What's new

Splash Mountain referb

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Splash Mountain at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in Florida closed on 2 January, 2013 for a three month refurbishment & is scheduled to open again on 19 March, 2013. I checked out the attraction today to see what progress has been made & took a few photos that I thought I would post here for those interested.
The ride was falling apart due to a leak in the pipes that supplied water to the live vegetation on the mountain. That's why they installed tarp over the loading area last year in order to protect everyone from falling debris.

SplashMountainpainting_zps2f27c6a8.jpg

In addition to the repainting (above), they're replacing faux rock work & refurbishing the flume (in the photos below). It looked like there was a lot of other work also going on with a huge crane on the back side of the mountain, but I couldn't see exactly what it was being used for.

SplashMountaingitter_zps8a760984.jpg

SplashMountaindrop_zps9a3413c4.jpg

SplashMountainflume_zpsb6c32158.jpg

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
It's about time. I hope they fix the broken audio-animatronics in the laughing place scene. The ride was that much better when they worked.

Lofty

CF Legend
It's such a fantastic ride. It REALLY needed some TLC, it was filthy when we rode in October, there was just moss EVERYWHERE.

marc

CF Legend
All 15 minutes of sound track played on my iPod on the way to work today, how sad lol.

Do love this ride.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Thought I might get spited reading the topic title, but glad to see by the time I go it will be open again and and its best :).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This ride was under construction when I went to Disney World. Now it's old enough to be getting a complete overhall.

**** me I feel ancient.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
This has been long waiting!

Disney needs to continue upkeeping the parks until Dwarf's Mine opens in order too compete with the sudden power Universal has released!

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I'm glad they spend the time to get it up to scratch. If this one is as good as the one in Cali is then I know I would love it. I get that its ment to fit Frontierland, but when I see this one though, I always think the grass should be thicker/slightly less dead looking near the top-left. It lacks that contrasting colour.

They just NEED to build this ride in Paris! Surely it must be on the cards...

AJ

Giga Poster
^ No one would know what it's FOR though, which SADDENS me <//3

This ride in Cali is FIERCE so let's hope the referb brings it up to that standard <3

marc

CF Legend
Out if the two the one in Cali was better, could not put my finger on why but I just preferred it.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
marc said:
Out if the two the one in Cali was better, could not put my finger on why but I just preferred it.

The drop into the laughing place is slightly different. I agree that the one in Disneyland is better too. It's just something about that drop

spicy

Giga Poster
Always find it strange that one of the largest and most iconic attractions is themed to a banned film.

Nice to see it getting some TLC anyway.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^It's sad that it's banned though. I think it's unnecessary that it's banned anyway. I have a copy and the only thing wrong with it that I can see is that is shows the slaves kind of happy (they're singing) but the rest of the film doesn't really show anything at all? I just think it's Disney being scared to be honest.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^Technically they're not even slaves. Its set after slaves before black people could get any other kind of job.

Dumbo is much worse...

nadroJ

CF Legend
It's all in the context of the time, and if they can have a giant theme park attraction based around the stories in the film then why not just release the film? Crazy.