What's new

Stampida at PortAventura

sparky2u

Mega Poster
Went on Stampida - PortAventura last week a few times & It's one of the worst woodies I've ridden, came off with a headache each time & noticed the front wheels of the trains were "lifting in the air " above the tracks on certain parts of the course.

I can't understand why the park changed from PTC to KumbaK trains as it's made the ride worse. I love everything else about it, the course, the duelling, tunnel etc.

Give this coaster either "topper track", new trains or "iron Horse" treatment.

sparky2u said:
& noticed the front wheels of the trains were "lifting in the air " above the tracks on certain parts of the course.

Before people start with "that's airtime!" I take it you mean on flatter sections where the other wheels sat flat - so it was due to a bumpy surface?

It used to be incredible; then Kumbak back along and destroyed it, totally. I really don't think it'll get ANY treatment again, which is a massive shame.

furie said:
sparky2u said:
& noticed the front wheels of the trains were "lifting in the air " above the tracks on certain parts of the course.

Before people start with "that's airtime!" I take it you mean on flatter sections where the other wheels sat flat - so it was due to a bumpy surface?

The wheels were in the air when the trains were coming out of the bends just before the drops, there must be loads of added stress on the train parts as well.

Lofty said:
I really don't think it'll get ANY treatment again.

It could do with a little more graffiti in my opinion ;)

sparky2u said:
The wheels were in the air when the trains were coming out of the bends just before the drops, there must be loads of added stress on the train parts as well.

Is that particularly different from most wooden coasters? Genuine question, I've never really studied them.

If you can manage to ignore the roughness, it's actually a great coaster. I rode the last train of the day at midnight a couple of years ago. My brother and I were sat in the back row and we were the only ones on the train - it FLEW! Seriously one of the best coaster experiences I've ever had.

Unfortunately I've never been able to replicate that experience again and after riding it last year the roughness is now a bit too much for me. It seems to be getting worse every year sadly. I hope they do something to it though because PortAventura would have an epic coaster line-up if they had a smooth Stampida next to Dragon Khan and Shambhala.

I went on it in 2010, and it was my second woodie after Gwazi (which was ****) and I expected it to be just as bad. I actually really enjoyed it; it's incredibly violent, it actually threw my phone out of my pocket, but the airtime on a lot of the drops is really great. Having said that, being a Brit and my main trips being UK parks, Florida and Magic Mountain I haven't had much airtime so I probably overrate it quite a bit. I also enjoy Baco...

I have been riding it since 2004 pretty every year up until 2010 and I have fond memories of it when it had PTc trains of it being a bit rough, but relentless and very exciting. Unfortunetly though from 2008 I noticed it was not really fun anymore and was pretty uncomfortable. I rode it once each of the following years and it got worse each year and on one ride I got completely winded for a few seconds on one of the double ups which completely put me off. I did not understand at the time why it had got worse, as I had not noticed the train change.

Personally I do not think it needs the iron horse treatment, all I think it needs is the return of the Ptc trains and a fair amount of re-tracking and it will reclaim its once honorable nature.

It was terrible in 2007.... The lapbars are the worse. You could tell the ride had a good layout.. but damn, such awful trains.