What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Meh, I'm in the 'It's Okay' camp. It looks smooth, had a nice little S-hill, and if themed well looks like it could be okay...

If there's more than 2 hour queues for the ride on saturday though, I'll probably just whore oblivion instead.

nealbie

CF Legend
I'm sure it'll be good fun - this is just a case of enthusiasts seriously over analysing it again.

The way you all talk you'd think most of the members on here were expecting a new Nemesis - we knew all along that wouldn't be the case, so why slate it for not being so now? Silly and pedantic really (I'm surprised furie hasn't joined in :lol: ).

Yes Alton hyped it up, but we knew all along it was a family coaster and had accepted it - so why are you all deciding now to slate it for not being Nemmie/Oblivion, etc?

nealbie

CF Legend
I haven't seen the video :lol:

And you didn't slate it as far as I remember - I was however being careful not to read things I didn't want to haha

Dave

CF Legend
I like the look of it, despite everyone's negativity, the worlds first drop is quite nice, I can see why they may want people to sign a health form, as it could create problems as its a near sudden jerk.

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
Seems that people have been so quick to rush to their computerbox to e-scream "THAT LOOKS **** LIKE!" they might have overlooked a couple of things.

1. That "thrill engineer" (Brandon something? People don't seem to like him much...) was quoted in a newspaper article about this time last year saying he was working with a UK park to make a drop seem bigger than it really is. Surely for this ride.

2. People who were at the boot camp are starting to post internet reports stating that the train spends much longer in the building, and there are dark ride effects, sounds etc. that weren't turned on for the GMTV video (which is fairly obvious from careful observation of the video, the work lights appear to be turned on for one thing).

3. Even if all the effects to make it seem like an awesomely huge, crypt-smashing drop were turned on, the camera's facing backwards. You couldn't see it anyway!

I think this will be much better than that video (and people's hasty conclusions) suggest. And even if that video is 100% representative, looks fun to me anyway!

Martyn B

CF Legend
This is the main issue people have with the ride - it's not giving what Alton promised. It's supposed to be a "thrill ride to please the hardcore adrenaline addicts" or whatever it was Russel Barnes said. We knew it wasn't from the layout, so it needed the "psychological fear" aspect to be top notch. From this "sneak peak" it's not got it. The entire thing falls a mile short of what Alton promised the ride would give. So the ride for me looks like it always did, something a bit fun, not great, but alright - as Benin says, a kiddy coaster to replace a kiddy coaster. So that's what we saw, that's what we got, but it's not what Alton said. Ho hum, shouldn't be shocked really

That sums it up perfectly.

The ride is what I expected, it should be fun, however, the 'secret' is somewhat disapointing.

Way way too much 'psychoaster' and mental scares etc being blasted all over the place. I was really expecting lots of effects and scary stuff in the 'crypt'. Not just 2 quick drops.

Like I have mentioned before, parks can, and will over hype rides, and it will work, but for this, there's has been waaay too much hype about the psycholocial affects this ride will have on you.

First aiders on hand at the ride exit? :roll:

A

Anonymous

Martyn B said:
Way way too much 'psychoaster' and mental scares etc being blasted all over the place. I was really expecting lots of effects and scary stuff in the 'crypt'. Not just 2 quick drops.
Wait, you mean the effects that were not turned on for the GMTV video?

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
TarkaTrax said:
2. People who were at the boot camp are starting to post internet reports stating that the train spends much longer in the building, and there are dark ride effects, sounds etc. that weren't turned on for the GMTV video (which is fairly obvious from careful observation of the video, the work lights appear to be turned on for one thing).

I saw somebody suggesting on towers times that the drop could have different 'settings' and obviously the GMTV one would have been a quick one just to show the principle, another point for speculation and excitement! :roll:

I'm still looking forward to riding, infact I think it's made me even more intrigued :)

Where can we find bootcamp reviews?

Ben

CF Legend
Please, there's literally NOTHING they could put in there that lives up to the hype. I doubt it does actually stay in there longer than it does in the GMTV video, it probably just feels like it.

But, we'll all see and make up our minds starting Saturday, won't we?

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I think from now on I'm gonna stop reading reports, because A) it's going between "EFFEKTZ WERE ON!!1" and "no effects..." B) I wanna experience it with SOME mystery.

And you're right Ben, not everything should be believed.

Ollie

CF Legend
marc said:
I mean with regards to that video that was posted the other day.
That was meant to be an early April Fools Joke (hence the company name was EAF) :p But we didn't know GMTV were going to do this.

What I find funny was way back before construction began and I said I was told by someone working on it it was going to drop like that and that you'll be disappointed everyone was like "shut-up Ollie, stop lying" and "It's going to be amazing" etc. Who's laughing now? :p

Also another thing that makes me laugh is that Saw is MUCH better than this. The themeing in this is flat and rubbish. There's hardly anything inside the station apart from a bridge and air gates and there's bugger all in the indoor section.

I know this is a bit of a 'I told you so' post but I want to get it out of the way. I know some anal person will try and reply to this and find something to moan at.

The only things I can think of that can save this ride from being a massive flop is a good back-story, awesome soundtrack, and some pretty amazing special effects in the indoor sections of the ride. But something makes me doubt it won't have many (if any) or those things.

The outdoor section has always looked a bit pants. It's meant to simulate rushing through the forest, but it's hard to do that when the train goes as slow as it does and the nearest tree either side of the track is about 15-20 feet away. :lol:

At least this ride will help ease the queues off the other rides in the park which means less queuing times for Nemesis and Air etc.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ollie... Shut up...

I'm sure I'm not the only one getting annoyed by your 'I know this guy who told me this' crap...

YOU CANNOT JUDGE THIS ENTIRE RIDE FROM ONE SMALL VIDEO WHICH MAY NOT HAVE EVERYTHING THAT THE CURRENT RIDE HAS

Hence Ollie, you cannot say Saw is better... The exterior theming on this has so much more depth than that... You just seemed to have had a thing against Thirteen ever since people started to like it, and now you're dancing up and down with people being (rather advancely) disappointed by a video...

And that video was meant to be an early April Fools? Are you serious? Jesus christ what a crap sense of humour... :roll:

Brookes

Giga Poster
I actually think it looks great, as it is all what I expected it to be. Personally the fun outdoor section, cool little drop inside the building and backwards helix look pretty good. Can't wait to ride it before Stoke on Saturday!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Enigma Shadow said:
A bootcamper on TT wrote:
Just got back from Alton Towers after winning Bootcamp! TH13TEEN was amazing, 9 times on it! I don't know what people ar thinking from GMTV but don't judge until you have been on it. Its great!

So stop slating it. Apparently on the effects were on and the train stayed inside for longer, unlike on GMTV.

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... &start=255

Yes, but somebody who has spent the day at Alton Towers as an exclusive VIP guest with all the trimmings is going to say that!

Aside from the drop, what else is there to it?

I'll know on Saturday and I'll leave this topic open for everybody to keep repeating themselves time and time again :roll:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Wow Ollie... Well done, give yourself a cookie... You must be so proud...

Just let's think... Judging a ride on a POV? No... Just no... You cannot make a 100% accurate assessment on ANY ride in the world based on a fuzzy Youtube clip can you?

By today's judgements, Ultimate is crap, Maverick is crap, hell even Nemesis looks crap in it's POV...

This has caused a stupid amount of over-reaction today...

Status
Not open for further replies.