What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that video made it look slightly better. The outdoor section will be okay, the backwards section will be fun, and the drops, though I thought from the first video that they were teensy bounces, look fun.

So, I feel bad for being so quick to insult it. Not a top ten I doubt, but a decent coaster for being a family coaster.

Mike

Giga Poster
Just watched the Contest Winners ITV clip, and I spy one Mr Sawyer! XD
Notice how all of them are "normal people", and therefore are all enjoying the ride! :p

marc

CF Legend
Does anyone know if the age limit that was set at 16 is true or not?

Tbh it's not as bad as I first thought it's just not the ultimate coaster that Alton say it is. If it rides like the one in bakken it will be fun. Just need to put the family coaster head on.

I am sort of looking forward to seeing the effects though.

As someone else said the problem with Alton is it's a park of 1sts, they have a good line up but the coasters apart from nemesis are at the bottom end of their ride types and they needed something big. They had a chance to really build something great and missed that chance. 13 is what it is and something a family could enjoy only the advertising has hyped it up to be scary etc so 8 - 10 year olds might not want to ride, that's the problem most people seem to have the advertising.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
They had a chance to really build something great and missed that chance.

Not REALLY...

I mean Ug Land (Dark Forest) has the strictest planning restrictions, it's the closest part to Alton village. Rita's only 60ft and they complained they could see it in the trees, hence the green paint (which was added after! I'm not sure alton planned on doing it)

With corkscrew gone, they had a big area of land to work with, but no decent height limit, although this is smaller than corkscrew I'd doubt they would've let them build something any bigger, as the relations with the locals is no where near as strong as it was back then. This whole gimmicky drop is a way of making something substantial without upsetting the village.

spicy

Giga Poster
I have to say that video made the drop look 1million times better and made the coaster look alot better aswell.

That videos actually changed my opinion on this quite a bit and I look forward to riding it.

I just hope the effects are good as you can't see them at all on the vids.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Does the reporter on the GMTV clip remind anyone else of Erol on the first Ghosterforce antics video? Or am I going too far back here?

It looks like a reasonable ride though, bit of fun, nothing extreme but what did we expect on that plot of land. I can see a lot of comments knocking round in the public that they're dissapointed its not as scary as made out though. Unless there's stuff in the queue that's designed to scare you more... I don't know, i've not been paying attention.

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
I swear that they have basically given away the fact about the drop about 3 months ago. Look closely at the picture of the people on Th13teen, they are all staring up and it looks like they are rushing down anyway, so we need to look clo ser at the pictures next time another big coaster comes out, that has a "SURPISE" in it. :wink:

Brookes

Giga Poster
By the way the staff day (day for the staff to ride Th13teen) has been postponed until tomorrow so it could be having problems.

Nic

Strata Poster
Anyone else bored of Ollie never saying anything except "LOOK AT MY VIDEO!" and " I said that MONTHS ago! See, aren't I great!"

*yawns*

Martyn B

CF Legend
It did look cool with the lights on, which was good to see. I imagined that it would be left like a tin shed if it was ment to be pitch black.

That second drop does look crazy with how quick it just vanish's, reminds me of watching the final drop on ToT. At least that kind of confirms there will be ejector on this :p

Ultimately, this will be better than the Corkscrew, and we now have a nive new themed area, so surely its all good news?

Ben

CF Legend
Martyn B said:
Ultimately, this will be better than the Corkscrew, and we now have a nive new themed area, so surely its all good news?

"New"?

It's the love child of Gloomy Wood and Hex :wink:

Martyn B

CF Legend
Better than Ug Land though, yeah?

At least thought went into this ride, unlike The Flume, Rita and Spinball. This does remind me of the 'old' Alton.

Whats this being mentioned in another topic about it being trimmed?

costar

Mega Poster
Yep, it's just freefall. They're even calling it that aren't they, in their official press stuff?

Also, yes, it's trimmed. Get over it.

robbeal said:
Unless there's stuff in the queue that's designed to scare you more... I don't know, i've not been paying attention.

There is something in the queue, particularly just before you descend the stairs into the station. Has this not been mentioned elsewhere on the internet? I won't spoil it for you..

So, the CF homepage... do we have to have a link to that make-believe animation? It kind of implies we think it's the truth which could disappoint people and makes CF look kinda stoo-pid..! I'm just saying!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ It's been fixed. Ollie was sure to let me know.

Screamscape has posted a link to the false animation too, so everyone's been had!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Did anyone else notice the flash just as the car drops. Looks like that's where the on-ride photo camera will be! haha which is fantastic, I'm looking forward to some facial expressions.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I don't know why but this ride reminds me of a toilet. The train looks like a giant turd dropping out your arse into the hole below. The backwards bit is like the turd floating away in the sewer... It just needs a splashback effect and it will be complete.

I thought I'd just air that...lol

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^Your turd comes out sideways and is grey? You need to see a doctor... although you did win arsehole of the year, so maybe it does come out sideways.

^^ Well noticed. That's a great position for the camera! I'm now very much looking forward to riding this now, I'll be there April 24th!

Status
Not open for further replies.