What's new

Texas Giant opening date confirmed

RCF said:
db_IMG_05432.jpg

If that doesn't look like something straight out of NoLimits then I don't know what could anymore :D :D :?

^ I hope not, I agree with you, I think this really is turning into something nice.

Some of the moves this thing makes look extraordinary. Shame the park is kind of isolated, not a large collection of parks in Texas, and a long way to travel just for this bad boy.

I'm still wanting to figure out how this would compare to a full blown wooden tracked coaster, and if it would provide a "rough-ness", if you will, that is identical to a freshly built woodie. I'd think we'd see longer lasting woodies if companies started adapting fully steel rails to their wooden structures.

No no no... Don't kid yourself there ;)

You come across as more like one of those kids in school that doesn't know what it feels like to get anything below a 99% on a test, or in a class for that matter. The one kid who likes to play the role of "know it all", and come across as being cocky all the while being a dick about it, rather than being polite like a normal person would.

this coaster looks ridiculous... especially that quasi-banked airtime hill thing next to the station, and the copious other amounts of unnecessarily over-banked tracks. i just hope that the trains are comfortable, because this coaster is going to throw you around... a lot. whether its in a good way, we'll see, but i can't help but feeling that the guys who designed this were the sort of guys who played on rollercoaster tycoon and built a 400foot tall hill followed by the smallest airtime hill in the world, just to see what it did to the G's

Texas Giant Tuesday!

This picture made me cum a bit
155014_10150092755760991_65853440990_7713390_6617738_n.jpg

First overbank
154643_10150092755810991_65853440990_7713391_2464693_n.jpg

Midcourse
76806_10150092755855991_65853440990_7713392_3356429_n.jpg

Before the finale
148413_10150092755900991_65853440990_7713394_3406556_n.jpg

Man they could've made the watermark just a little bit more inconspicuous.

My word........ If I were to pick 10 coasters that I would ride before i die, this would be one of them.

coasterdude_1 said:
this coaster looks ridiculous... especially that quasi-banked airtime hill thing next to the station, and the copious other amounts of unnecessarily over-banked tracks. i just hope that the trains are comfortable, because this coaster is going to throw you around... a lot. whether its in a good way, we'll see, but i can't help but feeling that the guys who designed this were the sort of guys who played on rollercoaster tycoon and built a 400foot tall hill followed by the smallest airtime hill in the world, just to see what it did to the G's

You clearly have no ****ing clue about what youre talking about.

texas giant

It will be a completely new coaster.

1. Greater drop
2. Track painted red
3. More height and new design
4. Converted to wooden hybrid - steel supports with wooden track

The Texas Giant is one of the 10 best wooden roller coasters in the world

I agree with the guy that said it looks really messed up, because it does...

It could either be really good, or really awful.

I'm wondering about the G's on this bad boy.. especially the airtime. Being it only has lapbars, I'm not too worried about the lats.. but the spots of airtime look either insane or meh.. most rides you can tell but this one is just so.. different.. it confuses my sense.

Of course, it could be a moot point if it's rough as hell.

Re: texas giant

bizarrofan10 said:
. Converted to wooden hybrid - steel supports with wooden track

The Texas Giant is one of the 10 best wooden roller coasters in the world

155014_10150092755760991_65853440990_7713390_6617738_n.jpg

Wood track with steel supports? really?

Second of all, no it's not. Just because Amusement Today says so, doesn't mean it's right. It was very good, incredibly rough, but definitely not top ten material.

Double but there is what looks to be a train on the transfer track. What do y'all think? (credit to TPR for all pics)

giant1_0.jpg

A close up
giant2_0.jpg

Apparently there are gonna be hi-res pics posted on TPR later tonight so when those get posted I'll post them here.

Not necessarily the pictures I was promising but here are some good up close pics

First drop
1stdrop.jpg

Workers at the bottom of the first drop
workers.jpg

Second overbank
2ndturn.jpg

Third overbank
3rdturn.jpg

A slight misalignement on the drop thorugh the lift hill.
alignment.jpg

And the ending, which is looking somewhat "normal"
carpet.jpg

Another set of pics

All looks good on the south side
southside.jpg

Train was in fact on the transfer track, with the nose and fins disconnected (my guess is because it could be put on the track easier
tealtrain.jpg

West side yo!
westside_0.jpg

You know that one hill on Expedition GeForce where you rise up tilted one way, then while you're having airtime the car tilts the other way? There's a similar element on SFA's S:ROS. Not sure what it's called but it seems that Giant will be doing it, too. This might be the surprise favorite moment of the layout.
geforcehill.jpg

RCF said:
You know that one hill on Expedition GeForce where you rise up tilted one way, then while you're having airtime the car tilts the other way? There's a similar element on SFA's S:ROS. Not sure what it's called but it seems that Giant will be doing it, too. This might be the surprise favorite moment of the layout.
I think they're commonly referred to as S-Bend-Hills:

http://www.rcdb.com/1565.htm?p=4535

As for this ride, well, I'm impressed! The third overbank looks great! I can't wait to see trains flying round this bad boy.