What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but it would seem that the BLM movement has made its way into theme parks, as there is now a petition to retheme Splash Mountain at the Disney parks due to its links with Song of the South, a film about racial relationships: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/25...ash-mountain-and-it-has-the-perfect-candidate

One person even designed them a retheme based on The Princess and the Frog.

What are your thoughts? I personally think that Splash Mountain is fine as it is, because it omits all of the film’s more controversial, race-based elements, and to be honest, I wouldn’t even have linked it with a film about race having ridden it.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I think the retheme to TPATF is probably too far, but there are still elements of TSOTS still around (notably the music) which could be removed. Given Disney's best efforts to bury that film and kill any method of watching it, I'm surprised they still allow any element to remain on the ride to be honest.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Maybe Flamingoland's 10-looper drama has been strung out for too long at this point, but it's so odd how so many of Intamin's multi-loopers can't seem to dig in their roots. If my math and history are correct, eight of these were built across two iterations of the 10 inversion model and the 8 inversion model. Monte Makaya has yet to be rebuilt at its new location in Miribilandia (South America) and now it appears like a second 8 inversion model will be on the move. Although both installments of 10 inversion model Rev A have remained put, Rev B has seen Flamingoland's coaster travel all over the globe. With Wonderland Eurasia's uncertain future, who knows what will happen with Lightspeed...but I bet it'll find a new home as well.

"Used Rides" dot com is also listing that Intamin multi-looper and they do have a price disclosed: $500,000. I don't recall seeing this website like I have Amusement-Rides so I can't speak to the validity of the listing.

So anybody want to crowd fund an Intamin?

Can one of us contact Lightwater Valley or Drayton Manor and say this is only 500 000 ahaha ??????

AJ1980

Roller Poster
Harborland had a nice collection of rides (Intamin 8 Looper, Intamin Spillwater, Huss Giant Frisbee & Huss Top Spin plus a Vertical Swing and Shot/Drop Tower), I assume the rest will hit the second hand market as well? Could be a nice package pickup

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
$500,000 is about the price of a large family home. I know it’s an Intamin 8-looper with the old trains, but that could be a bargain buy for many small parks out there!
The price might be a bargain, but not when you add on transportation, location and construction costs. Those are generally the higher numbers when it comes to buying used coasters.