What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been today and there is more track. There is that what Blaze mentioned coming up from the helix, and there is also a bit of the drop out the station, and some track really high up which was a turn which wasn't banked then the start of a drop with like square supports, with that one coming out of the helix between the supports below. There is a piece of track just resting on the brake run which has kicker wheels and goes up then down. So yeah, that's what I could see today.

Also saw loads of RCCGB people there and my cousin was talking to one of them on last train of the day of Rita.

Thats interesting. The high turn will be the entrance to the mystery section, and if the drop is under the supports, that should mean it is inside the building and threfore backwards, not the station return.

Blaze said:
The only thing is, the train wouldn't have the momentum to get over it without a launch if that was the case.

Get over what? It could exit the builing quite low, as the result of a 'trap door' style drop?

One other thing, if that picture of the track on the other page is that of the return to the station, then the switchback to the foward position must be high off the ground? Ish.

I dont like these stop start coasters, the momentum is lost with it, though the first switch is most proberly going to have something going on, making it interesting, but the second one looks like it just be dull and 'momentum-killing'.

The high turn will be the entrance to the mystery section, and if the drop is under the supports, that should mean it is inside the building and threfore backwards, not the station return.

But its like 5ft off the ground? Unless a 'trap door' style drop attatches to it?

It can't, it's clear to see how low it is going to go, and the helix has little banking, so it will be quite slow, the switch won't kill the momentum, and even if it does,it is effectively the first brake run, as it's only statio return after it. The swicth would need a lauch to get it over that track if it was low. The track there has to be going into the trench and helix.

EDIT: In fact you can see the trench start to turn behind the track, so that prooves it is going into the helix.

Ok, basically, I'm getting confused. That drop picured on the other page has to be the return to the station, unless there is a trap door style drop that attatches to it. It is only about 5ft off the ground?

Yes, that is what I have been saying for a long time and what I think the track confirms.

You go in at the top, the track drops like a tower ride, and you roll backwards and into the trench, go through a helix backwards and then ath the end, stop and roll forwards to the station.

:(

I have been looking forward too seeing what this ride will turn out like , but now i am dissapointed that it is only a family coaster.
To be fair though Alton towers have got 4 very good coasters already and do probably need something for the younger market.

A family coaster appeals to everyone, not just kids, thats why they are called "family", not "child" coasters.

Does not mean it can't be great.

Last time I checked they only had 3 very good coasters. Didn't know they had built anything since July?

Or do you just mean that piece of scrap called Rita?

fxdxci.jpg

Might help with the confusion. Ignore the question marks.

Blaze said:
Yes, that is what I have been saying for a long time and what I think the track confirms.

You go in at the top, the track drops like a tower ride, and you roll backwards and into the trench, go through a helix backwards and then ath the end, stop and roll forwards to the station.

Basically this with the track dropping or tilting something like shown in this picture from imagineer john on towerstimes at the top of the page: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... &start=150

Where there is a tilt that is either going to be a tilt or track drop or something like that, then the rest will be the same.

Drop, that track piece tilt down, a tilt would already be going down.

The plans show a straight return.

Can just make it out in bottom half of this image of one of the plans:
12_090114_plan_profile_10_ef.jpg

Blaze said:
A family coaster appeals to everyone, not just kids, thats why they are called "family", not "child" coasters.

Does not mean it can't be great.
Many family coasters are world class! Big Thunder Mountain :)

I'm looking forward to this, it's more "mysterious" than when we had the construction for Saw: The Ride, and being a family coaster I'm not hyping it that much at all, which is a good thing in all fairness! Hype is one thing that can really destroy an enthusiasts experience, so I want a surprise! :p

I love it when I think a coaster is going to be awful then it shocks me by giving a decent ride (e.g. Colossus). But I know this will be far from awful anyway, it will be good but there again far from ground-breaking.

I can't wait; it's going to be a great adition to Alton!

That diagram John made on TT isn't very accurate, it shows a curving 's' bend drop into this trench, when what I can see on the real pics is a straight drop?

It isn't very accurate but there is an s-bend. It will be after the straight drop, or maybe before it. Probably after.

Looking at todays pictures on TT, you are exactly right, that drop does curve. Further proof it is right after the drop/tilt section and before the helix.

Going backwards over it shall be fun!

The trains might be backwards, but will the seats be backwards at that point?! Just an idea that poped into my head...

I like the way it drops down, because that way the light won't come in, killing any visual effects, unlike on saws roll for example, where you cant see them due to the light coming in.

Have you been looking at that patent page I put up a page or two back? That was mentioned on it, but I doubt it will happen, no point having switchbacks if you still go forwards, and the plans say you will be going backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.