What's new

Theme It! - An RCT3 Competition

reddude333

Giga Poster
ThemeItContest_zps4e9f78c9.png

It's about time for another competition. I thought it would be interesting to create an entirely new type of competition based around theming a coaster. To judge the theming most effectively, I felt you should all work from the same template. That being said, I have provided you with a coaster layout. The stipulations are as follows:

• No changes can be made to the layout or operational settings of the coaster (chain lift speed, car length, brakes, etc.)
• Changing the color scheme of both the track and trains is allowed and encouraged
• Terraforming is allowed
All scenery sets are allowed (none are required)
• No other rides or coasters may be built in order to enhance your entry (that said, you may use track as "scenery" by PM request)
• A POV/Video is highly encouraged

The points breakdown is as follows:

My Score: 50 points
Rider's Choice: 50 points

I realize this is putting a lot of the control over who wins in my hands, but I think you should all know me well enough to know that I will be completely subjective and judge based only on merit. Even so, you guys should know a little about what I like to see so strive for that if you think it will help you.

Here is a link to the track file download page:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tlsxxmlw8dl274m

I have also provided a link to the CTR download page:

http://www.diarugacoasters-inc.com/custom-track-rides*

I apologize to those of you who don't particularly enjoy CTRs but I think I have made everything completely accessible to you all. If you have any questions, I am more than willing to answer and help anyone who is having technical issues.

*I believe this is the correct link but if not someone please let me know ASAP. Also, only use this CTR if you have both expansion packs for RCT3. If you do not, the extended coaster track will not work.

Good luck and have fun!

-Derek

Due date: July 1st

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
At risk of sounding stupid, do we build the queue line/exit? And if so, is it a real queue line (for example long/windy/cattlepen) or an RCT3 one thats quite short? Thanks

scw55

Hyper Poster
(Do we need to custom support it as well? If we are allowed to not use custom supports, some scenery tiles will mask the default supports)

I might give it a try. The emphasis on PoV videos would be a great challenge for me. Looking at the layout it looks like it'll take about an hour and a half to record.

reddude333

Giga Poster
The Grape Wizard said:
At risk of sounding stupid, do we build the queue line/exit? And if so, is it a real queue line (for example long/windy/cattlepen) or an RCT3 one thats quite short? Thanks
That's not a stupid question so don't worry about it. You may interpret the challenge however you like. Maybe you like a themed queue, maybe you want to make a realistic cattlepen. Long or short, open or enclosed, it's totally up to you. I left the station and queue open-ended so you can show me your creativity.

scw55 said:
(Do we need to custom support it as well? If we are allowed to not use custom supports, some scenery tiles will mask the default supports)

I might give it a try. The emphasis on PoV videos would be a great challenge for me. Looking at the layout it looks like it'll take about an hour and a half to record.
I am slightly confused about what you are asking regarding the CS supports. There is no requirement to use CS supports but if you do, you can either get a support killer or just turn off supports in settings. Either is acceptable and the latter will result in no blocked off tile spaces.

Regarding the video submissions, like I said, neither a POV nor a video is required, only suggested. However, if you decide not to record anything, please post enough pictures so that we can see most of what you have done with the scenery. I would prefer an entry with no video to no entry at all.

JammyBand

Roller Poster
Im not great with storylines and such but I am really intrigued to see what people come up with, and what I come up with! It's a long layout, and nothing comes to mind at the moment for what I should theme it to. But, I can't wait for this.

Also, can you just clarify how to set up the track layout onto the game? (Which file location)

reddude333

Giga Poster
The .trk file should go in Computer>(C:)>Users>Your Username>Documents>RCT3>Coasters

For example, here is where mine is located in Windows Explorer:

C:\Users\Derek\Documents\RCT3\Coasters

P.S.: There is no requirement to have a story per se. If you would like to go with realistic theming you may...just keep in mind who is judging you ;-)

scw55

Hyper Poster
During routine maintenance at <Theme Park>, nothing out of the ordinary happened. And then a perfectly generic themed Roller Coaster was built. Its name; Invertigo.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Very nice idea for a competition.

I already have the CTR so I have downloaded the .trk file and had a little look at it, its a very interesting layout, with tight areas that could be challenging to theme.

Just need to agree to a theme and I shall begin construction.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Colossus said:
Very nice idea for a competition.

I already have the CTR so I have downloaded the .trk file and had a little look at it, its a very interesting layout, with tight areas that could be challenging to theme.

Just need to agree to a theme and I shall begin construction.
Yes, there are definitely a couple spots that will test your creativity but I think they may yield some of the most interesting results. Can't wait to see what you have in store!

The Grape Wizard said:
I'm having trouble downloading the track, my computer doesn't recognise the file type, I've only downloaded RAR and ZIPs before.
Yes, so the file type is a ".trk" file (or a track file). It is important to put the file in the correct folder located in "Computer>(C:)>Users>Your Username>Documents>RCT3>Coasters" as I said before. As long as you copy the file into that "Coasters" folder, you should be able to open it in-game as a pre-made track for the sit-down B&M CTR.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I downloaded the CTR and extracted it to the right folder.
I downloaded the track design and extracted it to the right folder.

However my computer thinks there are no pre-saved layouts for the CTR.
-
I think the problem might be because the CTR is different from the coaster type of the layout.

CTR - "CTR_B&M_Extended_Coaster"
Trk. - "[CTR_TwisterSitdown]Template Coaster.trk"

I'll locate the "CTR_TwisterSitdown" and see if that resolves the issue.
-
I found the problem. You've accidentally linked the wrong CTR download.
I downloaded pack #2 and it contained the right CTR :D

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
What a brilliant idea!
I'm sure to enter this one as it's feasible for me, especially as there is no need to fine tune the coaster itself.

I expect to start on this *hopefully this or next week*, unless I encounter any CTR problems since this will be my first CTR. I now possess CS, so I should be able to compete properly this time :--D

Just one question - Must we place the ride on flat ground or can we use the shift key? :wink:

Thanks Derek.

reddude333

Giga Poster
scw55 said:
http://www.diarugacoasters-inc.com/custom-track-rides

I have started work on my entry.
*Fixed* Thanks scw55!

CoasterCrazy said:
Just one question - Must we place the ride on flat ground or can we use the shift key? :wink:
As terraforming is allowed, changing the initial height of the coaster is essentially the same thing so yes, you may place the coaster at a different height.

[Update - Due date has been set to July 1st]

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I was planning on entering this but RCT3 has stopped working. It's been working for months but suddenly it now lasts anywhere between 30 secs and 5 minutes and closes down