What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

emoo

Hyper Poster
News from a small theme park: The new fair at Miniatur Wunderland is now open. Just look at all those dazzling LEDs and incredible motion on some of the flat rides.

This was a really cool Youtube series to follow, so glad I came cross this place.

adrenaline1996

Mega Poster
(Regarding the Tornado at Salitre Magico and Tornado at Selva Magica)
The one in Salitre had some bad structural issues, stress fractures and the like. However I belive it was taken down and stored rather than sent to the scrap yard.

On the Selva Magica one I have no idea at the moment. Have some friends down that way I'll see if they know anything.

Are there any updates on this?

Matt N

CF Legend
Still quite gutted I never got to ride Scenic when I was in Canterbury last October; my family nearly took a trip down to Margate, but the park was closed the day we were going to go, unfortunately...

The video is nice, however, and it’s nice to see such an icon being celebrated!

shawnoc

Mega Poster
I think the claim can still stand as the original lift mechanism is the original and the layout has not changed.
What old wooden coaster do you know that has any original wood left. It’s the fact that the layout, mechanism and experience is the same as when it was first built.
I’m in the camp of celebrate this milestone.

Heth

Mega Poster
The human body replaces cells all the time, in fact it replaces virtually all cells every 7 to 10 years. By that logic, you are not the same person you were 10 years ago! Despite this, we all consider ourselves the same person at 10 years old and 50 years old.

That is kind of how I feel about coasters. The coaster is more than the sum of its beams and track, it is the whole package. The ride is 100 years old even if bits are replaced...lots of bits even

Peet

Giga Poster
I consider it the same coaster for the reasons above.

However the awkward thought experiment is this - what if all the old wood that was removed for the rebuild was taken somewhere else and reassembled into the shape of the original coaster - which would then be the "original" coaster, the one on the original site or the reassembled one? The reassembled one would certainly have been considered the same coaster if there hadn't been a new one built on the original site.

A slightly more in-depth version of Trigger's broom is the Ship of Theseus:

The fact is there is no right answer to this question, it's a philosophical matter.

Anyway, since the old wood was not reassembled but instead given away in chunks and/or sold in a gift shop, I should be safe in considering it the same coaster - that's actually a shame for me since otherwise I'd have an extra cred to my count!

I think the claim can still stand as the original lift mechanism is the original and the layout has not changed.
What old wooden coaster do you know that has any original wood left. It’s the fact that the layout, mechanism and experience is the same as when it was first built.
I’m in the camp of celebrate this milestone.

Of course coasters get retracked and repaired all the time. But look at the wood, you can see it's new! It burned down! The structure of the ride is new even if the soul is old.

I have no doubt about is significance and am disappointed that in my many visits to Margate I've never been able to ride. But realistically is not 100 years old and it doesn't look like it rides like an decrepit coaster (it's not The Big Dipper or The Grand National afterall).

Could you claim Iron Gwazi as the same coaster as Gwazi? It probably has as much of the original as the Scenic Railway does?

rob666

Hyper Poster
The big dipper had a massive layout change after twenty years.
So half of the ride is not original.
Didnt stop me really enjoying its 90th birthday though.
Pop, cake, candles and everything.