What's new

Suicidal man closes Elitch Gardens

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Crowds hoping to have fun in the sun at Elitch Gardens Monday morning were turned away for hours because of a suicidal man.

The man was perched 60 feet up on the Sidewinder ride. He scaled a fence to get into the amusement park about 8 a.m.

Patrons waited in the hot parking lot as police spent hours trying to talk the man down.

Denver firefighters created a drop zone with soft padding in case he jumped. About 1 p.m. they were able to distract the man and then grab him.

Elitch Gardens finally opened for the day at 3 p.m

Video & source: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/06/25/f ... h-gardens/

The parks not that bad is it?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Based on the website It appears to be owned by the same person or group that owns Darien lake. In which case it might be that bad.

Either way though that's an interesting story

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't understand the mentality of people who want to end their lives in front of other people, just to gain attention from it. It's pathetic. I totally have sympathy for someone that feels so low that they can't seem to go on for much longer, but, it's an extremely selfish act to do in front of a lot of people, especially the fact it's at a Theme Park with a lot of Children there.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
It's a nice little park I enjoy the place whenever I go!

This is an interesting story though, at least they were successful in getting the man despite it taking quite a bit of time. I agree with Lofty as well, why a theme park in front of everyone?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Send the car round. **** 'im.

I'm with Lofty. If you think that traumatising a load of other people because you can't get your **** together is an appropriate "way out", then **** you.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Lofty said:
I don't understand the mentality of people who want to end their lives in front of other people, just to gain attention from it. It's pathetic.

Totally agree with this, if he had intention to go through with it he would of, sounds like he just wanted some attention.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
If somebody is going to jump anyway and wants to die, can't the police just shoot him and get it all wrapped up quickly?

It would only take a couple of those before you'd soon find out the difference between the real cases and the attention seekers ;)

Inverse

Hyper Poster
He scaled a fence to get in? Surely, if you intend to die you don't mind spending a bit of money to do it. It's no use to you where you're going. I guess he might not have any money, it could be one of the reasons he's up there... but then you're not going to have to pay the overdraft charge either.