What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Adverts are never made for enthusiasts anyways, since the parks know that'll we'll go and annoy them come rain or shine... Especially for a shiny new coaster...

The GP who don't know any better will lap this up, and that's what the park wants...

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
What I don't get, now that I've finally got it into my head that parks do not have to build the biggest coasters for GP, why they even bother at all?

I mean, of course there'll be competition for advertising the most superlative ride, and thrill seekers won't be satisfied if they visit a baby park, but once you get to the point where you can give people a tiny bit of butterflies in their stomach, why not just stop there?

Thirteen is the ride that made me think of this. It is a kiddy ride, but since Alton can advertise it as scary, they can get away with not investing in anything bigger.

So why the hell do we see any of these awesome mega-coasters (using the term generally) at all?

The only reasons I can think of are competition, parks not learning the tricks of how to make a crap coaster sound good, or just park owners actually having an enthusiasts streak.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Alton are so restricted with what they can build, even more-so now-a-days! I'm not even sure they could've built Nemesis if it was built today, after the noise court cases and refusal of a new by-pass the locals arn't happen with the park's growth.

I don't know if anyone remembers but, they almost had trouble building this ride! A ride smaller than corkscrew with only a few turns. They're so restricted that they've had to look for new areas to make rides appeal to an older audience. And this whole psycological horror scary stuff does that, without causing any reason for the locals to complain!

So why the hell do we see any of these awesome mega-coasters (using the term generally) at all?

Because they are awesome mega-coasters, and they do draw in crowds! And when it comes down to it, Alton would love one! But they simply just can't build big rides and have to resort to other things and this kinda marketing to get people through the gates. It's a clever move.

It's so easy for unrestricted parks to build a big ride that's impressive in size and mechanically stunning to draw in the crowds. Alton have to work harder, but that's why we love the place, right?

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Yeah I guess. I hope the coaster is as good as it was in my dream! It sort of swooped above the crowd like some phantom ghost- the train glowed slightly, and it was sort of like a 4D coaster, but more 'alive'! And it went through scary well themed tunnels. Oh man. That was an awesome good dream.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
TJH said:
What do you thick the chances are that Th13teen has a backstory to it?. I really want one

I would say the chances are very good indeed. The story will be what they're hanging the psychological horror on.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Forgive me if this has already been suggested, but does anyone think the vertical element wont just drop the train once, but could go up and down multiple times like the ride cycle on Disney's TOT? If it did that (And had appropriate visual effects) then that alone could make the ride.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Yes thats what I've been saying. I cant imagine it just being one drop.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but take the Big One as an exampe, everyone in the whole freakin Country know's of the Big One, yet Alton's rides aren't singled out that often, its more just 'Alton Towers' that everyone knows.

Hope that makes some sort of sense :|

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
^ Yeah, but what about parks where the main attraction is cheaper than the other attractions?

For example, the impression I get from Cedar Point is that their staple 'trademark' ride is TTD. Now, millennium force isn't the best example of a good airtime machine out there, but it must have cost a lot. Obviously a park can't have just one big ride, guests want a variety of experiences, but after they'd advertised their park with TTD, they could just have made all their other rides fairly cheap rides.

The reason is that the general public won't really mind about what the other rides are, as long as they all look slightly different and give slightly different experiences, so why bother giving them anything more than the minimum just to rope them in?

Especially since the GP seem to like 'loop the loop's more than air time.

Novas

Mega Poster
UNCONFIRMED:

AT fansites are reporting that the Boot Camp has been rescheduled for next monday (15th,) and that we are back on track for a 20th March opening.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere on the forum but OMG...

24674_404014831200_21765316200_5352477_627931_n.jpg

... what ya think?

Its not a big as I was expecting. I thought it would dominate/overpower that gap. I actually think it looks great!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah they look huge to me. And they're a lot lower than I thought they would be.

Looks really good, its such a neat little touch.

TJH

Roller Poster
You're not going to believe this :crazy:

Theme park bosses at the Alton Towers Resort are so concerned that guests may be affected by new rollercoaster TH13TEEN, that they are introducing a special optional ticket which includes health insurance, ahead of the launch on 20th March. For an extra £1, guests will be covered for physical and psychological trauma and have access to a medical expert who is being stationed at the ride site. The move comes after the Resort revealed TH13TEEN would combine the ultimate elements of physical as well as psychological fear in one – in what experts are calling the world’s first ‘psychoaster’.

Dr Amar Ahmed from Wilmslow, Cheshire, one of the team of doctors who is working with Alton Towers Resort on TH13TEEN said, “Rollercoasters are known for producing extreme physical effects which is why we like riding them. "TH13TEEN is a new kind of coaster that combines the ultimate elements of physical and psychological fear. "This has never been done before and this is the world's first "psychoaster." Some riders may be unprepared. I am told the ride has passed numerous safety tests and that no real medical emergencies are anticipated but Alton Towers Resort is taking every extra precaution to ensure guests will be safe, and are providing access to a fully qualified medical team."

Morwenna Angove, Sales and Marketing Director at the Alton Towers Resort said, “Now that the ride is built and we’ve seen it work in testing, we are concerned about the effect it may have on riders – even those who believe themselves to be psychologically stable. "The public will be required to ride at their own risk, but we are planning an optional ticket which includes health insurance and access to a doctor so we and our guests are covered in case they are distressed by their experience.”

A £15 million ride, TH13TEEN is being billed as the ultimate rollercoaster – every theme park ride you’ve ever dreamed of in one. Located on an unearthed ancient burial site, riders will be taken on a gruelling journey through the Dark Forest, where they will have to try and escape the all-consuming power of the unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.