What's new

SMEG!

John91

Mega Poster
That 3 parter was almost as embarrassing as the Moto GP last night. I did like the name Reg Wharf though.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I loved the last two episodes!

It was simply good fun.

I think a lot of people had far too high expectations and will always try and compare them to the older episodes.

I watched them with an open mind and really enjoyed them. I couldn't care less if it's "not as good as series 4 or whatever", I enjoyed the Back To Earth episodes immensely.

Ben

CF Legend
Last night's was a slight improvement on Saturday's, but still drastically, dramatically terrible.

Dave

CF Legend
Yes Saturday's one was dire, I could've died of boredom when those kids were talking on the bus.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I thought the kids on the bus bit was quite funny. "She watched Titanic and she knew the boat would sink." It was just so ridiculous yet really enjoyable. The kids acting was toss though, but then again what do you expect?

And LOL at the typewriter bit, with Rimmer ramming his nuts on the edge of the table. Very funny!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Ian said:
I loved the last two episodes!

It was simply good fun.

I think a lot of people had far too high expectations and will always try and compare them to the older episodes.

I watched them with an open mind and really enjoyed them. I couldn't care less if it's "not as good as series 4 or whatever", I enjoyed the Back To Earth episodes immensely.

Agreed.

I knew if I had mega high hopes, it wouldn't deliver. I simply watched it as if I'd watched a handful of shows before and it was just another episode, rather than anything special.

Probably also helps that I watched part two straight before part three because I was out Saturday.

And yes, the best bits all seemed to come in the last episode (I think), when Rimmer pushed her into the road, when Rimmer was humping the table, and then when Kat throws the vase and it smacks off The Creators head in the background.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I thought it was dire. The first two episodes were dull as dishwater and neither of us (I watched with Minor_Furie) laughed once in that first hour.

I did everything right, and made sure I'd had four cans of wicked strength lager before watching them back to back.

The third episode was actually amusing. I smirked a few times and laughed out loud once. Then when it became clear it was just a rehash of
the Squid of Despair
I wanted to throw something through the TV.

It had made such an epic attempt to avoid being the horrid catch-phrase comedy the later series were. It was trying (and failing) to recapture some of the early series brilliance (the parody and the simple quips and one liners). However, it just wasn't funny. Not in a "compared to the others" way, just in a "it wasn't funny" way. As I say, the third episode did have some moments, but the rest was as funny as "Keeping up Appearances". In fact, when they were on the set of Corrie, I wished it would become a Manc soap, as it would be much more amusing and decently scripted!

Ben

CF Legend
As I say, the third episode did have some moments, but the rest was as funny as "Keeping up Appearances".

Uh... Keeping Up Appearances was amazing.

And it's the Despair Squid.

God Furie...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
As I say, the third episode did have some moments, but the rest was as funny as "Keeping up Appearances".

Uh... Keeping Up Appearances was amazing.

It's people like you who keep bollocks on our TV's you know? :p

Ben said:
And it's the Despair Squid.

God Furie...

Yeah, it probably was, but Squid of Despair sounds several thousand times better. Shows that the show was well on its way out even at that point. Oh yeah, of course it was as that was actually the last funny episode ever made...

Nic

Strata Poster
ok, so due to being...
a) in a tent on easter sunday
b) asleep on easter monday and
c) generally rubbish

I've only just this minute seen part 3. And...

I thought it was brilliant! It actualyl made me laugh. The storyline and twists and turns were proper Red Dwarf. Hurrah! Still, I think if I'd have seen it on Easter Sunday with the rest of the world, I'd still have been far too horified with Part 2 that I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. I'm glad I'm rubbish :)