What's new

Spot the switch tracks!

CoasterCrazy said:
^Cool! So the whole building moves right! (or not)

Has anyone seen octobruco tour's(Gardaland) switch track? It's basically like something you pull down and then push the train...you could make it out of k'nex!

Couldn't find a pic though...

Basically, the back-end, lower part of the building does. The wall moves with the track, not including the roof, it's really neat to see actually although it takes FOREVER.

Iron Dragon's storage thing is pretty cool:
c26f384e.jpg

Hard to see, but basically it drops down underneath the station.

Shame it's the only good part of the ride!

I quite like the one on Nickolodeon streak/rollercoaster at Blackpool. Also the Big One's is pretty cool.

Anyone got a video of Avalanche's? I've seen the switch track but couldn't figure out how the train gets to it.

^How does it work? Does the piece just rotate ~180°?

If you look straight beneath the top track bit where the track is, you see a thing that have the same shape which is the track to get inside the work shop.
The whole thing rotates 180° lengthwise which will make that piece line up with the track the same way it does at this picture but the other way around. A real clever bit of engineering there and very simple.

^Oh, I get it. That's genius. Seriously awesome. :D

Oh, just thought of one that could fit here...

Cobra at Tivoli Friheden:
4i00cjhde1b5ui4bm1uqo0.jpg

Source - RCDB

Also here are two images showing the switch track for Lisebergbanan which I took today...

Lise1.jpg

Normal

Lise2.jpg

Moving

You don't really notice it unless you have seen it in action, even though a big part of the queue are right next to it...

^So does part of the station move too?

Does anyone know about wingrider switch tracks?

I'm pretty sure raptor has one just before the station...perhaps the whole peice of track moves along the rails?

loefet said:
Oh, just thought of one that could fit here...

Cobra at Tivoli Friheden:
4i00cjhde1b5ui4bm1uqo0.jpg

Source - RCDB

I take It the switch track is the track below the break run in the background. That it moves up and the maintainance track is underneath the station.

What about this one on the T-Express at Everland...

yp23W.jpg

Taken by Gavin (presumably) from CF...

It works on the sme concepts as Son of a Beast's loop!

e7mdoo0jt0009e5v5d9c84.jpg

Here is a particularly hideous example of a Vekoma switch track. One piece of track on the main circuit flips over 180 degrees and has a curved bit underneath. The unfortunate fitters then have the job of manually pushing the train backwards from the block brake before the station, until the winch located at the back of the storage track can reach it to pull it the rest of the way. Apparently, despite being knackering, it was easier to move than you would think!

I can't imagine a train being terribly difficult to push. They keep the wheel carriages greased pretty well...

Xpress said:
I can't imagine a train being terribly difficult to push. They keep the wheel carriages greased pretty well...

This was uphill mind, the brake runs are all on a slight incline (you're a NoLimits guy, you probably knew anyway)

I've always thought the Vekoma roll-over switch tracks were a fairly elegant solution. I never noticed the lack of drive wheels, though.

I thought of Lisebergsbanan straight away! It's a very clever solution and really cool when you're in the station while they're switching trians!