What's new

The park with the most "worlds firsts"

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is an extension of Coastergeek14's topic.

Which park has the most worlds first?

Initially I thought Alton because it has the the worlds first B&M dive machine, B&M flyer and Intamin drop coaster (does it have a proper name?). That's three.

Then I remembered Europa Park, that I'm assuming has a lot of the first ever Mack rides but I don't know enough about the park to know for sure.

So yeah, anybody know the answer?

jayjay

Giga Poster
I don't know, but this topic did remind me of the quite interesting fact that Cedar Point have held the "world's tallest (and possibly fastest) roller coaster" record with 4 different roller coasters: Gemini, Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster were all the tallest when they opened.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
mouse said:
Ian said:
...and Intamin drop coaster (does it have a proper name?).
Psycoaster.
And you call yourself Ian from Coasterforce. :wink:
Nah, everybody else calls me that. "Ian From CoasterForce" is when I'm doing CoasterForce stuff such as addressing the group, talking to park management etc., otherwsie I'm plain, boring Ian.

Jayjay's answer sort of goes off on a tangent but raises a good point. However, for the purpose of this topic, I'm more interested in ride types than records.

Ben

CF Legend
I think Europa have had four. Blue Fire, the Spinner, Pegasus and the Bobsled.

But, is Pegasus really a World's first...? Or the Bobsled, Intamin had their versions...

I'd still give it to Alton over Europa but God knows.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Ian said:
Jayjay's answer sort of goes off on a tangent but raises a good point. However, for the purpose of this topic, I'm more interested in ride types than records.

World first...... Hyper, Giga, Strata, Terra/Blitz. Are they not classed as 'ride types' or am a little off the point?

mouse

Giga Poster
Ian said:
mouse said:
Ian said:
Psycoaster.
Nah, everybody else calls me that. "Ian From CoasterForce" is when I'm doing CoasterForce stuff such as addressing the group, talking to park management etc., otherwsie I'm plain, boring Ian. .
Let me edit that then...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Kings Island has a good chunk of world firsts:

1. World's first forward and backward looping roller coaster (or Shuttle coaster)

2. World's first legititimate stand up coaster.

3. World's first giant Huss topspin.

4. World's first 200 ft. wooden coaster / vertical loop.

5. World's first kiddie Vekoma Suspended Coaster.

6. World's first mat racer water slide.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: The park with the most "worlds firsts"

Lotte World has a few Intamin prototypes:

Ballistic power tower
Gyro drop
Gyro swing
Aquatrax

It's also the only park I know of to have a completely indoor rapids. I might be wrong on that, but personally haven't heard of another one

kimahri

CF Legend
Ian said:
mouse said:
Ian said:
Psycoaster.
Nah, everybody else calls me that. "Ian From CoasterForce" is when I'm doing CoasterForce stuff such as addressing the group, talking to park management etc., otherwsie I'm plain, boring Ian.

You're always Ian from Coasterforce in my eyes bbz. Mainly because there's an Ian in the family and we know a bunch of other ones but ngh.

Where exaclt do you draw the line of "world firsts"? Just coasters or you taking what other hyde said and include flats and waterslides.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
First thing I thought of was Cedar point, wasn't Gemini the first coaster above a certain height, then magnum, then MF, then Dragster?

reddude333

Giga Poster
^ Yeah, my first thought was CP but it depends on what we are classifying as "world's firsts".

I'll list some according to Wikipedia (I know not the best source)

•first coaster to span a midway and have 3 inversions (Corkscrew)
•first coaster 200+ ft. (Magnum XL-200)
•first giga coaster (Millennium Force)
•first second-generation Intamin impulse coaster (Wicked Twister)
•first strata coaster (TTD)
•first Intamin coaster (Jr. Gemini)
•first 92° drop (Maverick)
•first ride to top 300ft. (Space Spiral)
•first of its kind flat ride (Chaos)

Some of these are quite a stretch but you get the idea.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, I suppose "world's first" is a rather loose term with a whole range of variables.

I was more interested in ride types...but again, that's pretty loose. I suppose it's a variation of "which park is the most experimental with their rides."

Sam

Giga Poster
Hollycombe Steam Collection in Liphook, Hampshire has a **** **** load of rides powered by steam.

Sam

Giga Poster
HOWEVER.

Liabilty.JPG

So you'd better watch out.