What's new

The Best Album Of 2009

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Michael Jackson albums were great, shame about the ending...

Though it was a major disappointment on American idiot, 21st Century Breakdown is up there in my favourite albums of '09. Though I don't have them, though I have listened to all of them, Mumford & Sons and Lily Allen's albums are quite frankly superb, and I hope to get my copy soon. AS with Noah & The Whale's new one: very good.

Florence & the Machine also another good album.

Some great albums this year :D Would love to listen to all of the new Muse album, but just haven't found the time yet...

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^^
DjTommyB said:
I normally download the 2 or 3 songs I like instead of wasting my money on a whole album when I only want a couple of songs.
I know exactly what you mean. But sometimes there are some real gems on albums that are never released as singles, so sometimes you're missing out on some decent tune-age.

I've actually asked my mum to buy me Lady Gaga's The Fame for Christmas :lol: A lot of my friends who are into Metal cannot stand Lady Gaga and hate me for liking her, but hey, it's good to have variety!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
My personal favourite album of the year goes to Frank Turner - Love Ire & Song. This album didn't come out this year though.

My favourite album that was released this year was Enter Shikari - Common Dreads. I adored their first album, and now I can't listen to it without thinking it's crap because this album just owns it completely.

Other albums worth a mention:

Frank Turner - Poetry Of The Deed
Alexisonfire - Old Crows, Young Cardinals
August Burns Red - Contellations
Taking Back Sunday - New Again
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
Pendulum - Live At Brixton Academy
Emery - ...In Shallow Seas We Sail
Fightstar - Be Human
The Ghost Of A Thousand - New Hopes, New Demonstrations
Killswitch Engage - Killswitch Engage
Posion The Well - The Tropic Rot

There are also some other newer releases, but they'll be resembling this time I'm sure. These albums sum up the year for me. Personally I think it's been quite a good year for music!

Jools

Giga Poster
"GET A TASTE OF THESE BAD BOYS"

The one's I've bought this year.
Lady Gaga - The Fame/The Fame Monster
Agnes - Dance Love Pop
Pixie Lott - Turn It Up
Cascada - Evacuate The Dancefloor
Saturdays - Wordshaker
Chipmunk - I Am Chipmunk
Lily Allen - It's Not Me It's You
Taio Cruz - Rockstarr

All comments about my dodgy music taste will be appreciated :wink:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think I would have said Lady Gaga, but The Fame actually came out about 18 months ago. I suppose you could go with The Fame Monster though, as the extra disc is basically a second album and is BRILLIANT!

Some of my favourites from this year, in no particular order:

Mika: The Boy Who Knew Too Much
Florence and the Machine: Lungs
Little Boots: Hands
Sliimy: Paint Your Face
Tori Amos: Abnormally Attracted to Sin

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jools said:
"GET A TASTE OF THESE BAD BOYS"

The one's I've bought this year.
Lady Gaga - The Fame/The Fame Monster
Agnes - Dance Love Pop
Pixie Lott - Turn It Up
Cascada - Evacuate The Dancefloor
Saturdays - Wordshaker
Chipmunk - I Am Chipmunk
Lily Allen - It's Not Me It's You
Taio Cruz - Rockstarr

All comments about my dodgy music taste will be appreciated :wink:

Ok!

Have you told your friends and family you're gay, or are we the special ones?

kimahri

CF Legend
Persona 4... Selected soundtrack...

Yeah, that's the only album I got this year... I don't really listen to anything but video game music and a few select tracks. I also stopped Downloading music off p2p software, kinda just lost interest I guess.

So uh my favorite soundtrack of this years is the P4 soundtrack you get with the game!

ryan462

Hyper Poster
My favourites include:

Florence and the machine - Lungs
The Prodigy - Invaders must die
Lily Allen - Its not me, its you
Lady Gaga - The fame monster
Black Eyed Peas - The END
Pixie Lott - Turn it up
Deadmau5 - For lack of better name
Tiesto - Kaleidoscope
Calvin Harris - Ready for the weekend

robbeal

Hyper Poster
This year took a while to get going. The first really great album I got was Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum, and as with every Kasabian album, it took a long time to become great. They're all massive growers. In a way though, i'm not sure it was that great, because I still expected more from it, and it never quite delivered what it promised. Still the first album worth mentioning for me in 2009 though.

Then, in about September/October, things came alive, and there were three all at once.

First one was Jamie T - Kings & Queens. This, as opposed to Kasabian, certainly delivered on its promises and more. As ever with Mr Treays its witty, catchy and brilliant, some of the lyrics are inspired, and some of the stories are compelling. Its not quite an album where i'll listen to every single track, but there's only a couple I tend not to bother with, and tracks like Chaka Demus & Spider's Web are damn near my most played songs of the year.

Only a few weeks later and I got hold of Ian Brown's new album, My Way. Its typical Brown, pompous, self-righteous and cocky, but also exceptionally tuneful. Again there's one of two not worth bothering with, but there's a few brilliant tracks too. Stellify, the title track is the most striking song i've heard in years, with its piano-led tune, which turns into a brass section later. Tracks like Always Remember Me & For The Glory really stand out too. Lyricism isn't really Ian Brown's strong point these days at times though, with some crackers like "I've got my own brain, and anagram of my own name" and "marathon man, catch me if you can" finding their way in, but he still pulls it off without looking stupid!

Finally, Brand New released their new effort this year, and for some reason decided to solely focus their promotion of it in the UK, an odd move for a US band, but obviously they believe over here is where their following is strongest these days. It was always going to take a lot for this album to beat 'The Devil and God...', which is one of my favourite albums of all-time, but it does come close. The fragility and emotion that makes 'The Devil and God...' such a powerful album isn't quite as prevalent in 'Daisy' (the new album) but its still a strong theme. Its a more powerful and heavy album than anything i've heard from them before, but still very emotive. They can range from the fragile 'Noro' and 'Daisy', which both echo 'Devil and God' at the start, to the powerful, almost screamo at times of 'Sink' 'Vices' and 'Gasoline', going via the more poppy moment of 'At The Bottom' and the sheer distortion of 'Be Gone' along the way. This album also has some monstrous percussion at times, which sounds amazing, especially in 'Noro' and some brilliantly effective bass as well in 'Daisy'.

I'd say my favourite of those is probably Jamie T's, but they're all exceptionally close.

Kasabian - Underdog
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5up8kJoCsJM[/youtube]

Jamie T - Spider's Web
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM665mu6Opc[/youtube]

Ian Brown - Stellify
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsct546pCBE[/youtube]

Brand New - Daisy
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjw5UmL8w9c[/youtube]

clecktown

Roller Poster
This year just hasn't really seemed that... good.
I mean, it's been alright.
But it's kind of hard choosing my favourite album.
I think these would be my favourites:

Primary Colours - The Horrors
The band I loved to hate 2 years ago, changed direction into a more My Bloody Valentine style, i.e. a hell of a load of reverb. And Faris Rotter's songwriting definately improved.
Everything Is New - Jack Peñate
Never really been able to stand his voice up to this record. The music more than makes up for it.
The Bachelor - Patrick Wolf
Another great album from the talented genius.
Grammatics - Grammatics
Strong debut from the Leeds newcomers. High-pitched hard-hitting strings-laden pop songs a-plenty.
Embryonic - The Flaming Lips
I don't usually like double albums, as I lose interest, but this just captivates me. Not their best, though (that would be Yoshimi...).
PAWS. - Pull Tiger Tail
Techinally this was recorded a couple of years back, but didn't get released until this year. Very "nostalgic" for me.
Hospice - The Antlers
BEAUTIFUL album. I actually don't regret listening to Pitchfork for once. The closest I've come to crying at a record since first hearing Starálfur by Sigur Rós.
The Resistance - Muse
'Cos it's Muse. And that MK Ultra riff.

Oh, and there's also Editors, Kasabian, Maxïmo Park, Johnny Foreigner, yada-yada-yada...

Glee obviously.

I don't keep track of albums. If I like a song, I like a song. It's not often I'll like a whole album, though, or buy one at that.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
Hmm for me it's between

The Resistance - Muse

Common Dreads - Enter Shikari

In This Light and On This Evening - Editors

Kings & Queens - Jamie T

All are amazing in their own ways but I do have to say Muse's new album was my favourite :)

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Hooray for the numerous mentions of Muse! :)
And Ben, I say we make sure everyone realises the awesomeness of THE FAME MONSTER.

Jer

Strata Poster
Hospice - The Antlers

This album completely ruins my moods. I could be in the best mood, listen to this album then feel like not listening to anything anymore. It really is deep and compelling. But it's that effect on me that keeps me coming back for more. Album of the year, album of the decade, album of forever. Alos it's my set :)