than 205ft because I thought the next coaster was going to be 50 meters.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

You do realise that I will EXPLODE if Thorpe got a RMC. RMC have proved themselves as big players. Thorpe, well Merlin, would be silly not to take advantage whilst they are still fairly cheap and not considered a luxury brand like B&M.

But yes, planning permission plans will be submitted before we can really explode with excitement or wither with disappointment.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

Most inversions on a wooden coaster if it was made by RMC. I know ages ago Merlin would not touch wood are they now going to do it. I think it's going to be a B&M hyper they are screaming out for pure airtime. I also seem to remember there were building site noises in certain parts of the parks.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Actually, I personally think it's gonna be Beastie, relocated. Thorpe need more family coasters. :wink:

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

^ Is Beastie gone? :shock: I thought it was still in storage. That was my first ever coaster, it better not be scrapped :)

jj23w

Hyper Poster

You have got to be kidding me even though they are changing the target audience sort of. I'd rather they keep to thrill seekers for rollercoasters. Please it's an old ride keep it in storage we want a new coaster.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^^I'm assuming it's gone properly, because RCDB had it listed as SBNO for ages, but about half a year ago, it was moved to the defunct/removed list. :?

jj23w said:
You have got to be kidding me even though they are changing the target audience sort of. I'd rather they keep to thrill seekers for rollercoasters. Please it's an old ride keep it in storage we want a new coaster.

I wasn't being serious. :)