What's new

The day Cedar Fair goes RMC...

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Cedar Fair seems to be really buddy-buddy with B&M and all, having built only one massive attraction from them every year since 2012 and with Matt Ouimett making them phenomenal rides like Banshee and Fury 325, it's probably safe to say that they'll continue to do business with each other for years to come. But what if Cedar Fair got on the same train as Herschend and Six Flags and bought a series of RMC coasters for their chain? Which ones would they do? In which order would they do them? How would they market them and bring them to life? They seem to be on board with the idea of making gross rides good again, with Rougarou having saved Mantis and two similar treatments happening in California and the Carolinas, so they're open to the idea of their parks getting something good that isn't necessarily new.

I've hears Six Flags has a pretty little "list" (a cookie for those of you who got that reference) of coasters on deck to get the treatment, but I'm not sure how true it is. I would imagine Cedar Fair would do the same. While Mean Streak is an obvious choice, I feel like it wouldn't get to the top of the list because they'd want to see how it would work out before taking on such a massive coaster at the capital of their business. So my thoughts on a hypothetical list in order:

1. Ghostrider @ Knott's Berry Farm- Something people have wanted for a while in a park where they seemingly couldn't care less what gets plonked down so long as it brings in people. I got spited on it but from what I've heard, the coaster needs it and has lots of potential for a good conversion. They could maybe also do something renovative with the road leading to the park with it flying over it, think GateKeeper but driving under it. While I can understand them not wanting to bulldoze that gorgeous entrance, it does feel dated so something that makes the park look fresh and modern as a first impression would be kind of nice. This would be the perfect "trial RMC" to see how
2. Wild Beast @ Canada's Wonderland- This thing wasn't the worst wooden coaster I've ridden, but that's not to say it isn't guilty of being a disgusting ride. I could easily see them making this a smaller RMC and bringing us Canadian Wicked Cyclone. Putting this in one of their more popular parks could be a good way to see how Mean Streak might fare.
3. Timberwolf @ Worlds of Fun- I feel like having a (probably not very good) twisted Dinn in the same park as a highly rated GCI is pointless so while they watch Iron Wild Beast and make plans for Mean Streak, this would be a good, easy choice in a park that hasn't had anything new for a while.
4. Mean Streak @ Cedar Point- Finally, after years of watching RMC as enthusiasts whine, Cedar Point should get an RMC! While I personally don't think Mean Streak is bad enough to warrant the RMC treatment (though it is very boring and painful), it does have potential and I could see something amazing come out of this. I don't think NTG looks half as amazing as most of their other products but it was a prototype and they could easily do something different with this similar footprint.
5. Hurler at Carowinds; Kings Dominion- While I wish this was torn down instead of Thunder Road, these are still standing but seem to serve absolutely no purpose. If they convert one they could just do the same to the other and not have to mess with redesigning it, it would be something new for both parks (and KD needs something new). While the drawback for Carowinds is that it completely eliminates any fulll-sized wooden coaster from their lineup, KD has Grizzly close by so Hurler getting converted wouldn't hurt anything at all.

If they do this, I could see them executing them the same way they do the B&Ms. Minimal train theming, unusual rail colors, lighting packages (which would look awesome on wooden structures!), and general cleanups of the areas around them. I also feel like they would just rename and retheme them completely, like they did with Rougarou.

Thoughts? Could you see them doing this anytime soon?

Snoo

The Legend
Nope. Intamin has shocked them into thinking tried and true is always the answer, which is what youve seen mostly since the Dragster debacle. And even when they have jumped to something out of the box, Maverick and 305 happened. I do not think they'd ever make that 'mistake' again.

Of course, give 20 years, then maybe.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
GhostRider will get topper and a reprofiled mid course turnaround. If they ever do it would be something like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sythe

Mega Poster
I have to say, new Texas giant is an amazing ride, sure, it doesn't have inversions or anything, but the airtime is awesome. And I could really see an iron mean streak being just as good or even better. Although I think that kings dominion needs the rmc of hurler much more than mean streak needs it, hurler is brutal!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Maybe? Of course I'd love to see RMC treatment for all of these CCI/Dinn Corp cast-offs. But until the time there is anything realistic to go on - outside of "[insert park] staff touring around wooden coaster layout!" - I cannot get my hopes up as it is something yet to materialize. I firmly believe there is a major wooden coaster rework in the future for many Cedar Fair parks (new GCIs anyone?), but this is a prophecy I cannot assign a time table to.

Ben

CF Legend
Snoo said:
Nope. Intamin has shocked them into thinking tried and true is always the answer, which is what youve seen mostly since the Dragster debacle. And even when they have jumped to something out of the box, Maverick and 305 happened. I do not think they'd ever make that 'mistake' again.

Of course, give 20 years, then maybe.

Yeah that's why they built all the Windseekers.

And Wonder Mountain Guardian.

If anything they're the company pushing B&M furthest at the moment.

They might not be going near Intamin anymore but they haven't stopped with innovative rides.

RMC aren't a new company now, they're established greats with amazing reliability. If they want one they'll get one.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
If Cedar Fair ever gets into the RMC business, I would hope they do topper track conversions instead of full on IBox conversions.

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster
The Grizzly at California's Great America would be a much better ride if they were to give it the conversion, and it would also be a good test for RMC to see how they're coasters could work in a compact space.

njn63

Mega Poster
insanecoastervids said:
The Grizzly at California's Great America would be a much better ride if they were to give it the conversion, and it would also be a good test for RMC to see how they're coasters could work in a compact space.
Goliath at SFGAm is in a compact area?