What's new

Smoothest Vekoma ever

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Oh! Just realized, Disney builds with Vekoma.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was a fantastic coaster, and would merit the "smoothest Vekoma" badge from my ride list.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I agree with the OP. The Millennium Coaster.

Its so ridiculously smooth though that, along with the straight lines of NOTHING it is an awful coaster.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Kumali was as smooth as a baby's bottom. That doesn't make it an interesting ride though...

Again all Disney Vekoma rides seem to be pretty smooth, with the exception of Space Mountain Mission 2, which is fairly rough. Granted, it isn't unbearable in my opinion, but it does seem to be getting worse. I read somewhere (can't remember where exactly) that this is because the trains were designed to run on a larger "less tight" layout, which was originally planned for Space Mountain. With the fact that they were using on board audio, the trains were built early on. The layout later changed to become "tighter" and the trains weren't particularly suited to that. (Can anyone find a source for this, I don't know whether to believe it or not.)

Their newer layouts that don't use the old "Arrow" style track seem to be glass smooth. I've noticed that the worst culprits are the early MK-1200 coasters, (Corkscrew with Bayerncurve, Whirlwind, Tornado, Hurricane etc.) With these early rides, you can visually see sections of track that just look wrong. However I believe that a lot of the roughness is down to the trains, and can become a lot smoother with the new models from Vekoma. Corkscrew at Genting Highlands is a prime example of this, although it obviously still isn't glass smooth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiB4cBSmhaY[/youtube]

Millennium Coaster on the other hand, does look as smooth as a baby's bottom, even with those horrificly cramped, round Vekoma trains.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov706BbJmAI[/youtube]