What's new

Theme parks where the best ride is not a coaster

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Obviously for us coaster crazy people the main thing about a theme park that would usually make us want to go would be coasters but, what theme parks have you been to where the best ride is not a coaster. 2 that come to my mind straight away would be Islands of Adventure with Ripsaw Falls and Blackpool Pleasure Beach with Valhalla.

Ben

CF Legend
A lot of the Disney parks spring to mind, like Hollywood Studios (Tower of Terror), Disneyland California (Indiana Jones), Magic Kingdom (Splash Mountain), Paris Studios (Tower of Terror), Animal Kingdom (Dinosaur <3<3<3)...

They're a bit obvious though...

marc

CF Legend
Ioa, the Harry Potter ride or Spider Man is better than their coasters now.

Tivoli gardens, vertigo :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Drayton Manor! Maelstrom and Apocalypse and miles ahead of the Shockwave and G-force (although I do like G-Force).

djR3Z

Roller Poster
Agreed with Ben and marc. Harry Potter at IoA is always a fave for me and Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom has got to be one of my all time favorites.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Transformers for Universal Hollywood. The Mummy was balls.

Radiator Springs Racers for DCA or Tower of Terror. California Screamin' was great fun though when the music finally works.

STC

Mega Poster
Drayton is the obvious in the UK.

I'd say Mystery Castle just pips Black Mamba at Phantasialand for me.

Fata Morgana at Efteling, and a lot of people really love Dreamflight.

Ben

CF Legend
caffeine_demon said:
I prefered the log flume at Port aventura to dragon khan

tumblr_luq1vkak101qe970bo6_r1_250.gif

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Any Disney Park. They don't have many thrilling coasters to begin with other than Rock'n'Roll Roller Coaster or possibly Expedition Everest.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Loads of the Japanese parks I went to had really random dark rides which were way better than the coasters. More people need the Magical Powder ride in their life.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
caffeine_demon said:
I prefered the log flume at Port aventura to dragon khan - but might change that when I ride in the non big boy seats!

Agreed. Silver River Flume is the best ride Port Aventura but, I have not ridden Shambhala

Colossus

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
Drayton Manor! Maelstrom and Apocalypse and miles ahead of the Shockwave and G-force.

I agree 100% with this, I don`t mind Shockwave on a good day, but Maelstrom, Apocalypse, even Pandemonium and SF10 are better in my eyes.

I know there are some excellent coasters there, and this is purely my own opinion, but whenever I go to Blackpool I look forward to Valhalla way more then anything else.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
IoA is close for me, but I think the Hulk just edges out the Harry Potter & Spiderman rides.

Guess this isn't really in the spirit of the OP, but the space shot/turbo drop combo tower on the Seaside Heights boardwalk in New Jersey was way better than any of the coaster credits I picked up there. And the go-karts at Family Kingdom in Myrtle Beach were more fun & enjoyable than Swamp Fox (maybe faster too) :p

bmac

Giga Poster
madhjsp said:
IoA is close for me, but I think the Hulk just edges out the Harry Potter & Spiderman rides.

Guess this isn't really in the spirit of the OP, but the space shot/turbo drop combo tower on the Seaside Heights boardwalk in New Jersey was way better than any of the coaster credits I picked up there. And the go-karts at Family Kingdom in Myrtle Beach were more fun & enjoyable than Swamp Fox (maybe faster too) :p

I used to work on those rides with my dad, their wild mouse and looping Pinfari are a hell of a lot of fun compared to what is over on the neighbor pier. They also added a mini-frisbee from Coney Island and a Top Spin fresh from Germany last year, the former is SOOO MUCH FUN!!!

Snoo

The Legend
If it weren't for Ravine Flyer II.. the drop tower at Waldameer would be heads and shoulders above the rest of the park.